Neighbor's backyard visitor

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Wife was next door watering neighbor's plants and trees and went around a corner to pull some weeds and found this 4+ foot bull snake hanging out. Common here and they get over 5 feet. Good to have around as they eat rodents and bugs but not so much in the yard. Got him in a bucket and took him way out away from the neighborhood.
bull snake.jpg

Wife was next door watering neighbor's plants and trees and went around a corner to pull some weeds and found this 4+ foot bull snake hanging out. Common here and they get over 5 feet. Good to have around as they eat rodents and bugs but not so much in the yard. Got him in a bucket and took him way out away from the neighborhood.
View attachment 174823
I can see how someone would mistake it for a rattlesnake and just kill it as it makes the decision much simpler.

Years ago I read that because so many rattlesnakes were killed off in AZ that those snakes who survived had smaller or no rattles at all so the population turned from loud rattles to no/low rattles which made it even more dangerous for people.

We had a visitor from another state show up in our yard. Didn't expect to see an Armadillo in Kentucky. I thought the Possums had our state as private property.

I’m glad that you relocated it. There’s far too many people that just want to kill them on the spot just because “it’s a snake”.

I hate snakes like Indiana! But they are a vital part of the ecosystem and get rid of pests from bugs to vermin. If you leave them alone they generally do the same - never kill unless it's self-defense...

tumblr_m39xqeK7Qd1qady5mo9_r1_250.gifv

So what do you do? I feed feral cats, they are tearing up the lawn now going after moles, do a stellar job on chipmunks...

Neighbors use mouse poison, and so far it's killed off most of the owl and hawk population.
Like you I leave the snakes alone. I have a wood barn in the woods near a creek. It was new but I have mice chewing to get in and I used a electronic device and so far for three years no mice at all. It works on other pests too.
Yesterday I was in there and that device takes c batteries and it still is running all that time. I will get a link.

I would have left it alone. Those snakes can really eat the mice and other pests.
We live in a new subdivision, it's amazing it got this far in from one of the boundaries without someone seeing it and possibly killing it. All properties have 6 foot privacy walls , it had to get where it was by traveling across front yards. It's far better off out in the grassland.

Back