My oil cooled PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going through my old photobucket account, posting pictures in anther thread I made - and stumbled onto the oil cooled computer my roommate and I did in college. I thought I would share.

I tested the idea using a cheap alarm clock I got at the local wally world. I didn't want to sacrifice a computer - even an old one - if I wasn't sure it would work.

P3190019.jpg

P3190018.jpg

Yes, what you are looking at is a clock in pure veggie oil

P3180059.jpg

After leaving the clock sealed in that container for a week with no problems, I decided it was time to get my test subject ready.

I used a mini ITX motherboard out of a shuttle XPC, and an AMD Athlon XP processor.

P3180058.jpg

I left the fan on the heatsink, and threw another care fan into the oil to keep it circulating. The fans spun very slowly, but still enough to keep the oil moving.

P3180064.jpg

Then, I decided how I wanted to keep all the oil cool. My mini fridge was just sitting in my living room. Due to a lack of tools, the result isn't pretty - but it worked! I wanted to mount the PSU, optical drives etc on the outside of the fridge - so I didn't risk condensation damaging the parts not submerged in oil.

P3180001.jpg

P3180002.jpg

P3180003.jpg

P3180004.jpg

Duct tape works!

P3180007.jpg

Of course, my friends had to give some help and much unwanted advice

P3180011.jpg

Had an old CRT laying around so I threw it on top of the fridge

P3180009.jpg

And she got great temps

P3190015.jpg

I ran it like that for about 3 months until the oil started smelling bad. It was ... interesting.

The clock in the oil worked for about 8 months until my roommate got mad one day and threw it across the living room, sending an explosion of oil everywhere. He wasn't mad at me.

Sadly, I never much got around to anything extreme with this one - especially since it had the temps to take some serious speed. We moved relatively quickly after building, and it didn't get to come with us.

Last edited:
You've only been on this board a little while but already you're the best picture-poster I've come across. Plus your projects are interesting and slightly odd.

Originally Posted By: cryption

I ran it like that for about 3 months until the oil started smelling bad. It was ... interesting.

You should have shortened your Oil Computing Interval. Or tried Apple juice!
banana2.gif

John

Originally Posted By: John_K

You should have shortened your Oil Computing Interval. Or tried Apple juice!
banana2.gif

John

I agree. The interval was too long for a biodegradable oil. While the lower viscosity of apple juice would help with the fans; it wouldnt do anything for the biodegradation.
I would recommend mineral oil going forward. Ive seen the same thing done with mineral oil with success. Well, until the A/C evaporator the oil was being pumped over froze up and introduced water into the system.
This method of putting it into a refrigerator directly would fix that problem.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the transformers on power lines are filled with mineral oil to keep them cool. That's what first gave me the idea - but mineral oil is far more expensive than veggie oil.

You guys crack me up - apple juice. I started laughing at my desk and looked silly.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
You've only been on this board a little while but already you're the best picture-poster I've come across. Plus your projects are interesting and slightly odd.

I appreciate it man. I really like these forums - so I want to give back as much as I can! I work in IT so I get bored haha.

Last edited:
I guess polychlorinated biphenyl's would be the best for the computer but maybe not something to store in a fridge...
What's wrong with a quality 0W20 synthetic for low temp pumpability?

Well, you see, I'm a Valvoline guy and they didn't have any 0w20 at the store - so I had to go with the veggie oil hehe

I read somewhere that the transformers on power lines are filled with mineral oil to keep them cool. That's what first gave me the idea - but mineral oil is far more expensive than veggie oil.

You guys crack me up - apple juice. I started laughing at my desk and looked silly.

Yeah, the apple juice would be silly. Im sure the NOACK is off the charts and the heating of the components would surely cause substantial losses of cooling fluid.

It would be interesting to build a server using the latest components and do this to it. Overclock it all, use mineral oil, calk all the holes once you have run all the wires, and create a blog about it once you have temps and data numbers to push.
Although I have a feeling that this has already been done on some overclocking forum, it would still be interesting.

I wonder if you could put together numbers to show how profitable overclocking oil cooled systems would be compared to the energy consumption of larger more powerful servers.

You could even run a oil circulation device on a loop with a radiator in a sealed system in order to maximize the cooling potential of the minifridge.

Interesting concept.

About 14 years ago there was a company called Kryotech that made a computer mounted on what was effectively a small air conditioner, with piping to the processor and motherboard to keep it cool. Back in the days of 300MHz processors Kryotech was overclocked in the 500MHz to 550MHz range.

Once of my clients was using a Kryotech box for their data server. By the standards of the day it was extremely fast.

PS, the best one I saw actually had a ump that took the oil out of the top and put it through a radiator (trans cooler sized) outside the case then sent it back in the bottom. It over-clocked quite incredibly.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Oh it's been done....

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

That is really sweet!

today I have been thinking about using Peltier junctions as processor cooling. Basically, you send an electric current through them and one side becomes really hot and the other really cold. I have seen them at radio shack for relatively cheap. I was thinking about a peltier on top of the dye of a CPU (thermal paste of course), and a strong fan to pull heat off the hot side and out the case. Maybe I could even use heat pipes or water cooling.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I don't even know if it's feasible.

Peltiers are an overclocking friend of old. I'm talking back in the Abit BP6 days with dual socket 370 Celerons.

Only problem with them is if they fail.... The CPU roasts pretty quickly.

Interesting. I think I may have something new to try.

Do you have any advice? I tend to jump in head first haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back