New Carlyle Pressure Brake Bleeder

Carlyle recently introduced a new pressure brake bleeder. This one is unique since the fluid resides in a bladder; this prevents contaminating the new brake fluid with any moisture in shop air.
1693877576874.jpg

This new Carlyle unit also looks awfully similar to the Snap-On one. Carlyle and Snap-On are the only two "compact" pressure bleeders on the market with a bladder. I can't help but wonder if both are made by the same company.

IMO way too much wood for a tool like this for me anyway. The small amount thrown out after using something like the Motive would take many years to come up to the high price.
Having separation between the fluid and the air is a huge selling point IMO. I do use mine quite a bit.

Are you in a high humidity area or mostly dry air? Where I am it is not high most of the year but some places down south may be well worth it.
You can get a good idea from how much water accumulates in your air compressor, I get a little in the summer but almost nothing at other times. I saw a video of a guy in Louisiana dump over 2 gallons of water out of his in one month.

Are you in a high humidity area or mostly dry air? Where I am it is not high most of the year but some places down south may be well worth it.
You can get a good idea from how much water accumulates in your air compressor, I get a little in the summer but almost nothing at other times. I saw a video of a guy in Louisiana dump over 2 gallons of water out of his in one month.
I was wondering this, too.

I even use bottles of DOT3 that have been open on the shelf for a year.

99% of people who come here wonder why their lips are suddenly on fire and dehydration is a huge issue for tourists. Use chap stick, sun screen and drink more water than you think you need and you'll only be mildly dehydrated.

My shop air also passes through a "cooling wall" to allow any water to fall out -- not that I get much anyway

Thing is, assuming the compressor tank isn’t hot, and this doesn’t take a whole lot of air…

First the moisture drops out during compression/under pressure.

Then you can put it through some sort of dryer/dropout unit.

It would be dryer after than than a motive that’s just compressing into the tank, IMO. So shop air should yield a better result in the right conditions, by itself.

I just don’t fill the tank of my motive. It’s better on the hoses and tank, and with the quick connections on the newer ones, I just top up the reservoir maybe once during the job. Unless the fluid is particularly filthy, in which case other techniques are probably better to start anyway, I just don’t see the need to fill the tank.

Any that’s left in the bladder Id dispose of anyway as I don’t bleed enough brakes to let it sit in there and then use it later.

I have a dryer on my compressor, and I’m good about keeping it drained, so I just don’t see the need for that bladder separator…

Likely made by same company that snap on is twice the price wow. Pretty pricey regardless

I don’t typically have much brake bleeding issues… are you all having troubles on certain applications?

Likely made by same company that snap on is twice the price wow. Pretty pricey regardless

I don’t typically have much brake bleeding issues… are you all having troubles on certain applications?
I have one on order.

Pressure bleeding is still the quickest way of performing brake fluid exchanges imo. Pneumatic bleeders, I have had mixed experiences with.

A single brake fluid exchange service is over $200 now. Use this a few times and it will pay for itself.
I am going to do one on the pickup soon and was just going to do a gravity type of brake fluid exchange. While it will take longer it won't cost any $$ besides the cost of the brake fluid. I assume a gravity brake bleed/exchange still works on modern brake systems?

I am going to do one on the pickup soon and was just going to do a gravity type of brake fluid exchange. While it will take longer it won't cost any $$ besides the cost of the brake fluid. I assume a gravity brake bleed/exchange still works on modern brake systems?
50/50. A lot of systems require a guided brake bleed procedure via scan tool. The newest F150s do, not sure about your truck.

Even if it did work, the rate of fluid flow with a gravity bleed would make it a very long process. Life is too short.

Several years ago the rear line going to the rear brakes on my 98 Chevy K3500 blew out. After replacing the line, I opened both rear bleeders and tried to let it gravity bleed and no fluid ever came out.

I next tried using my Mityvak vacuum pump and still could not get any fluid to come out. I finally resorted to having someone pump the brake pedal as I opened and closed the bleeder valves and finally got fluid to come out and got the brakes bled.

I think it's going to be dependent on the vehicle and brake system whether or not gravity bleeding will work.

Back