Need a Quaker State oil filter for Kia Optima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so this has been interesting. I am trying to find the Quaker State filter for my 2010 Kia Optima w/ 2.4L. The Quaker State oil filter selector (which is clearly linked from Purolator) says I need a QS14612. The QS14612 crosses into Purolator L14612. However, Purolator's own website says I need a L14459. Wix says I need a 51334 which crosses into the L14459. When you cross the Wix 51334 into Fram as a double check, it says that the Wix 51334 is a motorcycle filter, PH6010A! When you cross the Purolator L14459 into Fram (again as a double check) it gives you three options!!! It says PH3593A, PH9688, PH6811. These all cross into different Wix, Purolator and Quaker State filters.

If you cross the Wix 51334 into Quaker State, you get either QS14460, QS14461 or QS3593A.

Holy cow this is CRAZY!!! Nobody agrees across brands when double checking things on the cross reference sites.

Purolator is CLEARLY the source of the Quaker State oil filter look-up website and they do not even agree with the Purolator filter!

I was planning on getting several Quaker State filters while they are on sale but I guess I will stick with my L14459 filters as at least Wix & Purolator agree on this being the correct filter.

I've ran into something like this before too on our cars, which take a '3614' filter (in Fram, Supertech, etc). Most filter boxes give competitor cross-reference numbers on them, and some of these boxes reference a '7575' filter IIRC. Evidently this filter, from everything I was able to gather, is essentially the same as the '3614', but built stronger in some areas as it is intented for industrial and tractor use. Evidently only some companies make the '7575' model filter.

Use the 3593A in the QS numbers. That crosses to the larger "fat" filter. The 14612 is tiny, of course either will work. They are very slightly different.

I would use the specified filter as listed by the filter maker. The cross ref. would only be a secondary place to look. And of course compare new to old in general size.

QS filters are on the bottom of my list as far as filters go. I thought mainly they were used in the quick oil change places.

Aftermarket oil filters are reverse-engineered from the OEM filter (the engine makers don't publish the specs). Many filter makers pick an existing filter from their catalog that is "close enough" and list that. In this way the cross referencing can get really goofy. Stick with the filter maker's spec for the engine and don't cross unless you're really stuck to find a filter. Because the Purolator catalog is much more extensive than the Quaker State-by-Purolator catalog, the Purolator recommendation is probably closer to the OEM specs. The QS listing is likely "close enough" and guaranteed by QS that it won't damage your engine.

Did I make a mistake? If not the QS14612 seems to be correct. However if I recall correctly, there are people here who claim the beta ratio on some of the smaller filters (like the L14612) actually makes a better filter. Beta ratio experts please chime in.

Wix 51334 (recommended by Wix) and by PUROLATOR L14459
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top:3.252
Beta Ratio 2/20=6/20
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Wix 51064 (cross reference from QS14612 QS recommended) Purolator L14459
Height: 2.988
Outer Diameter Top: 3.234
Beta Ratio 2/20=6/20
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Wix 51365 (cross reference from Purolator L14612)
Height: 2.577
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Beta Ratio: 2/20=2/20
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Wix 51356 (Purolator 14610) Taller Version
Height: 3.402
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Thanks for the help/info. I guess my point was that which has already been mentioned. Purolator and Wix seem to be made to OEM specs and the Quaker State (and possibly Fram) seem to be a "close enough" type of filter.

I understand that "close enough" is good enough, but hey, this is BITOG after all. I want "designed for."

Also, I am stuck on Quaker State filters because they are $1.99 at Menards and they are Purolator clones. For $1.99, I am happy and I do not have to mess with MIR.

Just some speculation here regarding the QS filter selection. Many of the 'made for' filters like QS, Pz, and Valvoline, have consolidated some applications and default to the smaller/smallest size, eg. 14610 defaults to the smaller 14612.

So it's not necessarily true the Purolator is the source of ALL QS filter application #'s. Meaning, one can still get a Classic in the 14610 size but perhaps not in a QS or other Puro 'made fors'.

Now if QS has a similar/same size to the L14459, then that could be used, but I don't know if they do. That too may default to the smallest 14612 size, because they all have the same(or very close) diameter gasket, so all would work.

Perhaps an explantion for the difference in the QS filter selector options.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Just some speculation here regarding the QS filter selection. Many of the 'made for' filters like QS, Pz, and Valvoline, have consolidated some applications and default to the smaller/smallest size, eg. 14610 defaults to the smaller 14612.

So it's not necessarily true the Purolator is the source of ALL QS filter application #'s. Meaning, one can still get a Classic in the 14610 size but perhaps not in a QS or other Puro 'made fors'.

Now if QS has a similar/same size to the L14459, then that could be used, but I don't know if they do. That too may default to the smallest 14612 size, because they all have the same(or very close) diameter gasket, so all would work.

Perhaps an explantion for the difference in the QS filter selector options.

That makes sense. Thanks. I just assumed that if Purolator was making filters for Quaker State that the line was the same with a different label and better price tag.

According the Fram X ref, the QS14461 crosses to the Fram 9688, which is the Fram equivalent of the Purolator L14459.

That said, I don't know if QS still makes that application, or if it's been consolidated?

Originally Posted By: 04SE
That makes sense. Thanks. I just assumed that if Purolator was making filters for Quaker State that the line was the same with a different label and better price tag.

That's a bad assumption, because even though a Quaker State filter might look similar to a Purolator on the outside, the media and the area of the media could be different. Purolator makes filters to the buyer's specs, not necessarily to Purolator's own specs. A "Purolator Clone" may not be as good as the same in the Purolator itself.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
However if I recall correctly, there are people here who claim the beta ratio on some of the smaller filters (like the L14612) actually makes a better filter. Beta ratio experts please chime in.

The smaller Purolator 14610 and 14612 have a worse beta ratio (efficiency) than the other larger Purolators.

Classic L14610 & L14612 are rated at 97.5% @ 40 microns.
PureOne PL14610 & PL14612 are rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns.

99.9% efficiency = Beta 1000
97.5% efficiency = Beta 40

All the larger Purolators are rated at the same percentage (as shown above) at 20 microns instead of 40 microns.

The 14459 is the same size that my moms 2002 Outback H6 uses. Purolator still makes this filter under their own brand, but in the quick-lube grade Pennzoil, Performax, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc. (all made by Purolator) filters, they have done away with it.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The 14459 is the same size that my moms 2002 Outback H6 uses. Purolator still makes this filter under their own brand, but in the quick-lube grade Pennzoil, Performax, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc. (all made by Purolator) filters, they have done away with it.

Ah, good to know. I guess I will just keep running my Purolator L14459.

Thanks to all for the help.

Not to throw gasoline on the fire, but is there a major reason you can't (or don't want to) use the manufacturer's recommended filter?

I'm lucky in that the Ford-recommended Motorcraft filter for my car is inexpensive and readily available almost everywhere, but I also use dealer-sourced filters on my sister's and B-I-L's Toyotas (under warranty). They're only a couple of dollars more than the common aftermarket brands, plus there's no confusion whether they're the correct ones.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

The Subies and Kias applications cross along with many other cars. I use the same filter for my sons Subaru, my works Izuzu Passport, neighbors Kia and sons Nissan Sentra. All work fine.

If you're [censored]-bent on using Quaker State filters (they are all I use now, can't beat Menards sale price); I would stick with their oil filter selector suggestion. Even if it's a smaller filter - it will do a fine job on your engine; and leave you in the clear in case something bad happens that's filter-related.

These filters are 94% @ 20 micron. Not quite Classic specs but good enough for my engines.

The 3593A filter should work correctly for the 2.4L It is the same filter used on both that engine and the 2.7L V-6. However, the Hyundai/Kia filter is excellent as well, and priced not bad at most dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back