Neat to live near old air base

I live near Pease former AFB and we get some interesting planes that come in I always can hear and sometimes see from my desk working at home.

Luckily we have an aviation nut photograph them to make the positive id. I am thankful for his work documenting them.

Some recents:

0131FBF2-2726-45A2-9D0C-61E0D6CD647C.jpeg
9F42E96B-DECF-4DFD-A93E-6FA2E3F88A18.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never lived near one (and not sure I'd want to), but my current job sits a stone's throw away from the Louisville International airport. The airport here is mostly a cargo airport (and UPS' main hub), but I still see unique planes from time to time, especially near the holidays when traffic gets real busy. I still spot 727 cargo jets flying every now and again.

One of my prior jobs sat right up against Peterson Air Force Base (now a Space Force base I think) in Colorado Springs. That was a real treat if you're an aviation/military plane enthusiast.

It would be neater living next to an old, quiet closed air base.

Thankfully out of direct noisy flight path however only 5-15 take offs of large planes a day. The smaller fighter planes are what I hear loudly but they only make rare appearances.

I've never lived near one (and not sure I'd want to), but my current job sits a stone's throw away from the Louisville International airport. The airport here is mostly a cargo airport (and UPS' main hub), but I still see unique planes from time to time, especially near the holidays when traffic gets real busy. I still spot 727 cargo jets flying every now and again.

One of my prior jobs sat right up against Peterson Air Force Base (now a Space Force base I think) in Colorado Springs. That was a real treat if you're an aviation/military plane enthusiast.
Peterson AFB is alive and well. Peterson is home to Northern Command (NORCOM) and has lots of interconnects with NORAD. Of note, the deputy CG od NORCOM is a Candian General Officer. Not a lot of weird MIL AIR coming into Peterson at this time.

I live near Pease former AFB and we get some interesting planes that come in I always can hear and sometimes see from my desk working at home.

Luckily we have an aviation nut photograph them to make the positive id. I am thankful for his work documenting them.

Some recents:

View attachment 121685View attachment 121686

I occasionally fly in and out of Pease. I like the airport. I too have seen some interesting planes there. The Antonov AN-225 was a highlight.

I haven't seen it fly or get to hear it. It was parked when I came to Pease for fuel. I hope that plane can get repaired or a new one (or more) get built. It is massive! Talk about an aluminum overcast..

Attachments

• 57D76273-8F59-457D-9330-DC3A8B7A3933.jpeg
    57D76273-8F59-457D-9330-DC3A8B7A3933.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 8
It would be neater living next to an old, quiet closed air base.

i prefer active airbases…the sound of freedom.

sadly, new england has lost all of its active, usaf airbases, though most remain in reserve or ang hands: westover, pease, dow, otis, but not loring. hanscom afb lives on but has no flying mission.

naval air is gone: brunswick, quonset point, south weymouth.

the army side is completely void with the departure of fort devens.

all tragic departures and i’m taking nothing away from the reserves (i was a member for 25 years). surely an economic loss, but the removal of our active armed forces from new england’s fabric of life is a greater social loss.

i prefer active airbases…the sound of freedom.

sadly, new england has lost all of its active, usaf airbases, though most remain in reserve or ang hands: westover, pease, dow, otis, but not loring. hanscom afb lives on but has no flying mission.

naval air is gone: brunswick, quonset point, south weymouth.

the army side is completely void with the departure of fort devens.

all tragic departures and i’m taking nothing away from the reserves (i was a member for 25 years). surely an economic loss, but the removal of our active armed forces from new england’s fabric of life is a greater social loss.
The economic replacement of Pease with the Tradeport has brought thousands of tech, pharmaceutical, medical , high end manufacturing, defense, arms (Sig Sauer) and other jobs to our area.

The Air Force left quite a mess to clean up including contaminated water. We locally have the intense economic engine with the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (subs) thankfully.

Hi Astro! Good that you pointed that out. It did turn out to be an AN124.
Pease can have four engine tankers or even B52‘s in the pattern. It’s a neat place be be around if you like big aircraft.
Nice (and not nice) photo of the big gal here

Back