My New Hobby

Not new, but model railroading for me. It has a collecting component, as most modelers pursue a favored rail line and collect engines and cars of that road name (The Soo Line for me). A friend recently gifted me a finely detailed caboose ($40) after I helped him plant a tree at his church.
View attachment 107117
What gauge is that? I had a number of trains when I was a kid. Mostly HO gauge and one large O gauge train. I actually still have them, and would one day like to set them up and create a nice layout. I used to go to train shows all the time as a kid with my dad.

My current hobbies are more like businesses, repairing small engines, cars and ATVs for family and friends. I also like riding ATVs, but at almost 32 I'm starting to realize I should take more time for me/my hobbies instead of just working all the time.

Like many Boomers, I grew up with o scale Lionel trains, running over "army men" and doing lots of crashes/derailments.

My model above is H.O. scale. Below is my 4 foot sawmill module that is part of a huge portable H.O. club layout that can exceed 40 ft. x 100 ft.. We set up about 5 times a year at various shows and have a 2 month set up around Christmas at a local museum.
1658247037252.jpeg

My sawmill is a very loose rendition of the Michigan Tech. University Ford Forestry Center sawmill where I attended college decades ago.
1658247492584.jpg

Last edited:
Got into scooters less than a year ago. On scooter #3 now. It's fun and good for family budget, considering how much fuel I save on errand runs and work commutes.
Until you figure how much gas you could buy for the price of 3 scooters! ;) No worries, I use that method all the time, most recently with a new mountain bike. She sees through the faulty logic but she humors me.

I'm looking for a new hobby that's portable for when we soon hit the road for longer periods. Metalwork and woodwork projects aren't possible. My bike goes but you can only ride or tinker with the bike so much.

Until you figure how much gas you could buy for the price of 3 scooters! ;) No worries, I use that method all the time, most recently with a new mountain bike. She sees through the faulty logic but she humors me.

I'm looking for a new hobby that's portable for when we soon hit the road for longer periods. Metalwork and woodwork projects aren't possible. My bike goes but you can only ride or tinker with the bike so much.
It actually worked out nicely. Selling my first scooter paid me back for first+second scooter and all related registration and insurance costs. Selling second scooter made enough profit to buy the third without shelling out any additional money on top of what I spent on the very first one. So far I'm $1000 deep into this hobby, all-in.
For reference: On my truck $1000 gives me enough fuel for 3,000-3,500 miles. On my current 250cc scooter $1000 can be stretched to over 20,000 miles. That's assuming that fuel price is at $4, like it is now locally.
So far I'm calling it a win.

Last edited:
Thought you were collecting scooters as well as riding them. 🤷‍♂️ Have you found the one you want yet? At some point does a scooter rider step up to a motorcycle?
Nah, no collecting. Just riding. Purely for the sake of an eco-commuter. Plus it's more fun than a car/truck, makes the work commutes and errand runs a little more exciting. At this point I don't see myself going to a motorcycle. MPGs are usually worse, unless it's a 250cc Rebel/Virago/Vstar. I do however keep some other scooters on the radar, prefer to go for small CC and big MPG. Honda PCX, ADV150, SuperCub, or Monkey are on my radar. Don't think I would replace my current Honda Reflex with anything else.

SAK addiction here too! I feel helpless without one in my pocket!

My first one I got when I was 14 and still have it today! You can guess what show inspired me to get one. After someone commented that they were surprised I had not lost it yet, I bought a new one and put the original on the shelf. The new one was lost on a camping trip not long after.

Now I have 10 or so and always want to get another. The Super Tinker is my favorite. The new Super Tinker is different than my original from the late 80’s, as they added pliers and a hook, which is really cool.

Otherwise veggie gardening and my Jeep are the main hobbies.

I still have all my sharp shooting rifles from when the boys and I did that. They may come out again someday, but my eye site won’t let me use the M1 sites. Time to move to a scope, which is an investment I am not interested in.

Nah, no collecting. Just riding. Purely for the sake of an eco-commuter. Plus it's more fun than a car/truck, makes the work commutes and errand runs a little more exciting. At this point I don't see myself going to a motorcycle. MPGs are usually worse, unless it's a 250cc Rebel/Virago/Vstar. I do however keep some other scooters on the radar, prefer to go for small CC and big MPG. Honda PCX, ADV150, SuperCub, or Monkey are on my radar. Don't think I would replace my current Honda Reflex with anything else.
There is something fun about a scooter vs. a motorcycle, maybe because scooters are always thought of as tiny slow vehicles to bum around on, so when you get one with some pep you think "this thing shouldn't be this fast". Kind of like a mini-bike.

I have a neighbor with one of those Chinese 50cc 2-stroke scooters he rides to work. He did some mods to the engine (big bore kit I think) exhaust, limiter removal, etc. I rode it and was like jeez this is quite quick for what it is. I mean it was no motorcycle, but it certainly wasn't what I think of when I see those people barely doing 30 mph on the road shoulder.

SAK addiction here too! I feel helpless without one in my pocket!

My first one I got when I was 14 and still have it today! You can guess what show inspired me to get one. After someone commented that they were surprised I had not lost it yet, I bought a new one and put the original on the shelf. The new one was lost on a camping trip not long after.

Now I have 10 or so and always want to get another. The Super Tinker is my favorite. The new Super Tinker is different than my original from the late 80’s, as they added pliers and a hook, which is really cool.

Otherwise veggie gardening and my Jeep are the main hobbies.

I still have all my sharp shooting rifles from when the boys and I did that. They may come out again someday, but my eye site won’t let me use the M1 sites. Time to move to a scope, which is an investment I am not interested in.
An M1C or M1D is an historic piece - with a scope. Win-win. The -D is a lot more affordable. C’s with an original mount go for crazy money…

I have a history of enjoying aquariums, but This time last year I started my own saltwater reef tank.

There is something fun about a scooter vs. a motorcycle, maybe because scooters are always thought of as tiny slow vehicles to bum around on, so when you get one with some pep you think "this thing shouldn't be this fast". Kind of like a mini-bike.

I have a neighbor with one of those Chinese 50cc 2-stroke scooters he rides to work. He did some mods to the engine (big bore kit I think) exhaust, limiter removal, etc. I rode it and was like jeez this is quite quick for what it is. I mean it was no motorcycle, but it certainly wasn't what I think of when I see those people barely doing 30 mph on the road shoulder.
It's addicting and fun. Scooters are extremely flickable, compared to what is considered a real man's motorcycle. Nothing against motorcycles, but scooters definitely have their place and crowd.
All a matter of personal preference. Lowered hatchbacks vs lifted pickups, scooters vs motorcycles, .22 vs .45, etc... One may be superior in everything, but the other choice is just plain fun and delivers more smiles per dollar.

My sawmill is a very loose rendition of the Michigan Tech. University Ford Forestry Center sawmill where I attended college decades ago.
(y) Love the Flxible bus in the first pic. ECU athletic department had one back in the day and I’ve loved the look all these years.

My new hobby is calledFall
Mods appear to have removed by manicrodder status thread. I had a different picture of my knees from the side and the wound on the left left inside leg appears to be something different. I was maybe being to intense. But I got a way to watch TV for a while I have settled down now.

B68F6F0F-847B-471E-82C0-62740E7B629C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Ouch! Us old guys don’t bounce like we used to. My knees looked like that a few months ago when I jumped the hose while gassing up my truck. D!!!! flip flops! :rolleyes:

I have many SAKs and other multitool knives. I have modded some of my knives. Here's an example of a Swiss Champ to which I added a lock-picking tool. To make such a modification I first pry off the Cellidor scale after soaking the knife in hot water for a minute. That way the press-fit scale is usually reusable. Replacement scales are not expensive, though. I always have several sets of spare scales at hand because I like to fit new scales every couple of years. I remove material on the bottom side of the scale to create storage space and an access port. In this case, I gave the tension wrench a slight bend and the resulting friction holds both tools firmly in place inside the handle. Other things you can fit inside the scale are micro SD cards, an RFID chip, a few meters of fishing line or sutures, a magnesium or ferrocerium firestarter rod, sewing needles, etc.

Back