My new 97 F350 Powerstroke!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm so excited, I just recently bought a 97 F350 Powerstroke and wanted to share. The truck has about 142K miles and is in good shape (for the year) is an automatic, and a I believe has the Dana 4.10 rear differential. I found the listing for it online and went to look at it about a week or two ago, it turns out it was owned by a pastor at a Baptist Church here locally. I have driven it quite a bit (1,000, miles or so) so far and absolutely love it. While its not the easiest vehicle to drive as its very heavy and the steering is a little loose compared to my 2013 Taurus, I can tell it will make for a good towing vehicle. When I initially got it it ran fair, but gradually as I have driven it and done some minor maintenance, its been running much better. When starting the two batteries crank the high compression diesel right up, the coldest temperature weve had so far was in the low fifties, while that's not very cold, I did note that there was still only the usual and acceptable minute amount of blue smoke coming from the exhaust during warm up.I believe it hasn't been ran much and when it was, it was typically only for short distances. The pastor was the original owner and purchased it for his cooler installation business but since the congregation has grown hes dedicated more time to the church and for the last ten years or so hasn't needed it to do any hauling.

This is the first diesel I have ever owned and am very curious about the 7.3 and have been reading about its various intricacies. Its a very interesting engine that, by today's standards, is rather simple. The main difference between this diesel and most being produced today is the injection system and its utilization of oil to hydraulically power the injectors. I have read a lot of great reviews concerning the longevity of the engine and transmissions (with proper maintenance of course) and plan on keeping the truck for a very long time.

So far the aforementioned maintanence I have done was, changed the HPOP and engine oil (Mororcraft 15W-40 & Motorcraft filter for the engine oil), had the fuel filter above the engine changed, changed the rear differential fluid (Valvoline limited slip synthetic), changed the air filter (I think the Ford quick lube shop said it was a Purolator), and I've been adding Motorcraft cetane booster to the fuel with every fill up. The truck shifts smooth and fast. Though I was also told the transmission fluid condition is acceptable, I still plan on having it changed with Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Now that I know the truck is mechanically sound I am going to allocate my spare time to fixing some of the minor flaws, up next on the agenda is repairing or replacing the slowly leaking rear fuel tank, and then moving on to the restoration of some of the flawed cosmetic aspects, but before I do that could you guys please let me know if there's anything else you would suggest I do from a mechanical standpoint to ensure the longevity and that its in the best running condition. And Lastly, I would also like your opinion on switching the oil to 5W-40 TDT though I live in north Florida; I would like the added assurance of the oil circulating quicker at startup and the higher viscosity of a synthetic in hotter summer temps to come.

Photo of the 97 F350

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses

Amir

Nice looking truck! There's just something "all business" about a standard cab dually. A co-worker had a Ford F250 Crew Cab single-tire rear pickup with the 7.2 for many years and sneaking up near 400,000 miles. The engine never gave even the slightest hiccup, and rather late in the truck's life he did some performance upgrades for towing his R/V. The biggest benefit was an aftermarket exhaust down-pipe from the turbocharger outlet to the muffler. The factory pipe (on his model year, anyway) had a "D" shaped cross section to clear the firewall. There was a readily available aftermarket part that got rid of the flat side, giving a full, round pipe all the way down and increasing the pipe cross-section by 30-40%. Clearance was obtained by using a hammer and bar to bend over a firewall pinch-weld- very simple modification. That one change dropped his peak exhaust gas temperature by almost 500 degrees when climbing steep grades, giving more power and at the same time easing the stress on the turbo. And it let him go to the next level of performance tune without worrying about killing the turbo or burning a valve with sky-high EGTs.

He would tell you that the transmission is the weak spot. Yes, he was pushing 400,000 miles on the truck and engine, but the THIRD transmission was only at around 200k when he sold the truck. The third one was holding up longer than the first two (he firmly believed) because he'd thrown the biggest cooler possible at it, and shortened up fluid change intervals.

All in all, it was a good, hard-working truck with a great engine. And you're right, the 7.2 with HEUI injection (also known as the Navistar T444E in Navistar trucks) has a very solid reputation- most people would prefer a 200k mile 7.2 to a brand-new 6.0 or 6.4, given all the problems that they've had. He did say he was absolutely shocked how much more potent his current 2011 Ford 6.7 was... but the jury is still out on the long-term reliability (although its already got a better rep than the 6.0 and 6.4 ever had).

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat

but before I do that could you guys please let me know if there's anything else you would suggest I do from a mechanical standpoint to ensure the longevity and that its in the best running condition. And Lastly, I would also like your opinion on switching the oil to 5W-40 TDT though I live in north Florida; I would like the added assurance of the oil circulating quicker at startup and the higher viscosity of a synthetic in hotter summer temps to come.

Just make sure to change the Fuel Filter maybe every 15k miles. Any of your standard 15W-40 oils are more than fine, like Rotella. Synthetic oil and cold starts are insignificant in Florida. Cold is -20 deg F, where everyone still uses 15W-40 anyway. Keep it cheap.

Wow, I am jealous. That truck is awesome
thumbsup2.gif
. I can sure picture that baby with a huge aftermarket grille-guard front bumper and a headache rack. Fixing it up mechanically comes first though!

Thanks for the great advise, I've heard the transmission is the weak spot too, I am mulling over either adding a larger cooler pan (which holds about 5 more quarts) or a transmission radiator, not quite sure; but I do know if I go with the radiator I will add an additional filter as well. I think the Mobil 1 ATF may help a little with increasing the longevity as well. I also try to keep the RPM at or lower than 2k when accelerating which should also cause less wear on the bands.

Thank you all for the comments!

Amir

If you want to get the most longevity of the tranny and engine I would only recommend five things:

1. Install an inline magnetic transmission filter
2. When you change the engine oil, suck the oil out of the HPOP reservoir. Do it twice by sucking it out once, refill the crank and reservoir with oil, run for 10 minutes, suck out HPOP reservoir again, refill and your done.
3. Get your diesel from locations that have lots of turnover. This will help your injectors and pump.
4. Stay away from biodiesel. While Biodiesel is appealing this particular engine is not well designed to handle biodiesel and aftermarket kits do not replace all the seals/gaskets/hoses that come in contact with fuel.
5. Go to Powerstrokehelp (1 word) YouTube channel and website. Wealth of knowledge and has specific videos on how to get the most miles of your Powerstroke. He has a truck called Spot that finally died just short of 800k miles on the original engine!

Originally Posted By: CurtisB
Wow, I am jealous. That truck is awesome
thumbsup2.gif
. I can sure picture that baby with a huge aftermarket grille-guard front bumper and a headache rack. Fixing it up mechanically comes first though!

Thanks Curtis!, I relly enjoy it. I have been looking both a headache rack and grille guards, I would also like to mount some offroad chrome lighting, perhaps on the headache rack.

Amir

Keep the engine oci in strict compliance with the manufacturer's recommendation. That injection system you spoke of is hard on oil! Mobil 1 TDT is a very good oil.

Nice looking old truck and a diesel is pretty neat.
It sounds like you have a good plan for going through it with new fluids.
Don't neglect coolant, PSF and brake fluid.
You'll learn what it needs as you drive it.
Vague steering might indicate the need for a little front end work, for example.
Good luck with this new tool!

Originally Posted By: domer10
I would look into the line of archoil lubricants, do amazing things for those diesels!!! Amazing!.

+1 Its really a good idea to work on the stiction issues ahead of time.

And add the largest trans cooler you can get! Radiator style as opposed to tube and fin design. Radiator style is far more efficient. I've read many recommend only FORD coolers, FWIW.

Powestrokehelp.com has several videos you should watch. He makes an excellent case for installing a coolant filter. And no, I'm not familiar with one either. Please watch the videos!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I thought that the 97 would have a different body style?

I had the 98 150 back in the day, and it looked much different.

The F350 and F-Superduty stayed on the old body style until the "new" super duty 250 and 350 were introduced for the 99 model year.

From 96-99 the F250 was a F150 body, frame but with heavier axles and an oddball 7 lug pattern. When the"new" super duty was introduced, that truck was called F150 7700 for a year or two

Oh man. What a nice truck. I love that body style; and its a std. cab dually in black. I think Im drooling. Only thing that would make it better was if it was a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back