Nearly 50% of men who have never flown or landed an airplane think they could safely land a passenger airplane

IIRC a few years ago a ground crew member or a baggage handler maybe, actually stole a large passenger plane and flew it for quite a long time before finally nose diving it to the ground on purpose. He was in radio contact with the flight controllers the entire time. I seem to remember it happened in the Pacific Northwest or Alaska maybe?

It's easy to pick one out but I want to keep their safety as a top priority. I am grateful they are there for us. Wish they had been during September 11. Thanks @lurker 👍
A friend of mine was flying solo and noticed the woman seated next to him was getting a much higher level of service than he was. So he asked her if the FAs know her, if she flies a lot. She said yeah, and flashed her pistol and said she's an air marshal. LOL.

I remember flying right after 9/11 and my FA was a huge muscular man with a crew cut. Picture Rob Gronkowski as a FA. The guy's shoulders barely fit between the luggage bins. You're not fooling me, buddy. LOL

Another friend of mine's son in law in an air marshal. He's tired of it and wants to do something else in homeland security.

Just making an observation here.....if this thread wasn't started by a staff member it would be locked by now.
I'm curious why you believe this? There is some spirited debate, but nothing has gone off the rails and nothing has warranted closing the thread, so why would we close it?

A friend of mine was flying solo and noticed the woman seated next to him was getting a much higher level of service than he was. So he asked her if the FAs know her, if she flies a lot. She said yeah, and flashed her pistol and said she's an air marshal. LOL.

I remember flying right after 9/11 and my FA was a huge muscular man with a crew cut. Picture Rob Gronkowski as a FA. The guy's shoulders barely fit between the luggage bins. You're not fooling me, buddy. LOL

Another friend of mine's son in law in an air marshal. He's tired of it and wants to do something else in homeland security.
If she flashed her pistol, she is most likely lying.

Air Marshalls do not break cover like that.

We have some large muscular FAs. They are not Air Marshalls.

You will not know if Air Marshalls are on board.

Similarly, you will not know if your pilot is armed.

If she flashed her pistol, she is most likely lying.

Air Marshalls do not break cover like that.

We have some large muscular FAs. They are not Air Marshalls.

You will not know if Air Marshalls are on board.

Similarly, you will not know if your pilot is armed.
The pilot should be armed! He's the captain of the ship. The only way you get on his vessel is if he lets you on. If I can trust him to fly me around the world at thousands of feet in the air I too can trust him and his judgment on if he chooses to carry a loaded firearm. It's a different time that we live in now and many of our air craft pilots have prior military service

I'm curious why you believe this? There is some spirited debate, but nothing has gone off the rails and nothing has warranted closing the thread, so why would we close it?
The same kind of spirited debate that has resulted in other threads being locked either because of it or "before things get out of hand".

The pilot should be armed! He's the captain of the ship. The only way you get on his vessel is if he lets you on. If I can trust him to fly me around the world at thousands of feet in the air I too can trust him and his judgment on if he chooses to carry a loaded firearm. It's a different time that we live in now and many of our air craft pilots have prior military service
Many commercial pilots do fly armed.

Passengers should be armed IF certain criteria are met. They have to pass the FBI background check required to obtain a CHL. They have to train and have a minimum of 100 hours advanced range training with a minimum score of 90 percent. Then they will obtain an upgraded CHL that allows them to be armed while flying. They will dress in a manner that conceals their weapon at all times. They will not advise any passengers they are armed. IOW, they will be like the literally millions of people you come in contact with on a daily basis, armed without your having any clue. Perhaps if bad guys knew at any given moment there are many many many thousands of additional individuals trained and capable of eliminating them flying anywhere and everywhere, perhaps more than one on any given flight, they would decide to not fly.

Last edited:
Back