Nascar possibly going exclusively to peacock?

Viewership is down because you already can’t see more than half the season on a proper channel. This stuff drives me nuts.

Baseball is even worse, I don’t even remember the last time I watched the Royals on TV. Even the MLB channel free from TMobile was useless.

I’m looking forward to the Coca Cola 600 next week on Fox.

I haven't watched a Nascar race in over a decade, but if I can get one on a streaming service for $4.99 per month I might watch a few.

Or is it somehow going to some new PPV - for each race. That would be unusual would it not? I don't think peacock does that now?

Cable TV is dying a slow death, and everyone knows that it will hit a wall at some point - just look at demographic statistics.

"The majority of cable TV subscribers, specifically 63%, are aged 68 years or older"

Reactions: JC1
I haven't watched a Nascar race in over a decade, but if I can get one on a streaming service for $4.99 per month I might watch a few.

Or is it somehow going to some new PPV - for each race. That would be unusual would it not? I don't think peacock does that now?

Cable TV is dying a slow death, and everyone knows that it will hit a wall at some point - just look at demographic statistics.

"The majority of cable TV subscribers, specifically 63%, are aged 68 years or older"

Its TRUE. Wife n I are 66 and we have streaming yet will not let go of the cable. :rolleyes:

Spectrum gave it to us free for 1 year...after that it's ~$50/year. ( my brother had just paid for a year subscription before he found out about the Spectrum Deal...)

NASCAR is reportedly planning to transition to streaming platforms for its Xfinity racing series and midseason package featuring NASCAR Cup races, as cord-cutting continues to grow. Though the details are yet to be finalized, the move has attracted the interest of various streaming companies. The current media agreements with Fox and NBC, negotiated before the rise of streaming, will conclude after the next season. While Fox will continue to broadcast the Daytona 500 race, NBC is set to air the remainder of the season and the NASCAR playoffs.

This is the first time NASCAR is seeking an exclusivity deal with a streaming platform. NASCAR's current media deal is worth $820 million annually, and a move to streaming could significantly boost viewership and ad revenue, which the organization relies heavily on.

It's anticipated that NASCAR will secure a new deal before July 4th, 2023, with Amazon being a potential frontrunner. The streaming giant could leverage NASCAR's fan base to bolster Prime Video's audience. While NASCAR races averaged around three million views per race in 2022, the 2023 figures were somewhat lower.

A successful NASCAR-Amazon deal could be highly beneficial to both parties, given the success other sports leagues have found in adding streaming options or transitioning exclusively to streaming. Amazon, for instance, has seen great results after spending $1 billion annually for the streaming rights to the NFL's Thursday Night Football.

One things for sure, things are gonna change. With all the teams talking about revenue sharing and wanting a bigger slice of the pie its for sure NASCAR is going to look for a bigger pie rather than slice up the current size.

One things for sure, things are gonna change. With all the teams talking about revenue sharing and wanting a bigger slice of the pie its for sure NASCAR is going to look for a bigger pie rather than slice up the current size.
They have been looking for a bigger pie. However, they are only finding a smaller one. Parity ain’t racing.

except....
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2023/05/22/Insiders/sports-media.aspx (linked in original article link)
"NASCAR also is shopping a midseason package of NASCAR Cup races to streaming companies, loosely patterned after the six-race package that TNT carried until 2014. Amazon is considered a strong candidate to land these streaming packages."
A question I have is how many of the true blue nascar fans stream? Many are in rural areas and don't have the infrastructure. I couldn't stream until about 1.5 yrs ago.
You can't help but notice how empty the tracks are. Even though Wilkesboro was a great success, there were closed grandstands. Even the biggies have closed off sections covered in advertising. It wasn't too long ago that you had to "know somebody" to get race tickets.

A question I have is how many of the true blue nascar fans stream? Many are in rural areas and don't have the infrastructure. I couldn't stream until about 1.5 yrs ago.
You can't help but notice how empty the tracks are. Even though Wilkesboro was a great success, there were closed grandstands. Even the biggies have closed off sections covered in advertising. It wasn't too long ago that you had to "know somebody" to get race tickets.
Remember the days back when you had to order Bristol tickets a year in advance to hopefully get a seat !!! NASCAR is just about dead on the vine

I was at the Kansas Craftsman Trucks race a couple weeks ago. At most the stands were 30% occupied. I realize it was the Trucks, but when KS opened it would have been nearly full, with Cup absolutely packed.

I was curious as to how full it was for Cup this year but I didn’t see that race because it was on stupid FS1, again, and I didn’t have Cup tickets.

Back