Navy lowering their standards

This is not what people want it to look like. There's a stipulation- you have to score a 50 on the ASVAB to be eligible. That is the average score, and I've seen plenty of people with high school diplomas score below that and get in. Remember, the Navy will accept a score as low as a 31. You ask me, I'd rather accept someone who scored 50+ on the ASVAB without a GED over someone who managed to graduate high school but scored a 31. Simply graduating high school is not indicative of some great scholarly achievement.

You think the Army would be doing this and not the Navy? The Navy and Air Force were the two branches that always got the brightest recruits.

Cooks wanted, apply within.
My father joined the Airforce with no HS diploma (late 60's), Got his GED shortly after.
He was a Bowling alley mechanic before the AF, They trained him to repair the B52 targeting systems.
He was probably one of the last to be totally alone inside a nuclear armed B52. 2 guards outside the plane but alone on the plane.
SAC was a great place to work but he left due to the politics/brown nosing that was going on. Plus my mom wasn't happy with AF life.

From article:

” The Navy is the only service that enlists anyone considered a “category four” recruit, meaning they scored 30 or less on the qualification test. The service expanded the number of those category four recruits arguing that a number of jobs — such as cook or boatswain mate — don't require an overall high test score, as long as they meet the job standards. “

All military branches need folks with different ASVAB scores to keep it running properly.

I see no problem with people enlisting with low(er) scores being in a career field needing less training and shorter tech school. Sign on bonuses also help recruit into these career fields.

I quickly realized this in Air Force basic military training when all 45 recruits (in my training squadron) openly said what career field they signed up for. We had A - Z career fields among us.

Each career field (AFSC) was very important to the big picture of daily Air Force operations.

My tech school was almost a year long and I didn‘t get a sign on bonus. I’m still in the same career field as a civilian and luckily to get this training.

Last edited:
Who would have thought that nobody would want to join after a 20 year war. Maybe if the politicians and career brass didn't make garbage decisions mid-2010s then they wouldn't be short handed.

But we all know tattoos that are larger than your palm must negatively affect a combat veteran and needs to get kicked out :rolleyes:.

If an applicant wants to enter armed forces without HS or GED, but they have worked years at a drive through...they have demonstrated an ability to handle stress, deal with difficult people, and multitask, and in many areas of USA they have faced people with loaded weapons.

Sign these people up!

I feel like that “news” site is partnered with the National Enquirer or something.

Anyways, glad to hear people can get a second chance.
This article is on the AP wire. I didn’t want to use a media company that leans on either side.

Tin foil hat time.

So lets say there's a bunch of people without GEDs or any documents.

Sign them up for the Navy, have them barely pass a test.

Enlist them, say they served in a "war" for 1 day, now you have a citizen and a voter.

That's all I have to say and won't get political about it but the current situation cannot be denied. Things are getting crazier, the months up to Nov will be wild.

Tin foil hat time.

Enlist them, say they served in a "war" for 1 day, now you have a citizen and a voter.

That's all I have to say and won't get political about it but the current situation cannot be denied. Things are getting crazier, the months up to Nov will be wild.
That's stupid

Lowering the standards really only lowers the standards for the menial jobs. Highly technical or advanced positions will still have higher standards and requirements. My job was highly technical but WAY over manned when I got out. It was hard to make rank because there was so much competition and everyone was smart. No reenlistment incentives (not that I wanted to re-up) were available despite high evals, experience, multiple deployments, tons of qualifications and good conduct. That is a way of getting people to leave without forcing them out. Money or highly coveted duty stations are the two main ways to get people to stay in who aren’t lifers already of course.

The military is always altering standards and guidelines for manning to keep/get people or let people go/keep people out.

Tin foil hat time.

I've served with a few folks who joined to get US citizenship. Guys that will risk their lives for a country they have no legal rights in while there are many citizens don't join. All of them were amazing dudes; I'd serve with them again at any time.

Also, they do not get citizenship until after their enlistment.

I've served with a few folks who joined to get US citizenship. Guys that will risk their lives for a country they have no legal rights in while there are many citizens don't join. All of them were amazing dudes; I'd serve with them again at any time.

Also, they do not get citizenship until after their enlistment.
Same. It is still hard to get citizenship. Serving just makes it a little less harder. I went to more than one naturalization ceremony. All good dudes.

The military is basically an entry level job creator. How you do and progress is up to your own merits. Someone needs to cook/clean/chip/swab. Working your way out of these jobs is up to the recruit. I was talking to my dentist the other day and dredged up sieverts during our conversation about xrays, Navy school's for us Coastie Electronics technicians back then. HS degree required, pretty high bat tests for some schools like mine. BM's and SS's nope.

Lower test scores means the recruit has to pick from a list of jobs that require less training.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the person will be less motivated or less dedicated to their job.

Back