New law limits DIY auto repairs

Many cities outside of Cali have ordinances that say, for instance, a car can't stay parked for more than 72 hours on a street and such. Almost never enforced unless your neighbors are jerks, it's street cleaning day, or your live where there's snow removal.
also depends on how gentrified your City/neighborhood is. I’ve seen cars parked for weeks before the cops orange tag it. But, the next neighborhood over, people are quick to call the cops for parked cars.

this was instituted almost 2 years ago--it's just remanufactured outrage and California bashing, IMO (a lot of other municipalities nationwide have similar ordinances).

The target seems pretty clear: mobile fly-by-night repair shops. I have seen some crazy stuff in California, including the guys doing a transmission swap on the sidewalk outside of a rental condo of mine. Pretty ingenious, actually. They unbolted the subframe and lifted the chassis off of the ground--had it up in the air on some cut 2x4's... They managed the whole thing in about 6 hours.

I think it's a lot of hand wringing over nothing.
Oakland passed a law banning auto repairs at parts stores for the same reason. There was a particular AutoZone in a far from gentrified part of town(but starting to slowly) on Bancroft and 73rd that had many clandestine mechanics operating there.

Back