New Carlyle Pressure Brake Bleeder

Final update:

It did not work out and was returned.

Maybe I received a defective Honda adapter, but the o-rings were oversized. This prevented the Honda adapter from being used. The Toyota adapter fit well though. Unfortunately I need a working Honda adapter so I had to return the entire kit. This kit also uses proprietary fittings that prevented me from using my existing CCT/Power Probe adapters.

IMG_6421.jpeg

Also, this bleeder needs to “bled” each time you refill with fresh fluid. This is a normal characteristic of diaphragm brake bleeders, but for a small capacity unit, this became a bigger pain than expected. You need to “waste” approximately 6-8oz of fluid before you get a clear stream, which is a lot of waste…when this unit’s capacity was clearly designed for single vehicle services.

The “waste” fluid becomes extremely aerated and should be discarded.

IMG_6371.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6371.jpeg
    IMG_6371.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6421.jpeg
    IMG_6421.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3
Final update:

It did not work out and was returned.

Maybe I received a defective Honda adapter, but the o-rings were oversized. This prevented the Honda adapter from being used. The Toyota adapter fit well though. Unfortunately I need a working Honda adapter so I had to return the entire kit. This kit also uses proprietary fittings that prevented me from using my existing CCT/Power Probe adapters.

View attachment 190859

Also, this bleeder needs to “bled” each time you refill with fresh fluid. This is a normal characteristic of diaphragm brake bleeders, but for a small capacity unit, this became a bigger pain than expected. You need to “waste” approximately 6-8oz of fluid before you get a clear stream, which is a lot of waste…when this unit’s capacity was clearly designed for single vehicle services.

The “waste” fluid becomes extremely aerated and should be discarded.

View attachment 190860
I can understand why a brake bleeder from HF might have some sketchy brake fluid reservoir adapters that don't fit properly but one for almost $400 from NAPA should have the proper adapters that fit without leaking.

Wow, a through and honest appraisal. Sorry it didn't work. I have a Honda adapter I am going to try on the Motive Bleeder but have not tried it yet.

Wow, a through and honest appraisal. Sorry it didn't work. I have a Honda adapter I am going to try on the Motive Bleeder but have not tried it yet.

JeffKeryk: let us know how the Motive bleeder works out for you on the TSX. I have tried using the Motive bleeder with the Honda adapter cap from CTA on a CR-V, an Element, and two Odysseys with little success. After pressuring the Motive up to 15 psi, all three vehicles only slowly dribbled fluid out of the bleeder screw just like gravity bleeding. I had a bit more success on an Accord (with rear drum brakes and without ABS), where the fluid flowed slightly better, but nowhere close to manually bleeding by pressing the pedal.

The Honda forums indicate that cycling the ABS system with a bi-directional code reader is not necessary to establish flow with the Motive system, but I am wondering if that is actually true. At this point, I have concluded the Motive pressure bleeder is worthless for Hondas. With that said, my $32 Harbor Freight-Pittsburgh pneumatic suction bleeder works quite well on all of these Hondas.

When I was looking through web pages I saw that Snap-On has a vacuum brake bleeder. Maybe they have a pressure one also.
Snap on quick flow pressure bleeder is a relabeled Carlyle unit. Even the adapter numbers are the same.

JeffKeryk: let us know how the Motive bleeder works out for you on the TSX. I have tried using the Motive bleeder with the Honda adapter cap from CTA on a CR-V, an Element, and two Odysseys with little success. After pressuring the Motive up to 15 psi, all three vehicles only slowly dribbled fluid out of the bleeder screw just like gravity bleeding. I had a bit more success on an Accord (with rear drum brakes and without ABS), where the fluid flowed slightly better, but nowhere close to manually bleeding by pressing the pedal.

The Honda forums indicate that cycling the ABS system with a bi-directional code reader is not necessary to establish flow with the Motive system, but I am wondering if that is actually true. At this point, I have concluded the Motive pressure bleeder is worthless for Hondas. With that said, my $32 Harbor Freight-Pittsburgh pneumatic suction bleeder works quite well on all of these Hondas.
Crank the pressure up to 20 psi and flow from the rears will be acceptable.

Crank the pressure up to 20 psi and flow from the rears will be acceptable.

I'll give 20 psi a try, but I have had a couple of attempts at 17 psi with no change from 15 psi. I don't want to blow the seal on the plastic reservoir off of the master cylinder with too much pressure. The Honda forums said they were successful between 10 - 15 psi.

I'll give 20 psi a try, but I have had a couple of attempts at 17 psi with no change from 15 psi. I don't want to blow the seal on the plastic reservoir off of the master cylinder with too much pressure. The Honda forums said they were successful between 10 - 15 psi.
It is very possible that your bleeder screws are clogged. I have had passable results with 15 psi, 20 psi is usually very decent. Take out your screws and clear the opening with a pick and shop air.

It is very possible that your bleeder screws are clogged. I have had passable results with 15 psi, 20 psi is usually very decent. Take out your screws and clear the opening with a pick and shop air.
All of the bleeder screws are free and clear. They all flow freely and will bleed quickly with the suction bleeder or if I get the wife to pump the brakes while I bleed them manually. It just doesn't want to flow with the Motive pressure bleeder.

FYI...I have good results with the Motive bleeder on my Jeep and Nissan, but not on any Hondas with ABS brakes.

All of the bleeder screws are free and clear. They all flow freely and will bleed quickly with the suction bleeder or if I get the wife to pump the brakes while I bleed them manually.
Not sure what to say - I have never experienced the issue you describe. It is usually a max of 5 min per caliper with pressure bleeding.

Not really an apples to apples comparison, but I replaced the Carlyle unit with this one….and it is incredible. Lots of pressure with the electric pump, pulsing fluid flow, no mess.
Did you pay $1700 for yours?

Motive with the Honda adapter works for me on the odyssey and accord, fwiw…

Back