Natural gas to California

Here is a photo of a pig launcher on the TC energy 40 inch pipeline south of Cranbrook. This pipeline delivers about 14% of California’s gas requirements. Enjoy.

18BD47B7-1E85-4A2E-A2F0-628CC1E448D1.jpeg
05BD2DC0-CD30-4600-AD09-FE6D0F30CF65.jpeg
D2339822-96A9-4DDE-AEC2-6AD50B09CA94.jpeg

Last edited:
Are there that many people that only speak French in that part of the country?
Canada is officially a dual language country.

Good luck getting those in Quebec to speak English and about the same for those in Toronto to speak French :D

Canada is officially a dual language country.

Good luck getting those in Quebec to speak English and about the same for those in Toronto to speak French :D
There are two officially bilingual provinces - New Brunswick and Manitoba. Quebec is officially French, and the remaining provinces are English.

You're correct - federally, we're bilingual.

Here’s a map of the natural gas pipelines in BC. BC has its own gas fields in the north east and feeds gas to much of the province down the Spectra pipeline ( Spectra is owned be Enbridge.) The south east part of BC is supplied by the TC Energy line which is shown in the SE corner. My nearest town of Cranbrook pulls gas from this line and distributes it on the Fortis system. That gas originates in Alberta, our neighbour to the east of the Rockies. The two systems meet in the Okanagan valley just south of Penticton.

253952B2-D37C-4AA2-BF61-F230AF7562EF.png

My sister has a degree in civil engineering and has inspected natural gas pipe lines for 40 years. Her territory was from California to Houston and worked with “pigs” that whole time. She retired a couple of months ago.

Thanks for sharing!

It's amazing how much NG infrastructure is out there in every day life and you don't even notice it. There's tons of little NG wells all around where I live. One of them just a few miles away has a little gas turbine powered booster compressor that you'd drive right by and not notice unless you knew it was there. It's wrapped in insulation so well you can barely hear a whine from it.

My company supplies N2 for lots of the purging and pigging operations out there and has some cryo plants. Crazy drive times to get to/from them.

Back