New 2018 Dodge Durango or Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither is super reliable lately, but since Dodge is under the same umbrella as Jeep I would give the edge to the Ford.

However:

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
What about a 4runner? I feel like that is least likely to have issues long term. It may have slightly less interior volume compared to the other two.

Boom. You want reliability, the 4Runner is legendarily so. I plan to buy one later this year.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Isn’t the Cherokee and Durango based in the same chassis?

Grand Cherokee and Durango are the same platforms. OP said he had a Cherokee Latitude which is a compact SUV

My 2014 Durango 3.6 has been fantastic. Tire pressure sensor went bad the first week of ownership which took my dealer about 30 minutes to replace. Since then, I've had 89,000 trouble free miles. Hauls my family. Tows my side-by-side. Would I buy another? Absolutely. Wish I would have bought the wife one instead of her Journey.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You're more forgiving than I am. Doesn't really matter if it's a different platform, it's all under the same tent and if I personally had terrible issues from one make, I probably wouldn't shop it again for a while.
Yeah, I'm the same way. Bought a new Honda in 2000, and had issues with it. Haven't bought another Honda since. It's not completely rational, I know. I guess I just hold my grudges for a long time.
smile.gif

I've got a rule: I won't buy cars whose name starts with "V". Volvo and VW problems decades ago, and life's too short to try again, ever. Of course, I'll never own a Dodge/Chrysler product either. Four transmissions in our 95 Grand Caravan over 75,000 miles was three too many.

My friend has a Ford flex with 130 k no issues at all just maintenance. I'm pretty sure same platform as explorer definitely same engine. I have 2018 traverse nice truck but to young for a reliability statement.

My friend has a Ford flex with 130 k no issues at all just maintenance. I'm pretty sure same platform as explorer definitely same engine. I have 2018 traverse nice truck but to young for a reliability statement.

The explorer hands down. The eco-boost motor has been around, on the second generation, all the kinks are out. Fun reliable motor

Originally Posted By: jay929
The explorer hands down. The eco-boost motor has been around, on the second generation, all the kinks are out. Fun reliable motor

Given this is the FWD platform, does it have the internal water pump that was talked about in another section of the board?

Quote from the other thread:

Originally Posted By: itguy08
The rule is this:
  • Transverse mounting Ford/Mazda 3.5/3.7 engines (including Ecoboost), the pump is internal to the engine and driven off the timing chain. Packaging issues they say.
  • RWD mounting (Mustang, F-series, Full Size Transit, including Ecoboost) 3.5/3.7 are regular old water pumps external to the engine. No packaging issues, so they say.

Ford and Mazda have had this engine in lots of high volume vehicles since 2007. Failures can take the engine out but seem to not be a huge issue. I've got 122k on the original water pump in mine and I'm not concerned. Keep an eye on coolant level and weep hole, change when required, and keep an eye on the color of the oil.

If it's paid for I'd not worry about it as, IMHO taking on a car payment now for something that may or may not fail is a little over reactionary.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: jay929

Given this is the FWD platform, does it have the internal water pump that was talked about in another section of the board?

Yes it does. The only one that doesn't would be the Explorer with the Ecoboost 2.3. Given the volume that the Ford/Mazda 3.5/3.7 have been put in the FWD based platforms, failures don't seem all that common. You can see the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine Basically anything that's not an F150, Mustang or Transit is FWD based.

I own a high mileage one and I'm not worried about the water pump. It's still a very reliable engine.

Ford Explorer was a used car to avoid just in 2016 and Durango recently in 2015 on consumer reports.

I'd just peek why, I am guessing some year specific issue. I take their ratings with a grain of salt but the used car to avoid list means there is some trouble that happens above average over other cars and worth wondering about. It all may be mute point in 2018 models.

https://www.consumerreports.org/used-cars/used-cars-to-avoid-buying/

Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Neither, both have reliability issues. Go Honda Pilot

I wont gamble on a V6 Honda with Auto trans

Ghosts of years gone by. That powertrain is as, if not more, reliable, efficient, and refined than the other choices here.

I'd be concerned whether the family tree of the GC and Durango parts list connect anywhere. I do know someone with a new Durango that has been solid so far. I also know two people with newer Explorers who are both looking forward to getting rid of them. One because they're not impressed with the construction and performance, the other with some real reliability issues.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

Ghosts of years gone by. That powertrain is as, if not more, reliable, efficient, and refined than the other choices here.

I'd be concerned whether the family tree of the GC and Durango parts list connect anywhere. I do know someone with a new Durango that has been solid so far. I also know two people with newer Explorers who are both looking forward to getting rid of them. One because they're not impressed with the construction and performance, the other with some real reliability issues.

The Grand Cherokee (not to be confused with the Cherokee the OP presently owns) shares a platform with the Durango. It's a Mercedes/Chrysler platform. The Cherokee is a FIAT platform that was new for the 2014MY.

If you've been buying all your FCA products at the same dealer, I'd expect they'd give you a good deal on a Durango. You might be able to swap into a similar age Durango for very little?
If you don't need 7 seats or the towing capacity and want to leave FCA, a RAV4 or CRV is likely to be trouble free and larger inside than the Cherokee.

Originally Posted By: jaj

I've got a rule: I won't buy cars whose name starts with "V". Volvo and VW problems decades ago, and life's too short to try again, ever. Of course, I'll never own a Dodge/Chrysler product either. Four transmissions in our 95 Grand Caravan over 75,000 miles was three too many.

Ghosts of years gone by.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: jaj

Ghosts of years gone by.

And yet FCA is still at the bottom of nearly all long term dependability surveys so I'd say those ghosts have not gone by.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: gofast182

The Grand Cherokee (not to be confused with the Cherokee the OP presently owns) shares a platform with the Durango. It's a Mercedes/Chrysler platform. The Cherokee is a FIAT platform that was new for the 2014MY.

Oops, I misread. In that case I know two people with Cherokees who hate them. One just hates the way it drives (ZF 9AT), the other's has spent weeks at the dealership over its relatively short life (ZF 9AT among many other things).

Yes, the 9spd has been a problem spot for sure. Luckily the 8spd shared with many other brands seems to be bulletproof.

A police officer friend of mine works for a department that has mostly Taurus, Explorer, and F-150's in it's fleet. He and his fellow officers have had lots of problems with their vehicles. Mostly drivetrain related. I've asked him specifically what is failing, but he is a police officer not a mechanic, so he only knows their repair shops are perpetually filled with vehicles being repaired. He's also said they can't wait until the department can replace it's fleet with something else.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
A police officer friend of mine works for a department that has mostly Taurus, Explorer, and F-150's in it's fleet. He and his fellow officers have had lots of problems with their vehicles. Mostly drivetrain related. I've asked him specifically what is failing, but he is a police officer not a mechanic, so he only knows their repair shops are perpetually filled with vehicles being repaired. He's also said they can't wait until the department can replace it's fleet with something else.

The department I work for and a neighboring department have had similar experiences with the Interceptors. I'm not really a Chrysler fan but the Hemi Chargers have been more reliable than the Ford Interceptors thus far. The Charger is not perfect by any stretch but I think it has a better engine. Both vehicles seem to have possible problematic transmissions.

The neighboring department is starting to phase in the Chevrolet Tahoe. They are issuing them to their shift Lieutenants and Sergeants first. So far they claim to really like the Tahoe and have said they were pretty surprised with how well they handle.

Personally, I miss the good ole days with the LT1 powered Caprices! That was a really tough car that was reliable, cheap to fix when they did have a problem, and would run like a scalded dog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back