New Fram Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Wal-Mart tonight... I hate going, but the wife sent me.

I went down the ORANGE isle, and there was a new Fram Tough Guard air filter. I looked up my info for my Ranger, and the Tough Guard was $3.00 cheaper?

It is in a sealed package, and is oiled paper. On the package, it said that it also has a stronger frame.

How do you think an oiled paper filter would work vs. a regular paper filter. Kind of mixing K&N with paper
confused.gif

I was going to pick one up, it was only $10.00, but I talked myself out of it. I was just wondering how much oil was on the paper. Is it dripping or just a little wet? I couldn't look, the box was sealed in plastic.

Brian

I wonder if the tough guard would restrict airflow more than the standard fram? I was in walmart tonight checking them out, the tough guard looked like it could be better quality for only a bit more..
if there's no chance of the oil getting on the mass airflow sensor or anything, I might give it a try.

I say this filter too. Didn't take it out of the box. An oil filter seems like it would have a slight advantage, but what about problems with MAFs like K&Ns reportedly have?

-T

I just installed one in my '02 GMC SD, 6.0. At first the average MPG (after being reset) on my DIC read 2.9! It slowly got better but I'm still about 2 MPG lower after putting on aprox 35 miles. You're right, my filter was cheaper than the regular Fram, but in most of the part #s the Extra Guard was higher priced......Still testing!.....

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I say this filter too. Didn't take it out of the box. An oil filter seems like it would have a slight advantage, but what about problems with MAFs like K&Ns reportedly have?

-T

9000+ miles on a K&N in my Subaru with no MAF problems. Subies are notorious for sensitive MAF sensors.

Bill

quote:

Originally posted by 04.SPT.WRX:

quote:

-T

9000+ miles on a K&N in my Subaru with no MAF problems. Subies are notorious for sensitive MAF sensors.

Bill

Never said all have problems, but some do.

-T

quote:

quote:

quote:

-T

Bill

-T

The more I read here, the more I question whether K&N is the best choice. The product has been out for a very long time. If they were truly bad at filtering, it seems someone would have likely uncovered this info and the product would have been history.

Quote: "If they were truly bad at filtering, it seems someone would have likely uncovered this info and the product would have been history." Unquote.

Yes, but wasn't it P.T. Barnum who said: "There's a sucker born every minute"?

Never-ending supply of the gullible. That's why Slick 50, Blowmaster exhausts, K&N filters, various and sundry "performance" ignitions, motor flushes, tuneups-in-a-can, etc.etc. continue to make lots of $$$ for their owners and tyh various auto dealers, parts stores, department stores, discount stores, mail-order marketers and so on who sell them to the hopeful and trusting public.

My $0.02

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

-T

Bill

-T

The more I read here, the more I question whether K&N is the best choice. The product has been out for a very long time. If they were truly bad at filtering, it seems someone would have likely uncovered this info and the product would have been history.

I had a K&N, before it came time for the first cleaning, ditched it, well still have it somewhere, but it was no more performance, and have better peace of mind not wondering how well it is filtering.

The Nissan air filter (Tennex? Mahle?) in my Maxima is most definitely oiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back