My Wife's Mustang Got Wrecked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear your wife is ok - that's all that matters.

Why limit yourself to the V6 and GT? The Ecoboost is also a potent performer and since she seems to have a specific color in mind it may open up the potential.

You may be able to find a great deal on an 18 as well.

Definitely look at an '18 Ecoboost with the 10 speed auto. You can certainly get the premium interior in those, and with a mild tune and no bolt-ons they push 300hp / 350 tq. Minor bolt-ons push them to 380/420. From a 4 banger. Wow.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
There is a slightly used Mercedes near me ( at Porsche of Stratham) just a couple years old for $32k. S -class 550 twin turbo. Black with white cashmere.
Man that thing didn't hold its value!

That seems to be the way for a middle class guy to ratchet up into a high performance German lux sedan around here, I know my neighbor bought himself a used S550 after he had been out of work for awhile as sort of a little celebration. He wasn't exactly swimming in dough right at that moment, but I heard he got a fantastic deal and wasn't breaking the bank with his gift to himself. Does seem like the resale value of those can drop like a stone while still fairly new and don't quite get it...

Back to the OP, glad to hear that the OPer's wife is not seriously hurt but I would caution her to watch out for aches and pains even months from now and to get anything along those lines looked at ASAP. I started having serious hip pain a few months after getting rear ended at speed and didn't make the mental link to the crash...went to a orthopedist a few months after that without mentioning the accident and he pretty much didn't listen to a word I said and gave me some exercises that made the pain much worse. I felt somewhat better when I stopped with the special exercises and just dealt with the occasional hip twang.

The hip pain suddenly worsened a few years later and I went to an orthopedist who had been recommended by a friend of mine who was just starting his ortho residency. This doctor actually listened to me and diagnosed me with sciatica within minutes and ordered some PT for me that actually helped...we also made the very likely link between the car crash and the disc damage that was causing my pain.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
2011 V6 automatic Mustang with premium interior, 48K miles, well maintained (of course). Got the determination from insurance today they're totaling it.

Some 30 year old from Minnesota pulled out right in front of my wife last Tuesday morning to cross a 4 lane divided 40 MPH street from one parking lot to another while my wife was doing the speed limit, 40 mph, in the left lane. Another car parallel to my wife's in the right lane was turning in to the parking lot the other driver pulled out from. Concrete median where my wife was ahead of the break the other car was shooting for, my wife had no opportunity to brake or swerve. Her right front bumper basically T-boned the other car's left front quarter panel. No injuries, my wife went to her PCP who ordered X-rays just to cover all bases the following day. Although her engine shut off immediately the Mustang was hemmoraging coolant and motor oil heavily.

So, we're car shopping, looking at 2017 Mustangs both new still on the lot and low miles used. The premium interior was no longer available in 2017 V6 Mustangs so we're test driving V8's. The standard seats crimp my shoulder blades rolling them forward but the premium interior seats don't. As if changing to a V8 would bother me
wink.gif

Were any citations issued?...... if so, to whom?

When I was 11 my mom would pick me up from the bus stop in the 1965 Mustang V8 that my dad bought new(our home was 11 miles away; long story). One day a couple of my mom's friends picked me up instead. They told me that Mom had been in an automobile accident. I asked if she was okay and they told me she was unhurt. I next asked how the Mustang was and all I got was, "You should be glad your mother wasn't hurt." I kept asking, and kept getting the same stupid response. It turned out that the car was a total loss.

Of course for years afterward my mother-who never passed up an opportunity to tell a story that made me look bad-told people, "I was in a bad accident and all my son cared about was how bad the Mustang was damaged."

I'm on my second F150 with the 5.0. They are awesome engines. You can drive it all week like an adult and it's effortless in traffic. Weekends you can drive it like your hair is on fire and it's just stupid fast.

Not that I've ever actually done that, of course...

First, many thanks for the well-wishers on my wife's health. We have that same perspective, it's just a material thing, and we're getting a decent insurance settlement due to the low miles and how well the car had been maintained. The seat belt & airbag left a bruise on her chest that's fading. The force jerked the seat belt so hard the housing flew apart and it stayed at maximum extension.

We submitted to our insurance who will subrogate to the other driver's insurance. The other driver's insurance accepted liability, so we're just out our deductible until subrogation is settled.

Not sure on citations, a police report was filed but we don't have a copy yet. It costs $6 if we get it straight from SAPD, we've requested a free copy from our insurance.

Location was Sonterra in front of the Marriott Courtyard, just east of 281. My wife was eastbound in the left lane on her way to work at Andeavor (formerly Tesoro). The other car was pulling out of the parking lot of the apartments on the south side aiming at the Marriott parking lot. The other driver was very apologetic, she wasn't a jerk at all. We all went inside the Marriott lobby to start the requisite phone calls.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Glad to hear your wife is ok - that's all that matters.

Why limit yourself to the V6 and GT? The Ecoboost is also a potent performer and since she seems to have a specific color in mind it may open up the potential.

You may be able to find a great deal on an 18 as well.

We do as much maintenance as we can on our vehicles, my wife used to restore 60's Mustangs with her college boyfriend. Neither one of us really want to own a turbo. We've both driven ecoboost Mustangs as rental cars and they're fine, just a sligt lag on peppiness vs the V6. Personally, I haven't purchased anything with less than 8 cylinders since leaving college; I'm from the "There's no replacement for displacement" school of thought. A nice used GT350 would be nice but my wife isn't going to drop that much coin and thinks these two listings are too flashy for her already!

My favorite so far, supposedly previously owned by the dealership owner's 85 year old mother who decided she wanted something with more interior room when she had guests so traded it in.

https://jenningsandersonford.com/sale/us...atp8ff1h5247325

The runner-up, less well optioned but willing to wheel and deal a bit more so far.

MCOMBS FORD W LINK

Man,

I hope your wife doesn't have any latent injuries. My thoughts are with you both. I'm sure you will find a Mustang you both will like.

Thanks, she seems to be OK, time will tell. It's her vehicle so she needs to be happy with what she picks, I have my trusty 2012 Ram. Mcompact's sig sums up what I've been telling my wife but she even said "It's more car than I deserve." regarding my favorite pick at supper last night. Of course I corrected her!

We typically buy vehicles 1 model year old with 15K miles or less, getting that first year depreciation out of the way before we assume ownership.

Last edited:
There is a slightly used Mercedes near me ( at Porsche of Stratham) just a couple years old for $32k. S -class 550 twin turbo. Black with white cashmere.

Haven't driven the new 'stang. Supposed to finally drive well. Its about time!

I will say I Don't like the plastic rear "fascia" - looks real cheap.

I like sleepers, so no mustangs or Camaros - I had enough of those when I was in my 20's.

My 66 nova 355SBC 375 HP 4 speed was perfect.

That's a 2012 S550, basically it's 6 years old car. I think they listed for 97-120k depending on options. So basically about 70% depreciation after 6 years. They restyled the body in 2014 so there's a big gap between a 2013 model and a 2014 model. The 2014's are still at least 40-50k in price.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
This thread is useless without wreck pics.

I had other concerns than being ghoulish at tbe time. My wife was a bit frazzled and talked about taking the Marriott shuttle bus to work, I was on the phone with insurance for her. She has pics she took while I was en route to the scene in case of need for insurance etc. but I'm not posting them.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Glad she is Ok.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Haven't driven the new 'stang. Supposed to finally drive well. Its about time!

I will say I Don't like the plastic rear "fascia" - looks real cheap.

I like sleepers, so no mustangs or Camaros - I had enough of those when I was in my 20's.

My 66 nova 355SBC 375 HP 4 speed was perfect.

We don't want no turbos! There's no replacement for displacement!

I did try to lure her to The Dark Side looking at SRT8 Challengers, some used Hellcats which are yesterday's news now the Demon is out, and some used Vipers. She was most interested in the Vipers but no go.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
If you want a new Mustang, try:
McCombs Ford West, best selection I've seen
Jordan Ford, best deal

If you want a used one try Hovey Motorcars, I did their website for over 13 years, very honest folk.

What was the street/location?

Looking on Google Maps, 1849 Sonterra Road will give you a decent approximate location. Go to street view and you can see the situation better. The next street, Ridgeline, is where my wife turns off Sonterra to get to work.

An old friend of mine lives in an apartment on Ramsey, on the other side of San Pedro from Hovey Motorcars. I typically visit him once a week, he's a risabled vet who teaches at Wayland Baptist University and doesn't drive. Unfortunately Hovey doesn't have what she's looking for on their lot currently.

Last edited:
Something you can try,see if a dealership can do a dealer trade for her to get the exact Mustang she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back