New Mag1 website looks good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mustangmaster
Highlight the line that says the oil life monitor knows I have Mag1 in the engine.

Not that it knows a specific oil, just that it knows anything about different ones at all.

I never said that either. I just said I used Mag1 and had 31% oil life left at the 11,000 mile point. How can everybody get this so messed up where they think I work for Mag1 and am fanatical and think the oil life monitor knows different oils are in the engine? Just tried to share some info on an oil that is good and people insinuated all kinds of crazy stuff. Hey, if you don’t want to try Mag1, no skin off my back. Use something else. Doesn’t matter to me. Just sharing my experience with it. That’s all.

Last edited:
Quote:
Recommendation:
1st choice No recommendation for this application. Please contact your vehicle/equipment manufacturer for fluid recommendations.
(a)
Capacity: 0.74(gal)
Gearbox
Recommendation:
1st choice No recommendation for this application. Please contact your vehicle/equipment manufacturer for fluid recommendations.
Capacity: 0.26(gal)
Coolant
Recommendation:
AIR

LOL

Why all the hate for the OP? He didn't say his OLM knows what brand oil he's running. I thought he just meant it is better quality. Also, I'm sure Warren can produce different qualities of their product. It may or may not be the same as ST. I think the OP was just happy with the mag1. Maybe some of you work for mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Why all the hate for the OP? He didn't say his OLM knows what brand oil he's running. I thought he just meant it is better quality. Also, I'm sure Warren can produce different qualities of their product. It may or may not be the same as ST. I think the OP was just happy with the mag1. Maybe some of you work for mobil 1.
Mustangmaster isn't the OP

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Mustangmaster isn't the OP

So he's not. Still a big pile-on for a guy who's been a BITOG member for nearly ten years. I enjoy learning from this site and often search for information in the old posts. We don't want people to avoid posting because someone may rip them a new one if they don't know exactly how something works. I'm not sure how the OLM works. I thought it likely varied slightly from manufacture to manufacturer. It seems as if oil quality had nothing to do with the OLM, it would appear at the same number of miles after every oil change. Wouldn't the efficiency at which the engine is running be based at least in part on the quality of the oil? When the efficiency gets low enough, isn't that when the monitor alerts you to change the oil. If not, enlighten me.

I’m a rookie here. I don’t have many posts. Maybe that’s why. A rookie that’s been changing his oil for 40 years.
We're just giving you a hard time
crackmeup2.gif

I just did an oil change in my 2011 V6 Ford Mustang. Had 0W-20 Mag1 and put it in again. I changed the oil at 11,000 miles and the oil life monitor said I still had 31% oil life left! I have never had an oil go so long and the monitor saying I still had so much life left. Including Mobil 1. This is a real sleeper oil in my opinion. Usually when I get close to an oil change, my mugs get about 10% worse. Didn’t happen this time even at 11,000 miles with Mag1. Best stuff I’ve ever used and at a good price.

Just to be clear, that isn't how the OLM works. It cannot sample your oil to check its condition. It is entirely based off driving habits and mileage. You could have had ANY BRAND of motor oil in your engine and you would have had your monitor say you had 31% oil life left during this run.

If your Mustang has a direct reading iOLM it’ll be the only one I’ve ever seen on a Ford. The one on my 3.7 appears to be nothing except a mileage counter. If it uses an algorithm it makes extremely small adjustments to the percentage.

If my Mustang’s OLM is a mileage meter, why did it say I had 31% oil life left at 11,000 miles when other oils say it’s time to change the oil between 7000 and 8000 miles? It’s obviously more than a mileage counter. The link I posted in my previous post explains it pretty good.

I like this guy’s take on oil life monitors. At about 3:15 in the video, he explains how they work. Later he says he likes to go in between what the owner’s manual says for oil change mileage and what the OLM says. I think that’s a pretty good approach. I let mine go to 11,000 miles this time. Probably the most I’ve ever gone but, plan on going less in the future. Probably around 8000 or 9000 sounds pretty safe to me and that’s letting it go fairly long.

https://youtu.be/jli8XsURhn4

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
.... had 31% oil life left! I have never had an oil go so long and the monitor saying I still had so much life left. Including Mobil 1.
You're delusional if you think the OLM has anything to do with what oil you're using.

Not delusional at all. Sure most engines don't directly sense oil quality, but some do. BMW and Mercedes do.

Most engines (Ford, GM, etc.) just estimate what the oil might be like based on the conditions it has had. The German car sensors actually can detect when the oil has changed too much, indicating age and/or contamination.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/226/dielectric-constant-oil-analysis
http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/no-more-guesswork-mercedes-benz-sensor-tells-when-change-oil

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If your Mustang has a direct reading iOLM it’ll be the only one I’ve ever seen on a Ford. The one on my 3.7 appears to be nothing except a mileage counter. If it uses an algorithm it makes extremely small adjustments to the percentage.

The same with our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. No matter the season, weather or driving conditions it tics off 10% of oil life per 1,000 miles driven without fail. For example since Dec 5th It's been driven 3,600 miles and idled with the remote start during a very cold period. Yet the iOLM says oil life is at 64%. I get the same iOLM reading in the summer doing all highway vacation driving. The iOLM appears to be just a 10,000 mile oil counter like the one in our 2005 Explorer which is a 5,000 mile oil counter.

Whimsey

And as progress continues, the oil life monitors will only get better and better. As the oils will too. I have heard some synthetics called lubricants instead of oils. Looking forward to all the progress in all these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back