NCAA Final Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I'm not much of a sports fan, and at best, a fairweather fan when teams of interest excite me.

The intrigue of college sports is you often don't know which team will show up: the normal team, the team playing below it's level, or the magical team playing well beyond its skill level, maybe with some kind of spiritual intervention (LOL).

Congrats Duke.

Last night WI was definitely NOT at their best...

Dukes defense deserves some credit. They were all over the Badgers like a cheap suit. The Duke defense was diving on the floor for every loose ball and just out hustling the Badgers. Duke had six blocked shots and WI only one. The turnovers were even with each team only having five. Okafor and Winslow were on the bench due to foul trouble early and still hung with the Badgers without them for long stretches and came back from 9 down with them on the bench. Wi was called for 15 fouls and Duke 13. The Duke freshman scored 60 of Dukes 68 points...sadly 3 of the 4 freshman will leave for the NBA in a week or two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
It seemed to me the referees were Duke fans....

Yes,, there were some bad calls, but that isn't what decided the game...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I agree those two missed calls were not the deciding factor, but I'd argue that they were the turning point of the game seeing that WI was leading for the majority of the game up until that point.

I don't blame the refs for WI's loss, but I really hate to see a game's outcome influenced by missed calls. Especially one where they took the time to review the replays and then still got it wrong.
frown.gif

Wisconsin should be able to play around bad calls. BigTen has the worst officials in both basketball and football on the planet.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

I agree those two missed calls were not the deciding factor, but I'd argue that they were the turning point of the game seeing that WI was leading for the majority of the game up until that point.

I don't blame the refs for WI's loss, but I really hate to see a game's outcome influenced by missed calls. Especially one where they took the time to review the replays and then still got it wrong.
frown.gif

Yeah, that call left me scratching my head...you could clearly see in the replay the ball was last touched by a Duke player, but they still didn't reverse the call...these obvious bad calls make me wonder what's going on with the officiating sometimes...

The officials are now saying they didn't see the same replay as the TV audience saw that showed Dukes Justice Winslow's finger touching the ball as it went out of bounds. IDK.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The officials are now saying they didn't see the same replay as the TV audience saw that showed Dukes Justice Winslow's finger touching the ball as it went out of bounds. IDK.

They gotta to say something to justify their actions...I always thought the refs in every sport that looks at replays sees all the same angles we see?

Originally Posted By: gman2304

They gotta to say something to justify their actions...I always thought the refs in every sport that looks at replays sees all the same angles we see?

Refs have a tough job We all have made blunders in our respective jobs.and they receive small pay. Not condoning mistakes but it is a thankless job.

Last edited:
This tournament had a lot of bad calls like the shot clock violation in the Kentucky game that went in the Badgers favor. The shot clock clearly showed 0 when the ball was tipped in. I didn't see Bo Ryan run onto the court and say "the shot clock had expired so take those points away". The slap from the Kentucky player late in the same game was reviewed and determined to not be a flagrant one technical foul. I didn't see Calipari objecting to that one either. Even the guys calling the game couldn't believe these two plays were allowed to stand. The refs are human and in such a fast paced game, missed calls are bound to happen. 68 teams started this tournament and thats alot of games with plenty of bad calls but the vast majority of calls are the correct ones. Okafor and Winslow spent a lot of time on the bench in this game due to foul trouble and Duke still came from 9 points down to win. Kaminsky finished the game with only one foul.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back