New car wrong tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my uncle custom ordered his Continental last year, he spec'd it with a certain tire from the order sheet.
when it arrived, it had a different tire on on it. different brand, everything. (I think he ordered the Conti's and it came with Goodyear's, or vice versa)
the dealership's response was, "yeah, sometimes that happens, nothing we can do about it."

It also depends on your Climate..
When My Brother lived in Dallas, he was able to "get by" 90% of the winter in his Challenger with the 3 Season Eagle F1 Super Car Tires... Since moving Back up here to Ohio, it gets parked and garaged Nov-April.

and he went a little over board and got a second set of OE wheels with Firestone Winter tires for his Volt.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have never heard of summer and winter tires. Can't drive them below 40f?

???!!?!???!?
Originally Posted By: krzyss
You bought high performance vehicle with summer tires.
What is wrong with this?

And yes summer tires are not supposed to be used on the snow or below 35-45F.

Maybe that is why it was being sold? Previous owner decided that car sucks in winter.

Krzys

Last edited:
Get an all-season with the 3-peak logo on it, such as
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Nokian WRG3/4
Toyo Celsius
Goodyear WeatherReady

A lot of strange comments here (OP included - but it doesn't matter now what he should have done before purchase, so I won't dwell on it or beat him up over it). OP, what's your specific problem with these tires? How to you typically drive your car?

How many of you have personally driven in the cold or on ice with different tires? I've driven on summer tires in the teens, with a very small amount of slush, and I was surprised at how well they handled (I had just purchased the STI from a dealer in NH and fully expected to be sliding all over the road during my drive home, based on what I had read online.) I did take it easy and was extremely careful; I don't think I exceeded the speed limit the entire time. I thought I'd save some money and chose to swap them for agressive, albeit relatively cheap high-performance Toyo AS tires that were absolutely horrendous in the snow, even with three limited-slip diff's! I finally settled on a dedicated set of winter and summer tires, which were really, really awesome.

I don't have and don't plan to run a summer tire on my Forester XT. The Premier A/S's perform ADEQUATELY, are much better as a touring tire (summer tires are freaking loud, especially near EOL), and last much longer than a summer-only tire. This thing hauls, but it's a freaking CUV on steroids. A summer tire would be great, but it's simply not necessary for a souped-up Forester. Is the MK-Z really a sports car...or is it a luxury car with a powerful engine? Does the distinction matter?

I drove Hankook V12 Evo in late wet snow and the same tires on early black ice.
Wet snow was OK, ice was terrible.
It is better to drive winter tires in summer than summer tires in winter.

I expect any summer tires to suck in dry and cold snow and ice. Dry performance will depend how pliable the rubber is.

Krzys

Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires have some traction on ice even though they are not studded. The downside is that the soft rubber they are made with will wear out quickly if you run them in warm weather.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I bought a new ok used 6,000 miles 2017 Lincoln MKZ I love the car it has a 400 HP 3.0 V6 and several packages like Sport, Nav, luxury etc. The issue I have is the tires! Although excellent Michelin super high performance tires "Super Sport somethings" this I feel is just the wrong tire for this car. For one thing I live in the Northeast Massachusetts to be exact and it's still quite cold here often below 40 and super HP tires are like useless below 40F and downright dangerous in any kind of snow! We had a dusting the other day and wow! It was not easy getting home. Not to mention the ride suffers from running a summer type tire. This car should have come with a high performance all season tires.

Sorry to vent!

Wrong tires? Seriously? The PSS is an excellent tire; they are the factory fitment on my 2er as well. NO WAY would I downgrade to a Grand Touring all-season tire or similar. If you aren't willing to buy a dedicated winter tire/wheel set, I'd suggest a set of Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires.

Some summer tires can be driven at sub-40F temperatures- they just won't perform well. At all. I've had several cars where I ran a dedicated set of summer tires/wheels as well as a set of winter tires/wheels. With a Snap-On aluminum floor jack and a Makita cordless impact wrench I can make the changeover in 45 minutes, tops.

???!!?!???!?
Chris lives in California !!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8

???!!?!???!?
Chris lives in California !!!
smile.gif

it gets cold here. Especially in the mountains.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
More fun in summer on winter tires - can you say "slideways"
laugh.gif

Nah, it's not fun at all. Summer tires snap and let go. Winter ones are predictable at the limit and steering actually works.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I bought a new ok used 6,000 miles 2017 Lincoln MKZ I love the car it has a 400 HP 3.0 V6 and several packages like Sport, Nav, luxury etc. The issue I have is the tires! Although excellent Michelin super high performance tires "Super Sport somethings" this I feel is just the wrong tire for this car. For one thing I live in the Northeast Massachusetts to be exact and it's still quite cold here often below 40 and super HP tires are like useless below 40F and downright dangerous in any kind of snow! We had a dusting the other day and wow! It was not easy getting home. Not to mention the ride suffers from running a summer type tire. This car should have come with a high performance all season tires.

Sorry to vent!

Sounds like new car, wrong buyer.

Why did you buy the car knowing it has summer tires during a New England winter?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Looks like you'll have to have a 2nd set of cold weather tires/wheels for that car. It's up to the buyer to work out something different.

100% the truth.

You just have to buy for the season you drive in.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
By summer tire I assume that means low mileage performance tires right?

Not necessarily low mileage; the OEM PSS on my 2er lasted 32,800 miles- including four track days and one test and tune night at the local 1/8 mile strip.

“Low” is in the eye of beholder. 30K for summer tire is excellent. Not so for touring all season.

Krzyś

I've driven my Camaro SS summer tires (BFG Sport Comp2's) in the winter every few weeks for "exercise" runs if the roads are clear/dry and free of sand. But I don't push speed or cornering. Yeah, I've been out as low as 30-35 deg ambient (coming out of a 40 deg garage). From what I've read on the subject there's increased chance you can damage the tire internals by driving them in sub-40/45 deg weather. Weather such "damage" is noticeable or would even be known during your ownership is the question. The rubber on these summer tires gets brittle at low temps...creating the odds something will "give" if you push them. I prefer to get my 10 yrs and/or 25K miles out them and not have them fail earlier.

You bought a used car and did not look at the tires BEFORE buying it?

I would be happy as a pig in [censored] if a used car I bought came with SS. Although, you say "Super Sport something", what exact tire is on there?

Most people who driver performance vehicles run appropriate tires for whatever season they are in. That is why I have THREE sets of tires for both my cars. Well, four if you include track tires.

There is no such thing as a performance all-season that can handle snow IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Motorsen
In northern Europe it´s allmost unthinkable not to switch between summer and proper winter tires as the seasons change. If you produce an accident in Germany in the winter on the wrong tires no insurance covers your mishap. Just not serious to have a high powered car and ride summer tires in the winter.

Motorsen

Indeed … we used to rent the winter tires and a van would come and change them at the office … put the pretty wheels in storage … hand you a numbered tag …

Then there is always eBay … I own full sized spares on OEM rims for 3 vehicles … (from eBay)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back