New Line: Motul 8100 Power

I can't find the new 8100 5w30 PDS. Their line is a bit confusing.

5w40 specs:

1689601056824.jpg

I spoke with the motul rep last month when I was looking for the Sport 5w40 and it was back ordered for a few months and they told me this is the same as their old sport 5W 40 oil. It was just a marketing gimmick to change the name and that the Sport was discontinued. I have not compared the pds sheets. I bit the bullet and bought 300v from fcp euro instead. Fwiw the map on this 8100 Power 5-40 is now listed at $86, not much less than 300v.

I spoke with the motul rep last month when I was looking for the Sport 5w40 and it was back ordered for a few months and they told me this is the same as their old sport 5W 40 oil. It was just a marketing gimmick to change the name and that the Sport was discontinued. I have not compared the pds sheets. I bit the bullet and bought 300v from fcp euro instead. Fwiw the map on this 8100 Power 5-40 is now listed at $86, not much less than 300v.

Perhaps it's a matter of SN vs SP.,,?

Oh yes, Motul made a big deal of their old Motul Sport Ester , when in reality it didn't have that much.

They also got fined in Germany some years ago for selling some Group 3 oils as Vollsyntetisch in Germany.

Their 300V line is the good stuff, the rest of their oils are not really anything that special.

Oh yes, Motul made a big deal of their old Motul Sport Ester , when in reality it didn't have that much.

They also got fined in Germany some years ago for selling some Group 3 oils as Vollsyntetisch in Germany.

Their 300V line is the good stuff, the rest of their oils are not really anything that special.
The point of sport as well as this new one is to bridge divide between racing (300V) and street oil (X-Cess). It has better detergency than 300V. It is not all about base stock.
Also, X-Cess and X-Clean 5W40 are very stout oils. Both have higher HTHS than competition (approved oils). I used 300V and X-Cess, as well as Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 on track, and 5K intervals and all did exceptional, and 3 UOA (Castrol , Motul, PPE) showed that regardless I abused vehicle on tack, I did not have any extra wear over UOA done with just street driving.
So, if I was doing track 1-2 times a month, and used car as daily, this oil would be good choice.

I have used their Motul Specifc oils a couple of times.

As long as it meets the specs I need I am happy.

A couple of years agai Motul Specific was one of the few 508/509 0w20 oils you could find easily.

Loads more options now though.

And prices for Motul Specific 508/509 have gone crazy recently, like £117 for 5 litres crazy in some Websites and eBay sellers.

RRP is £108 and you can buy 5 litres on OpieOils for £68, which is the only place I would ever buy it anyway

The point of sport as well as this new one is to bridge divide between racing (300V) and street oil (X-Cess). It has better detergency than 300V. It is not all about base stock.
Also, X-Cess and X-Clean 5W40 are very stout oils. Both have higher HTHS than competition (approved oils). I used 300V and X-Cess, as well as Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 on track, and 5K intervals and all did exceptional, and 3 UOA (Castrol , Motul, PPE) showed that regardless I abused vehicle on tack, I did not have any extra wear over UOA done with just street driving.
So, if I was doing track 1-2 times a month, and used car as daily, this oil would be good choice.
Yeah their XCess and XClean are ok, but not significantly better than other brands with the same specs.

A really good European 5W-40 is LM Synthoil, it's PAO and Ester based, and in Europe it can in fact be found rebottled in another brand called Meguin Superleichtlauf 5W-40, which is significantly cheaper, 14.7cst @100c , nice strong additive package with plenty of Zddp etc, very good oil that can be found here for around 35-40€ / 5L.

Last edited:
A really good European 5W-40 is LM Synthoil, it's PAO and Ester based, and in Europe it can in fact be found rebottled in another brand called Meguin Superleichtlauf 5W-40, which is significantly cheaper.
Uh oh, you praised an LM oil. Edy will be summoned to disagree 😂.

Back