My Suv had a heart attack, too much Bacon? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
OP is not saying something since he has no want/desire to contact walmart. Walmart is his only chance, but yet he does not contact them. Yea, makes sense.............not.

You haven't been around the WM in /near Chicago... I have more faith in XOM than Wm. Their CS can be at Comcast levels. Either way its worth contacting them and I will do so this weekend. I can only imagine Wm offering a refund on the product.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I think I know what it is; BLOOD!
Blood coagulates exactly like that. What's the possibility that someone returned used oil with blood in it as a VERY SICK joke!
I mean, everyone has TRIED to guess what it is, I'm throwing this at it!
21.gif

A coworker showed me this after I show him my vid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNXD10-r6QE

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
... I think the smart thing to do now is lay off of XOM, they might just see this nonsense and sue him.

Yep, especially based on the UOA results and the whole messed up path he's taken to try and get to the bottom of this fiasco. As I've said a few times, he should have been talking directly to Mobil a long time ago instead of doing "experiments" and trying to clean up the engine for weeks on end.

As I said before, I did call XOM from the beginning. They said most likely it was water/coolant contamination.(blown head gasket would be automatically my fault, and nothing short of major engine work) So that when I decided to send it in for UOA. My experiments is external to the engine at this point. It was a waiting game for UOA and the mechanic, so testing what would dissolve the sludge does not affect anything.

Posting for mechanic advice on reddit as there were several post of people having simile problems there. I did not blast XOM at all there. Just stated what I used.

IIRC your UOA was not pointing to engine oil being in the sump. I would think by now if a bad batch of oil slipped through from XOM the Internet would be a blaze with people having similar problems to yours. I say you got screwed with returned oil, and someone was crafty enough to put the foil seal back on. I don't think it would take a brain surgeon to do it either. So your problem is with WMT, not XOM, at least the way I see it.

You know Walmart could eliminate this oil jug tampering if they marked or labelled every returned jug with a large, non-removable label. At least a buyer could either avoid it or really inspect it closely.

Puzzling how the color of the "oil" from the jug was close enough to amber to satisfy the user it looked OK when poured into the engine.
Noticing a Corn Oil substitute is expensive, about $3/quart, unless a person had access to clean-looking used oil somewhere. Maybe a cheap industrial oil out there for a person to put in. Used oil is very dark of course. One could have put in 1/4 used oil and clear new non-motor oil I suppose.

If it was used fryer oil in there, it would have smelled strongly like potatoes or other food, so thats not it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
OP is not saying something since he has no want/desire to contact walmart. Walmart is his only chance, but yet he does not contact them. Yea, makes sense.............not.

You haven't been around the WM in /near Chicago... I have more faith in XOM than Wm. Their CS can be at Comcast levels. Either way its worth contacting them and I will do so this weekend. I can only imagine Wm offering a refund on the product.

XOM is not responsible. I guarantee, and so will the lawyers, that mobil 1 was in that container when it left XOM. You NEED to contact Walmart and see if this bottle can be traced as a return. Don't even tell them why yet, just go to customer service, ask if they can trace the bottle history and know if it was returned prior to your purchase, and you would like a copy of transactions if so. If they say yes it was a return, but can't give info, say thank you and get a lawyer.

XOM is not the culprit. You will get no where since they re not at fault. Any videos, evidence, mechanic reports, time spent, etc, are to be put to use against Walmart and only walmart. Logic dictates so, and logic wins, believe me.

If the facts you state are accurate in this thread, take the advice and seek bottle tracking at walmart prior to bothering XOM. Walmart first. XOM next if you want to waste your time. And no, I have no stock in XOM. But I have purchased Mobil 1 that someone replaced with used oil. Years ago, but still. XOM is not at fault, an idiot customer is first fault, walmart second fault, but walmart ultimately responsible for not checking returned item and putting on the shelf and sold as new. It's up to Walmart to find the scum who returned it, not you.

If you can not trace the bottle as a returned item, you have nothing against anyone, sorry.

Lawyers will tell you the same. Unless you have a bad lawyer.

As I said before, I did call XOM from the beginning. They said most likely it was water/coolant contamination.(blown head gasket would be automatically my fault, and nothing short of major engine work) So that when I decided to send it in for UOA.

Thought you said Mobil send you a claims form to be filled out after a certified mechanic looked at the engine. Why haven't you sent them the UOA and some of your videos (link to YouTube), and the lot info off the oil jug to see what they think - all could be done via email. Water/coolant contamination isn't going to turn any oil into brown thick snotty slime like what you see in your engine. You have a UOA that shows there was no water or coolant in the slime sample.

93crusier, I am surprise you are telling me I should not contact XOM. I understand the chances are against me. But if you open a bottle of Pepsi and it turn out to be only water inside... would you call Pepsi? I will see what Walmart will say but My hopes are not high for them either. I bought the oil in April. I will be surprise if they still can tracking something like that.

So far I disagree that you said XOM is off the hook. I see no evidence of tampering and since I pour it in myself straight from the bottle I know that it came at the bottle that way. No point in really arguing this. I can agree that that stuff is not normal M1 as shown by the UOA. Hopefully XOM can do a more in depth analysis and give some insight (I know that XOM will prob not release results to me)

I am not looking for a payout here (car is worth 8-10K) and its not reasonable to me to "lawyer up".

Z06. I am still waiting on my mechanic...But I sent XOM the form back and pictures so far first since mechanic is taking long. The water/coolant is what they told me in the beginning that made me worry about a head gasket problem. With my UOA I know it is not now.

Originally Posted By: JAG
From this UOA of M1 0W-20 EP UOA , are shown the main metallic additives, in decreasing concentration order, and second column are the values relative to the concentration of Ca, which is highest.
Ca: 963 1.00
Mg: 687 0.71
Zn: 640 0.66
Mo: 73 0.08
Bo: 43 0.04

We should be looking for similar ratios of these elements in the mystery goo UOA to see if it has the fingerprint of M1 0W-20 EP but at a much reduced concentration. The answer that it does NOT have a similar fingerprint. Mystery goo numbers are the following, with the second column values using Zn as what they are relative to since that has the highest concentration. The third column numbers are relative to Calcium since that is what was used in the above set of relative values.
Ca: 86 0.46 1.00
Mg: 59 0.31 0.69
Zn: 188 1.00 2.19
Mo: 9 0.05 0.10
Bo: 11 0.06 0.13

Both columns of ratios indicate the goo does not match the fingerprint of proper M1 0W-20 EP. The third column’s values are a pretty decent match except for Zinc. Boron is a bit off but it’s a squirrelly element in UOAs since it tends to reduce in concentration over time. I could have included Phosphorus too. It’s trend is similar to Zinc’s trend, which is present in a much higher proportion to the other elements in the mystery goo than it is in the proper Mobil 1. If this was due to foul play by some person, it could be due to someone mixing something lacking in additives along with some M1 along with a ZDDP additive. Very strange situation and I hope Mobil is gracious enough to reimburse you appropriately, even though they may not have been the cause of this mess. It’s one of those things where it may be better for them to plead no contest without accepting guilt.

jag i just looked at your numbers closer. Where did you get your UOA of the oil from? The universal avgs is much different than what you have.

Ca 1880
Mag 217
Zinc 781
Boron 36
Molybdenum 73

93crusier, I am surprise you are telling me I should not contact XOM. I understand the chances are against me. But if you open a bottle of Pepsi and it turn out to be only water inside... would you call Pepsi? I will see what Walmart will say but My hopes are not high for them either. I bought the oil in April. I will be surprise if they still can tracking something like that.

So far I disagree that you said XOM is off the hook. I see no evidence of tampering and since I pour it in myself straight from the bottle I know that it came at the bottle that way. No point in really arguing this. I can agree that that stuff is not normal M1 as shown by the UOA. Hopefully XOM can do a more in depth analysis and give some insight (I know that XOM will prob not release results to me)

I am not looking for a payout here (car is worth 8-10K) and its not reasonable to me to "lawyer up".

Z06. I am still waiting on my mechanic...But I sent XOM the form back and pictures so far first since mechanic is taking long. The water/coolant is what they told me in the beginning that made me worry about a head gasket problem. With my UOA I know it is not now.

You opened and poured the oil from the jug. If someone put the foil back on and the color was close to oil, then they did a good job. Keep in mind oil can pour out pretty quickly from a 5 quart jug into a decent size funnel. Thinking everything is OK would be real easy, especially when you opened a jug and removed the foil on a well tampered with jug. I hate to say it but I really think are SOL.

How would Walmart be able to track a specific jug?

Isn't the UPC the same on all the jugs?

A lot or batch number would be the most specific you could get I think, and as stated over & over in the now 24 (!!!) pages of this thread there would be a lot more people having a cow if an entire run was affected.

I was in WM today and looked at tye oils - I wish i took a picture of M1AFE jug that was sitting on the shelf - it was all covered with oil and the age of that thing was 5+ years. Honestly, i feel keep of scared to buy the oil there, the chance some sick sk@mbag returned it full of junk is quite high...i think new valvolinw jugs would be the hardest ones to fake. Not so hard with Pennzoil...

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I was in WM today and looked at tye oils - I wish i took a picture of M1AFE jug that was sitting on the shelf - it was all covered with oil and the age of that thing was 5+ years. Honestly, i feel keep of scared to buy the oil there, the chance some sick sk@mbag returned it full of junk is quite high...i think new valvolinw jugs would be the hardest ones to fake. Not so hard with Pennzoil...

I don't think the chances are high that you would purchase a jug/qt of used motor oil. I'm pretty sure WM has one of the best loss prevention programs around. If this is happening widely, I think they would do something about it. They are not dummies and it makes them look bad and reduces sales. They don't want that.

I'm sure one slips through the cracks now and then, but I feel confidant that with the seal on the jugs and that plastic ring gizmno, I am getting the real deal. Everyone talks about how it was a crackhead that returned a jug with used oil in it. I think the bigger problem would be an employee pulling something like this and I could see it happening anywhere, not just WM. I know now to check the seals closely and check the smell and color of the oil. All you can do pretty much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Eventually Walmart could stop taking oil back … would not bother me at all …

That may very well happen. I'm with you, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Originally Posted By: Rocky123
Originally Posted By: parshisa

I don't think the chances are high that you would purchase a jug/qt of used motor oil. I'm pretty sure WM has one of the best loss prevention programs around. If this is happening widely, I think they would do something about it. They are not dummies and it makes them look bad and reduces sales. They don't want that.

I'm sure one slips through the cracks now and then, but I feel confidant that with the seal on the jugs and that plastic ring gizmno, I am getting the real deal. Everyone talks about how it was a crackhead that returned a jug with used oil in it. I think the bigger problem would be an employee pulling something like this and I could see it happening anywhere, not just WM. I know now to check the seals closely and check the smell and color of the oil. All you can do pretty much.

I think Walmart is learning and trying to respond to the issues. They can probably put some policy into place that the stores should follow to check things more closely. The thing is, it boils down to the employees checking things over.
I was in one of our local Walmarts a while ago. As I was standing there, looking at the diesel oils, I noticed dirty oil around the cap of one of the bottles of Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 and running down the side. Looking closer at the cap, the locking ring's tabs were broken. Turning the bottle, the sight level showed that the oil was black. The oil was used and the bottle was sitting there on the shelf to sold as new. Since no one was around, I walked around to find an employee. I found a gentleman over by the paint department. I told him about the bottle of used oil. His reaction surprised me, he said, "Again?" Surprised, this was the first bottle I had ever seen, I asked him if this happens often. "We get one every few weeks." was his reply. I stood there and watched him start walking back to the automotive department, muttering and talking under his breath.

What is amazing to me is that it didn't end there. I thought he went back and pulled the used oil off the shelf. Get this, I went to the same Walmart about a week later. I am standing there, looking at the oil, and I see the SAME bottle of oil. I know it was the same because there was a scuffed section on the front label that I had noticed the first time. It was the same jug! As I was standing there, a lady employee came walking over and asked if I needed help. I pointed out the bottle of used oil to her, and she immediately pulled it off the shelf and thanked me for pointing it out to her.

I think Walmart is trying, but, sometimes things like this happen.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just fortunate, but I've never had a problem...and I've been buying oil from Walmart for 20 years. That was generally the only place I bought it until the last couple of years. I have been watching for deals/discounts here on BITOG so just about everything in my stash is from an auto parts store, which hopefully has better personnel managing returns that would know to look for this.

It is unreal the lengths dishonest people will go to to save $20.

Last edited:
Thats what I don't understand, it was was varnish or something I would have smelled it. The stuff looked like oil going in. I use a long funnel to do the oil on this car so I would have to hold and slowly pour.

New vegetable oil looks and pours very similar to new lightweight engine oil, so just by visual observation, I think it would be hard, although not impossible, to tell the two apart. This, of course, also depends on the additive package, as some are darker than others. Valvoline Next-Gen 5w20, for example, is almost exactly the same color as virgin canola oil.

Anything thing at that volume would cost more to put back- a gallon of vegetable oil is prob around $15-20.

$6.18 for a gallon of GV vegetable oil

Also, anyone who cooks a lot of deep-fried foods would likely go through a LOT of leftover used cooking oil. If they were so inclined, they could easily save it and pour THAT into the oil jug. Net cost to them is effectively zero for the used cooking oil.

Also, when used long enough, cooking oil gets pretty dark, and - more importantly - goes through a noticeable chemical change due to the food and water that it comes into contact with. Among other things, it develops types of organic SOAPS, etc.. This, to me, is far more likely the underlying cause for whatever was in the jug going all gel-y.

Blackstone did say it was oil or oil based (that they were able to run their test)

Makes sense.. My gut says it's SOME kind of oil.. just not motor oil. My money is on some cheap vegetable-based oil.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Thats what I don't understand, it was was varnish or something I would have smelled it. The stuff looked like oil going in. I use a long funnel to do the oil on this car so I would have to hold and slowly pour.

New vegetable oil looks and pours very similar to new lightweight engine oil, so just by visual observation, I think it would be hard, although not impossible, to tell the two apart. This, of course, also depends on the additive package, as some are darker than others. Valvoline Next-Gen 5w20, for example, is almost exactly the same color as virgin canola oil.

Anything thing at that volume would cost more to put back- a gallon of vegetable oil is prob around $15-20.

$6.18 for a gallon of GV vegetable oil

Also, anyone who cooks a lot of deep-fried foods would likely go through a LOT of leftover used cooking oil. If they were so inclined, they could easily save it and pour THAT into the oil jug. Net cost to them is effectively zero for the used cooking oil.

Also, when used long enough, cooking oil gets pretty dark, and - more importantly - goes through a noticeable chemical change due to the food and water that it comes into contact with. Among other things, it develops types of organic SOAPS, etc.. This, to me, is far more likely the underlying cause for whatever was in the jug going all gel-y.

Blackstone did say it was oil or oil based (that they were able to run their test)

Makes sense.. My gut says it's SOME kind of oil.. just not motor oil. My money is on some cheap vegetable-based oil.

I think you may be on to something,because anyone who's ever "overheated" or scorched vegetable oil while cooking,it will leave a thick gel-like residue on the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back