New here and question about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you can notice I am new here.
I was at Walmart yesterday and and noticed some new synthetic oil I've never seen, the brand is super tech, it is only 19.97$.
Is it any good

The tune it brand has been discontinued and the new super tech seems to replace it for almost 12$ less

Does it compare to motomaster gold synthetic or is it any better?

I'll be using 5w20 for my cars
5w40 for my vw cabrio
And 10w30 for a john deere riding mower

The Toyota 0w16 grade seems unavailable under any brands at the moment and my corolla needs that.

Sorry if post is messed up, my head works a strange way ( and in French)

Originally Posted by Sunstealth
Like you can notice I am new here.
I was at Walmart yesterday and and noticed some new synthetic oil I've never seen, the brand is super tech, it is only 19.97$.
Is it any good

The tune it brand has been discontinued and the new super tech seems to replace it for almost 12$ less

Does it compare to motomaster gold synthetic or is it any better?

I'll be using 5w20 for my cars
5w40 for my vw cabrio
And 10w30 for a john deere riding mower

The Toyota 0w16 grade seems unavailable under any brands at the moment and my corolla needs that.

Sorry if post is messed up, my head works a strange way ( and in French)

welcome2.gif

First time you've been to Walmart? Supertech's been around since the Cretaceous!

Supertech is Wal-Mart's house brand.
It carries all the current approvals for most gasoline vehicles and you'll find that it's good stuff!
The Supertech brand also has offerings for diesel engines.
You should be able to find it in just about all the viscosity grades you mentioned including 0w-16.

Cheers!!!
11.gif

Supertech motor oil is bottled and branded exclusively for Walmart. It has only been offered in synthetic grades for a few years now. There are threads here where it has been reported who bottles it for Walmart, but with any product of this type, I wouldn't depend upon the same source all the time. Walmart could change suppliers whenever a contract expires and they can get a cheaper source. Supertech motor oils all meet the API service categories, but I doubt they are designed to exceed any of them.

I prefer to watch for rebates and stock up when they are offered on Pennzoil and Mobil 1. With rebates, I can buy either of these name brand oils for less than what Walmart is asking for the equivalent Supertech product. Even without discounts, there are plenty of name brand motor oils to choose from for only a few $ more. Skip a couple coffees on the way to work in the morning, and you can pay the difference, and know that you have a quality product in your crankcase, not one that was awarded to the lowest bidder.

welcome2.gif

Mobil 1 (M1) 0W-16 is PAO/AN-based, which is as good as it gets, and it's available at Walmart. Use ship-to-store if it's not in stock. Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) 0W-16 in North America is also made by ExxonMobil, but it's GTL-based; so, it's a bit lower in quality.

Super Tech or any other oil is fine as long as it has the specs/certifications you need.

Actually, Supertech replaced Tune-It in the spring of 2018 at most Walmart's in Canada. Here is a photo of one of the last jugs available in Calgary. There is an on going discussion on how good it is, but it does meet the API requirements. I'm not going to bother to take sides.
smile.gif

550D8E33-F996-41F0-9C98-A568646C8329.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Actually, Supertech replaced Tune-It in the spring of 2018 at most Walmart's in Canada. Here is a photo of one of the last jugs available in Calgary. There is an on going discussion on how good it is, but it does meet the API requirements. I'm not going to bother to take sides.
smile.gif

It says "powered by SuperTech"...so is/was this a Warren made oil exclusive to Canada, or someone else??

Last edited:
I do wrench, in fact I grew up at my dad's garage. But I moved about 100 kms from the garage location and with works and being a new dad time get squeezed to get there. There is the reason I am asking for this oil I've never seen before since it is cheaper than any other brands.
As an example, Castrol syntech is 48$ for a 4 litres + 15% txs

Try it. If its API cert you are good to go.

Doubt they will have something that will meet your VW spec.

Corolla will do fine on a quality 0W20

IDK about warranty.

Please snap and post a picture of the "new" SuperTech from your location so we can compare with what's sold in the "states". Thanks and welcome!

i am not at walmart at the moment but it is this jug that ive seen (written in litres and french)

1f...h=450&odnHeight=450&odnBg=ffffff

Last edited:
i am not at walmart at the moment but it is this jug that ive seen (written in litres and french)

1f...h=450&odnHeight=450&odnBg=ffffff

If it's the same label and jug design but in French & litres, I'd bet that's the same API/DEXOS licensed Warren made ST oil here stateside just with a diff label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back