Navy lowering their standards

My father joined the Airforce with no HS diploma (late 60's), Got his GED shortly after.
He was a Bowling alley mechanic before the AF, They trained him to repair the B52 targeting systems.
He was probably one of the last to be totally alone inside a nuclear armed B52. 2 guards outside the plane but alone on the plane.
SAC was a great place to work but he left due to the politics/brown nosing that was going on. Plus my mom wasn't happy with AF life.
I bet your Father and my Father in law served in the Air Force concurrently, if not together. I've heard my FIL talking about working on/around those B52s.

The word "conscription" has been mentioned in both the UK and Oz in the last few weeks.

Funny that all these independent inititatives happen everywhere at the same time.
Various journalists have floated that idea here as well. I assumed it was a trial balloon to shape public opinion?

Lower test scores means the recruit has to pick from a list of jobs that require less training.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the person will be less motivated or less dedicated to their job.
Yep, every job in the military is important, and every person willing to do it should at least be considered, and everyone that does serve should be applauded for their efforts.

Before the completion of their enlistment (4 or 6 years) , they can retake the ASVAB and cross train into another career field with improved tested scores.

My guess is the Navy began ratcheting up it's standards in the 1990's at the end of the Cold War like everyone else did. People were sent packing with buy-outs and the Army became stricter with older soldiers on weight standards and minor infractions from years prior that were no big deal just a few years ago in the 80's. It left a bad taste in the younger enlisted and even junior officers of my generation and more began leaving than the Pentagon had forecast meaning they began relying more on Reservists, which also left a bad taste.

I suspect they USN is just going backward to the 80's for a lot of these "standards"...

If they are going to be trained inside the program I don't see any problem. I trust the drill sergent more than the politically corrected system outside the military. You don't get sent to do laps and push up if you have discipline issue in the civilian world.

You think the Army would be doing this and not the Navy? The Navy and Air Force were the two branches that always got the brightest recruits.

Cooks wanted, apply within.

What branch/years did you serve? I served four years in the Marine Corps and was recruited without a HS diploma or GED. I did well there, well enough to be recruited to a city police department and retired when I was 49 years old (full service pension). Between my overseas deployments I served time at Camp LeJeune. I drank that contaminated water and had kidney cancer in 2008-2009. Last September I was diagnosed with stage 3 non Hodgkins lymphoma and today was my last chemo treatment. In a couple weeks I'll get a PET scan to find out if I will survive.

But, you do make good point, a guy like me, knowing how it would turn out years later, would do it all over again. Probably because I didn't measure up to someone else's intellectual standards.

Back