My New Hobby

Has anyone else started a new hobby lately? Or have a current hobby that you really like?
I just recently started a new hobby, collecting Victorinox and Wenger Swiss Army knives (SAK). I'm starting with the small (58mm) knives first then will go up the size ladder from there.
I stopped my other hobby (collecting firearms) for now. I sold some not needed 9mm's (3) and (2) AR-15's. I put that money into my savings account and kept out a few $$$ for my SAK collection.
In the pic below I have $12 total invested in these Victorinox SAK. Of the (3) black knives can you tell which one I have owned for 35 years? The yellow knife arrived yesterday. It glows in the dark. And, all of the knives are preowned/used, except for one of the black knives. I have owned it for 35 years.
As I add more, I will post more pics. I am currently waiting on (4) Wenger SAK to arrive. One of my cousins is an awesome carpenter. He's going to build me a display case to display my knives.
(The 1st black knife is 35 years old)
SAKC.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 of 4 of those myself in a variety of colors and I've had'em for years now. I suppose that if I look around the house, I may even find another here or there kickin' around in a drawer. I don't necessarily collect them and come to think of it, IDK where or how I acquired them.

YES, I do have other hobbies and things that I collect which I have mentioned in other threads in the past and previously. I like wrist watches. There isn't much you can do with a watch except put them on but I like then as much a anything else.

I also like music and a good sound system however, I have sold off all of my vinyl and my old(er) equipment has been selling nicely. Old cassette decks, EQs, turntables, mixing boards, stereo amps/tuners & receivers etc. I won't be purchasing anymore equipment, I'll just keep the ones that I listen to today.

Last edited:
I have 3 of 4 of those myself in a variety of colors and I've had'em for years now. I suppose that if I look around the house, I may even find another here or there kickin' around in a drawer. I don't necessarily collect them and come to think of it, IDK where or how I acquired them.

YES, I do have other hobbies and things that I collect which I have mentioned in other threads in the past and previously. I like wrist watches. There isn't much you can do with a watch except put them on but I like then as much a anything else.

I also like music and a good sound system however, I have sold off all of my vinyl and my old(er) equipment has been selling nicely. Old cassette decks, EQs, turntables, mixing boards, stereo amps/tuners & receivers etc. I won't be purchasing anymore equipment, I'll just keep the ones that I listen to today.
Back in the day (early 80's) I shared a condo with some friends. I owned a Kenwood KT-400 tuner with a Kenwood 400A amp. I had a set of BOSE-901 Series III speakers on pedestals and a pair of 1982 Savard 12" 3 way speakers. I had a JVC dual cassette deck and a Technics turntable. You talk about a system that would wake the dead! My condo was caddy corner to the pool, and I just opened the windows and door and had an awesome concert sound and feel that rocked the pool parties. Man, those were the good old days!

I lost and replaced the tweezers in my midline SAK. Then I found the original tweezers.
In 1981 when I went abroad for the first time I brought along the 'extra' tweezers.

I met the father of a friend (the gal who got me interested in traveling and other things).
He had made a holster for his SAK and I saw that he had lost his tweezers. Fortunately they were of the same style as mine.
I gave him the tweezers and he lit up like a Christmas tree.
The funny part was he was Finnish and didn't speak a word of English. He drug me all over his part of Finland....everything I wouldn't've seen in a million years of traveling.

I believe the tweezers landed better than if I had given him an entire SAK!

This guy handed me a micrometer. I acknowledged it and told him it was a beauty and put it down. He spoke up again and again.
He finally ran off to get someone who spoke English. 'Twas then I was told he made the tool in shop class himself.
I swear you couldn't detect any flaw. I should've seen it bore no trademark etc.

I wanna go back.....but you can't.

Not new, but model railroading for me. It has a collecting component, as most modelers pursue a favored rail line and collect engines and cars of that road name (The Soo Line for me). A friend recently gifted me a finely detailed caboose ($40) after I helped him plant a tree at his church.
DSSA Caboose.jpg

I just got into reloading about three months ago. I can't believe how much joy that I get from my time doing this. Here's my bench last month, it's grown since then.

Attachments

• IMG_1211 (1).jpg
    IMG_1211 (1).jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 33
I have tools my dad used as a mechanic in the fifties. I bet they are of better quality than what is sold now.

Those little ones are absolutely the handiest knives ever made! I've kept mine in my pocket for about 25 years now! Anytime I see one at a flea market, I'll buy it, even if just to give them to a friend.

Was just in Geneva - saw quite a few. There are few things as precise and well done as Swiss Army knives, watches, and yes, rifles. While not a collector, per se, I’ve got a few of each.

I’ve got a nice SAK, I keep in my truck - my wife got it for me a few years back when she was there, and took the factory tour.

I would offer to bring back one for you, but I’m not certain how the Swiss airport authorities would react to seeing it on x-ray…

I received (1) of (4) WENGER SAK today. It's the red knife. Note how much bigger it is than the others. And it's used, but it looks brand new.
Also notice the difference in the shield crests.
ESQ.jpg

I received (1) of (4) WENGER SAK today. It's the red knife. Note how much bigger it is than the others. And it's used, but it looks brand new.
Also notice the difference in the shield crests.
View attachment 107193
Wenger was bought by Victorinox a few years post 9/11 when Wenger's business tanked. Some of their knife designs live on under the Victorinox label as the Delémont Collection. Wenger knives have some refinements that are superior to Victorinox knives. Compare the torsion bars in the pliers and scissors to the flimsy springs on Victorinox knives. Then there are the locking main blades and locking flat screwdrivers on the Wenger knives. I do have a Wenger S54 EVO Grip. It's too nice to use. I usually carry a Swiss Champ.

https://www.swiss-knife.com/en/swiss-knives/victorinox/delemont-collection.html

Back in the day (early 80's) I shared a condo with some friends. I owned a Kenwood KT-400 tuner with a Kenwood 400A amp. I had a set of BOSE-901 Series III speakers on pedestals and a pair of 1982 Savard 12" 3 way speakers. I had a JVC dual cassette deck and a Technics turntable. You talk about a system that would wake the dead! My condo was caddy corner to the pool, and I just opened the windows and door and had an awesome concert sound and feel that rocked the pool parties. Man, those were the good old days!
Awesome, those were the days for sure. Nice set up too.
Its amazing how this is one "advancement" as the years moved on that sound quality has declined to rock bottom decades later.
People who weren't born back then have no idea what high fidelity really means. I do miss it.

I’ve recently gotten more into collecting baseball gloves. Kind of lame to most but I like it lol. Also started collecting some different brands of tools I already collect several but added more brands. I guess you could say a new one is studying Chevrolet too even though I’m a Ford guy I’m going to buy an older Chevy lol so I’ve been studying them more than any other brand haha.

Back