Neat to live near old air base

I always find it a bit sad looking down at former Plattsburgh AFB when flying over it.

Went there when Young with my late father to see some air shows.

Same flying down the east coast over Norfolk, Va.

Lots of fond vacation memories as a kid at Virginia beach and watching military planes and ships.

I may be off on the date but it was definitely a B=36 as the shape is very unique.
Ah, OK, yeah the B-36 had a very distinct shape - and was visible from a long way away….

You had a different number in your previous post, which threw me off a bit...

I would have loved to see that airplane in the air. Closest I’ve come is to the one at the SAC Museum in Omaha, and, of course, the one in Dayton.

I live under the approach to McClellan AFB and near Mather and Beal AFB... I'm always on alert for piston popping War Birds and Jets...

P47.JPG
P38N53095.JPG
SpitfireXVI.JPG
F86N186AM.JPG
U280-1083.JPG

I always find it a bit sad looking down at former Plattsburgh AFB when flying over it.

Went there when Young with my late father to see some air shows.

Same flying down the east coast over Norfolk, Va.

Lots of fond vacation memories as a kid at Virginia beach and watching military planes and ships.

Isn't it still being used as a civilian airport?

One of the more prominent landmarks in the San Francisco Bay Area is the former NAS Alameda. They were the largest employer in town and it was well known as a Navy town. They've reused a lot of the old buildings/hangars there including one as a gym.

Bladium-Sports-Fitness-Club-Alameda-1200x662.jpg

And Hangar 1 Vodka, although I heard the building they use now isn't actually Hangar 1.

But it's kind of sad because the old runways were decommissioned but otherwise aren't being used for much at all. Not sure why there hasn't been building on the old runways like they did at the old Kai Tak Airport in Kowloon. Mythbusters used to use them for various stunts, but that was a while ago. The only thing I can think of is that it's reclaimed land that might not be suitable for structures without being shored up.

Back