New KYB Strut Plus - popping noise on turns?

Didn't the KYB kit come with new nuts? They are usually taped onto the studs.
Yes but I prefer to use the OEM ones. The ones in the kit looked like cheap Chinese garbage nuts that you can get at the hardware store bins

Reactions: D60
This is copied from the KYB instructions (emphasis is theirs):

Always use the new nut supplied! When a threaded nut is included with the KYB shock or strut it is necessary to use the new nut: Do not re-use the old one. For production purposes and quality consistency, KYB may supply a special nut that matches the new mounting stud.

This is copied from the KYB instructions (emphasis is theirs):
Thank you however I’m still on the fence about that because only the front left strut assembly is making that noise. A quick google search on forums popped up a lot of people having the same issue with the same brand quick strut as mine.

I had a helper turn the wheel while I was listening for noises and I could hear the top hat popping/knocking at full lock left. I repeated this several times and I was able to determine through that that the strut mount bearing is faulty. RA is refunding me once I receive my replacement and send this one back.

Thank you however I’m still on the fence about that because only the front left strut assembly is making that noise. A quick google search on forums popped up a lot of people having the same issue with the same brand quick strut as mine.

I had a helper turn the wheel while I was listening for noises and I could hear the top hat popping/knocking at full lock left. I repeated this several times and I was able to determine through that that the strut mount bearing is faulty. RA is refunding me once I receive my replacement and send this one back.
I've heard (sorry I didn't warn ya before now) about the quick struts KYB is selling, they have had problems with the top mount. I think it was a posting on here where someone said KYB knew about it and kept selling it. I hope you get a good one, but if you don't.. what's the plan?

I had some quik struts from Moog back 10 years ago.. suckers were on the bump stops in 2 months and I never hit anything! Had it re-done with sachs shocks and oem mounts.. still going fine after a decade!! Just wondering if this doesn't work out you go the route of building one yourself??

I've heard (sorry I didn't warn ya before now) about the quick struts KYB is selling, they have had problems with the top mount. I think it was a posting on here where someone said KYB knew about it and kept selling it. I hope you get a good one, but if you don't.. what's the plan?

I had some quik struts from Moog back 10 years ago.. suckers were on the bump stops in 2 months and I never hit anything! Had it re-done with sachs shocks and oem mounts.. still going fine after a decade!! Just wondering if this doesn't work out you go the route of building one yourself??
My plan (which was my original plan) is to buy Sachs struts and strut mounts and go to the junkyard to locate OEM springs. The PO of my car had some quick struts in there from before and they bought the cheapest of the cheap you could find. Some Amazon brand called “OREDY” quick struts. When I removed them and looked at the quality or lack there of, it went from “OREDY” to “OHHELLNO!” In my head real quick 🤣

My plan (which was my original plan) is to buy Sachs struts and strut mounts and go to the junkyard to locate OEM springs. The PO of my car had some quick struts in there from before and they bought the cheapest of the cheap you could find. Some Amazon brand called “OREDY” quick struts. When I removed them and looked at the quality or lack there of, it went from “OREDY” to “OHHELLNO!” In my head real quick 🤣

old used OE springs from the junkyard probably won't be any good. Like someone else already said, these cars are prone to sagging springs.

Rock Auto carries Lesjofors springs. Lesjofors is a huge OE supplier.

Sachs makes or used to make quick struts for your car, but all four aren't available, so either they're on backorder or have been discontinued :cautious:

old used OE springs from the junkyard probably won't be any good. Like someone else already said, these cars are prone to sagging springs.

Rock Auto carries Lesjofors springs. Lesjofors is a huge OE supplier.

Sachs makes or used to make quick struts for your car, but all four aren't available, so either they're on backorder or have been discontinued :cautious:
I saw that and it sucks!! This is such a common car so I think you’re right about them being back ordered 😔

I would strongly suggest re-visiting the install and following the directions fully.

Improper installation is usually what we always found to be the fault when diagnosing this condition post-DIY. That you found a lot of other people also making mistakes, is pretty common.

I would strongly suggest re-visiting the install and following the directions fully.

Improper installation is usually what we always found to be the fault when diagnosing this condition post-DIY. That you found a lot of other people also making mistakes, is pretty common.
I can recheck my torque specs and swap out the top mount nuts for the one that came with the struts but I don’t think that it will make a difference. Again, only the left side is doing it and not the right side. Everything was torqued to factory specs with a CDI torque wrench and marked. I’m not a perfect person so I’ll recheck.

For amusement:

LOL!! I love that.. ohhellno.. perfect! If you can't find Sachs, because they seem to be hard to find lately.. Try Bilstein. I'm going to replace the suspension in the Civic and that's what I bought to replace the Sachs. They weren't that much more money that anything else.
I saw that and it sucks!! This is such a common car so I think you’re right about them being back ordered 😔
Ahh.. my question has been answered! If Bilstein's are available go for it! B6 I think is the ones I have ready to get installed. Not doing it right now, gotta get more $$$ to do the install..

LOL!! I love that.. ohhellno.. perfect! If you can't find Sachs, because they seem to be hard to find lately.. Try Bilstein. I'm going to replace the suspension in the Civic and that's what I bought to replace the Sachs. They weren't that much more money that anything else.

Ahh.. my question has been answered! If Bilstein's are available go for it! B6 I think is the ones I have ready to get installed. Not doing it right now, gotta get more $$$ to do the install..
They don’t make Billy’s for my car unfortunately… that’s the first brand I went after when I bought the Camry. My Mustang and F150 both have Bilsteins!

oh duh, I didn't look at your tag line! well that isn't fun.. now I'm just sad!
you know.. if you're willing to take another chance with rockauto.. I did see they have Sachs struts available in the parts list! I know you'd have to build it yourself (springs, mounts, etc) but.. Might be better than what else is out there?

I had the strut nut issue involving a TSB with the Honda- I never knew they could get so anal about a nut. But it had a popping noise and was gone after new nuts installed and properly torqued.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Before you order Sachs i would do my best to make sure it isn't the same thing reboxed as there have been reports of that.

If it is an actual ZF Sachs strut it is a better strut than KYB.

Before you order Sachs i would do my best to make sure it isn't the same thing reboxed as there have been reports of that.

If it is an actual ZF Sachs strut it is a better strut than KYB.
I strongly suspect that ZF/Sachs is trying to get into the all makes/models aftermarket business like some other big names.

It doesn't make sense for them to spend real R&D money to produce high end components for 10-20 yr old economy Asian vehicles; it doesn't seem to match their typical audience.

Back