My nearest WalMart is being remodeled..........

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
My nearest WalMart is being remodeled and all the oil has been rearranged into a long straight aisle. It is a bit creepy as there is only one entrance and one exit on the aisle at the ends. It is at least 50 feet long. It was really weird going in there yesterday. No oil was on rollback. The cheapest Mobil 1 was the new Hybrid 0w-20 for $27.97. The new QS was in stock at the $23.98 price, and only 1 jug wide top to bottom. Didn't buy any oil, but spent $75 on life stuff if you can find it in the rearrangement. .

My nearest WalMart is being remodeled and all the oil has been rearranged into a long straight aisle. It is a bit creepy as there is only one entrance and one exit on the aisle at the ends. It is at least 50 feet long. It was really weird going in there yesterday. No oil was on rollback. The cheapest Mobil 1 was the new Hybrid 0w-20 for $27.97. The new QS was in stock at the $23.98 price, and only 1 jug wide top to bottom. Didn't buy any oil, but spent $75 on life stuff if you can find it in the rearrangement. .
Buy online. WM will ship it to your door, free, if the order is over $35.

That’s the new design. Ours has the one entrance into that aisle and the other end is the auto center. All the oil is on one side and the filters and miscellaneous are on the other.

The first couple of times I went there I had to figure out how to get to it as it’s off the main aisle.

I wonder what your seemingly odd WM remodeling was prompted by.
Having shoppers in the "oil aisle" see that the auto center is right there in case they want to hire the job out to WM?

Will a WM without an auto center rearrange things?

Maybe the new design has something to do with shoplifting? Maybe some psychological aspect to this design like how some stores in high crime areas play classical music to reduce shoplifting. A longer aisle may prevent easy exits and reentry into the main shopping area?

I have no idea why they move entire sections. People knew where everything was. But it sounds like they have someone in charge that's just trying to look busy and justify their job.

Some Walmart and other stores are putting high value items like cosmetics in locked glass cases however some have stopped this practice. We'll see if that lasts. How long before oil gets sequestered also? So far the practice is mostly in low rent districts. Imagine ringing for the clerk asking if he will open the case so you can check the oil certs on the back of the jug.

If that remodeling trend happens in my town, I'm out.

download.jpg

Some Walmart and other stores are putting high value items like cosmetics in locked glass cases
The WM we shop at mostly seems to only have some electronics and ammo locked up. Don't recall that cosmetics are, in fact, 99% certain they are not (we have daughters). Oh, razors.... razors are locked up, at least the blade refills.

cant blame them for trying to curb losses + since they are price goughing like others $$$$ is not an issue IMO! $15 for the same 8 oclock coffee that was $10 2 years ago etc!!!

I have no idea why they move entire sections. People knew where everything was. But it sounds like they have someone in charge that's just trying to look busy and justify their job.
I think you're partially correct.

The other reason for the remodel, is the lack of items to fill the shelves.
Most of the WM stores I visited along the I5 in Washington state, were mostly baron during and shortly after the pandemic (haven't been back since, so I cannot comment on now). Since many items have become obsolete with no replacements, WM is forced to be creative with the extra floor space.

cant blame them for trying to curb losses + since they are price goughing like others $$$$ is not an issue IMO! $15 for the same 8 oclock coffee that was $10 2 years ago etc!!!

Inflation and people shoplifting is driving up prices.

I don’t blame any company for closing stores with high shrinkage.

Reactions: hrv
I think you're partially correct.

The other reason for the remodel, is the lack of items to fill the shelves.
Most of the WM stores I visited along the I5 in Washington state, were mostly baron during and shortly after the pandemic (haven't been back since, so I cannot comment on now). Since many items have become obsolete with no replacements, WM is forced to be creative with the extra floor space.
My Walmart is jam packed and has all of its shelves populated yet they still found a reason to change everything recently so i walked away with some things since the apps layout also wasn't updated. I understand if they need to shimmy the shelved together a bit more to add another. But if they simply had a few more shelves than needed then just remove the shelves and widen everything. No need to hit the stores layout with a tornado if you want to add or remove some shelves. A kid could tell you that.

I was at Wally for other things, I was just doing the mandatory BITOG oil aisle cruze. Just thought it was a weird setup IMO. Sort of a tunnel effect feeling.
I do the same thing; even if I don’t need oil, I cruise through the oil aisle just to see what’s up. My WM has had the one long oil aisle concept since I started going there. Starts with diff lubes, grease, trans fluid then oil and at the end fuel additives / stabilizers / WD40 type stuff. Opposite it is the filters, coolant etc.
Can’t go in there without checking the oil aisle……

since they are price goughing like others $$$$ is not an issue IMO! $15 for the same 8 oclock coffee that was $10 2 years ago etc!!!
Did it ever occur + to you + that the supplier is the one + that raised prices ?

Reactions: hrv

Some of the walmarts here were remodeled a few times over the years.
Some got new freezers and refrigerators for their frozen and 'fridged foods.
Others had the tile flooring removed and the concrete polished and clearcoated

The most recent had all the aisles rearranged... most likely moving volume and profit to better areas and the lower volume stuff to the sticks. It also seems to be more efficient and more open in busier aisles while less busy aisles are narrower and claustrophobic

Back