New Camry Hybrid really "thin oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: CKN

The engine is a 2.5-liter inline four that has variable valve timing, runs on the Atkinson cycle, and has a near-diesel 14.0:1 compression ratio. It also uses a new super lightweight 0w16 grade oil that further reduces internal friction and losses.

Sounds like a Mazda SkyActiv engine.

That's because Toyota IS using Mazda's patented Skyactiv technology. Toyota entered into a technology exchange agreement with Mazda a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Looks like another very complicated device to go wrong . :-(

But , it probably saves .01 MPG ! Directly or indirectly .

Best wishes & Thanks , :)

New tech phobia is alive and well on BITOG.......

I really don't blame them. A lot of complicated automotive technology is expensive to fix. It's fine if you lease or get new cars every couple years, but understandably not everyone can afford that.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
At some point if people are that worried about gas mileage, they should go all electric.
Where will the electricity come from to charge the batteries?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I really don't blame them. A lot of complicated automotive technology is expensive to fix. It's fine if you lease or get new cars every couple years, but understandably not everyone can afford that.

The chances are the next vehicle you buy will be more complicated than the one you own now......

Originally Posted By: wag123

The engine is a 2.5-liter inline four that has variable valve timing, runs on the Atkinson cycle, and has a near-diesel 14.0:1 compression ratio. It also uses a new super lightweight 0w16 grade oil that further reduces internal friction and losses.

That's because Toyota IS using Mazda's patented Skyactiv technology. Toyota entered into a technology exchange agreement with Mazda a couple of years ago.

Yep. Mazda will be supplying Toyota with SkyActiv engines for their smaller models here in the near future.

Originally Posted By: wag123

Yep. Mazda will be supplying Toyota with SkyActiv engines for their smaller models here in the near future.

The engine in the Camry Hybrid is Toyota's own engine, not a Mazda engine. Toyota has implemented Mazda's Skyactiv technology in it. It is particularly effective when used in an Atkinson cycle engine. They are also going to implement it in the next generation of Prius which they claim will top 60 MPG!
Mazda is already building the Toyota Yaris iA alongside their Mazda2 in their new Salamanca Mexico assembly plant, and Toyota just announced that they are going to build another giant assembly plant here in the USA that they will be sharing with Mazda. Toyota just purchased a minority share of Mazda which leads me to believe that they will eventually end-up purchasing a controlling interest in them and bringing them into the Toyota family of companies, just like they have done with Daihatsu, Hino, and Subaru (and many of their important vendors/suppliers). This is typical of the way that Toyota does things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
The prius already has oil consumption issues upon reaching moderately high miles on uber thin oils. I certainly hope Toyota has addressed the piston ring sealing issues. Thin oils can work exceptionally well in properly designed engines.

Might not be a good choice for high performance engines. I tried using a very thin oil in my Turbo Miata years ago, in an attempt at more HP. I ended up with failed bearings and 250ppm Pb readings.

What brand oil and weight were you using ?

Super thin oil and loosened tolerances for minimum friction in order to get a nice CAFE number. The motor will start burning oil before a decade is out, but at least Toyota got that number .

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
The biggest key point of this engine is the variable pressure oil pump which increases oil pressure not with engine RPM but depending on engine load. At low RPM/high engine load the pump produces as much pressure as a regular engine at high RPM/min or max engine load.

Many car companies have had this for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back