Need help on a Complete Fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '01 Silverado 4x4 Stepside with the 5.3L and it only just turned 48,000 miles. We don't get out very much anymore due to medical reasons and I only put on between 5,000 or 6,000 miles a year. Right now I'm getting ready to change all the fluids. What should I use. I really can't afford a type like Royal Purple, but I want to take real good care of my baby. I need a 80w-90 gear oil for the front diff. I need a Synthetic 75w-90 for the rear. I live in Idaho and was wondering if running 5w-30 Motor oil is ok or should I be using something different? I was given a quart of Lucas' synthetic Oil Stabilizer and was thinking about going to a synthetic. What do you think? I'm thinking about going to Dexron VI for the tranny with just a filter and fluid change (No Flush) and am going to use GM's Auto Trek for the Transfer Case. I would really appreciate any help you could give me! Thanks

Go with a brand name Dex VI, and IMO, you can go with M1 synthetic 75w-90 diff oil in front and rear. GM Autotrak II should be the right fluid for the xfer case.

A good quality brand name motor oil is good... You may want to go syn with something like Pennzoil platinum or mobil 1, but a conventional would be fine. I like pennzoil and havoline as the best conventional oils.

I suggest Amsoil 'Severe Gear' for the diffs and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 for the engine. Leave the oil stabilizers alone. Good oil doesn't need anything extra.

What JHRZ2 listed is exactly what I did to my neighbor's '01 Silverado at 50K.

I also remember removing the magnet inside the rear diff cover. The diff was broken in and there was no good way to clean the magnet.

Make sure to remove the fill plugs on the diffs first before draining. This is a must!

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
I suggest Amsoil 'Severe Gear' for the diffs and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 for the engine. Leave the oil stabilizers alone. Good oil doesn't need anything extra.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Has anyone found a good lower cost alternative synthetic or biosynthetic replacement for the expensive OEM DEXRON VI ?

Originally Posted By: redraiderfan
Has anyone found a good lower cost alternative synthetic or biosynthetic replacement for the expensive OEM DEXRON VI ?

SuperTech Dexron-VI is only $4/qt.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Given that a 5 qt jug of Castrol conventional oil at Walmart is $12 and a 5 qt jug of PP synthetic is $20 it seems reasonable to always go with synthetic.

Especially now with the $15 MIR on synthetic PP. See Rebates section.

In Canada, the front diffs are spec'd for 75w-90 synthetic due to cold temperatures. The previous suggestion of using it in the front diff is a good one because many places in Idaho get these really cold temps too.

If you have the push-button 4x4 selector then you have to stick with the Autotrack II from GM. There are no alternatives.

Can't go wrong with Dex VI. My 4L60E in my '98 K1500 went 180k miles + with no problems on Dex III changed by T-tech every 60k miles. If you're not doing any heavy towing, you could afford to save some dollars here. Though using a synthetic is always good, it is the fact that you are changing it frequently that will make your trans last a long time, even on Dex III.

Supertech Dexron-VI is a GM licensed Dexron-VI product. All of the licensed Dexron-VI fluids are nearly identical in performance (from my inside sources), so you can use whichever brand you wish and feel confident in its performance.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Go with a brand name Dex VI, and IMO, you can go with M1 synthetic 75w-90 diff oil in front and rear. GM Autotrak II should be the right fluid for the xfer case.

A good quality brand name motor oil is good... You may want to go syn with something like Pennzoil platinum or mobil 1, but a conventional would be fine. I like pennzoil and havoline as the best conventional oils.

I agree with all of these suggestions. The original poster didn't mention coolant, but it's time to change it. If he has a cap on the reservior and no sludge, I would recommend just putting Dexcool back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back