New Goodman furnace

I recently had a new Goodman furnace installed. Nothing special, 80k btu/ 80% propane downdraft Goodman GCES80.

My question is, can the fan speeds for the different modes; AC, fan only and heat; be set at the same speed? My installer claimed they can't. The manual doesn't really say.

Currently the fan speeds are AC>high, Fan>med and heat> low. I need the fan only to run on high too.

It's a down draft furnace so to get to the control board quite a bit of disassembly is required. Speed control is via dip switches.

I would initiate a service call and explain your concerns. Sometimes the servicers know more than the installers.

I would initiate a service call and explain your concerns. Sometimes the servicers know more than the installers.
It's the same people and I already asked when they were out here a week after install due to a blown fuse.

It's a generationally owned business so not exactly highly 'officially' trained.

Another www.hvac-talk.com question.

Of course you wouldn't want the AC and heat speeds to be the same.

The manual should explain how to set all this stuff. How do you know what the speeds are now? On some units the fan speed is some % of the AC speed and not separately adjustable.

jeff

Many of these newer hvac systems run the fan at different speeds to be more efficient. My girlfriend had a new super efficient system put in several years ago. The system varies the speed of the fan to keep the thermostat happy. It gets very little air to the top floor. I talked to a service guy about it and he just said "the latest and greatest isn't always the best." He was with the company that installed it. It varies speed with heat and cooling. We have to use window units in the bedrooms.

Pages 11,12, and 13 of the following manual show dip switch settings for cooling, heating, and circulation blower speeds for your GCES80 model. It sure seems that it is possible to change motor speeds, but I have zero experience with your furnace.

The page bottom comments read: "All furnaces ship as high-speed cooling and medium-speed heating. Installer must adjust blower cool-ing and heating speed as needed."

Reactions: JC1
Pages 11,12, and 13 of the following manual show dip switch settings for cooling, heating, and circulation blower speeds for your GCES80 model. It sure seems that it is possible to change motor speeds, but I have zero experience with your furnace.

The page bottom comments read: "All furnaces ship as high-speed cooling and medium-speed heating. Installer must adjust blower cool-ing and heating speed as needed."
Yes I know how to change the speeds. But it takes quite a bit of disassembly to get to the dip switches.

When I turn on the fan only I want it at high speed, same as the AC is now. The heat at low speed. The furnace will seldom be used for heat though, only in extreme cold temps below 0F.

Page 4 shows that you disconnect the pressure switch and remove six sheet metal screws on the inner door panel to gain access to the control board. I can't imagine any other way to set fan speeds. https://www.theacoutlet.com/documents/Repair-Parts-Goodman-GCES80.pdf

Maybe you could set the thermostat to run the furnace in heat mode with the gas turned off? That probably will trigger a shut down error if the board senses a no-fire condition.

Reactions: JC1
It's a down draft furnace and the exhaust blower and front panel needs to come out.

I know how to adjust. I know how to get access. But the service/installers are telling me I cannot run the fan at the same speed for different modes. Goodman will not offer advice to the owner.

You need 400cf of air for every ton of cooling, taking into consideration the loss of airflow through ductwork.

You set heating speed based on the temperature rise of the air. Find the spec for temperature rise on the model # plate.

If you don't have the proper tools or training, don't mess with it. You'll affect efficiency and safety.

You need 400cf of air for every ton of cooling, taking into consideration the loss of airflow through ductwork.

You set heating speed based on the temperature rise of the air. Find the spec for temperature rise on the model # plate.

If you don't have the proper tools or training, don't mess with it. You'll affect efficiency and safety.
The AC is on high speed and that is what I want.

I want to change the fan only speed to high. I'm told I cannot do that.

Just run a tap from the high speed to fan to run high speed.

sometimes running A/C on high is not beneficial ,it pass air over the coil too quick which leads to less dehumidification of the air.

Just read you have dip switches and not terminals Sooooo may not be feasible.

Last edited:
Our repair guy said he turned up temperature and the fan speed since the ducting is a lousy design. Not sure if that is true or he just wanted to make it sound good. We have a Goodman but is about 10 years old now.

It's a down draft furnace and the exhaust blower and front panel needs to come out.

I know how to adjust. I know how to get access. But the service/installers are telling me I cannot run the fan at the same speed for different modes. Goodman will not offer advice to the owner.
I know, we are just giving you diy, arm chair quarterback advice. The manual is showing one thing, but reality is often different. Are your heater guys telling you the truth, don't know, or are lazy to change it? I do greenhouse and light HVAC work at my workplace - experience with dip switch control boards but not Goodman in particular. More than once I have second guessed the trades guy, only to find out they were correct. Next time I see my heater guy, I'll pose the question to him.

I know, we are just giving you diy, arm chair quarterback advice. The manual is showing one thing, but reality is often different. Are your heater guys telling you the truth, don't know, or are lazy to change it? I do greenhouse and light HVAC work at my workplace - experience with dip switch control boards but not Goodman in particular. More than once I have second guessed the trades guy, only to find out they were correct. Next time I see my heater guy, I'll pose the question to him.
I'm assuming my heater guys don't know. The manual does not say I can have the same setting of the hi speed for AC and fan only. Might be translation problems though...

Back