My experience selling a vehicle to Vroom

With the crazy used car market I got price quotes from multiple companies to consider selling my 2019 Raptor crew cab that I bought new for $65,500 in April of 2019. I took detailed photos that showed the couple rock chips and a 1/2” scratch on a rear door and noted them on the sites when requesting a quote.

The offers were as follows:

Vroom $70,000
Carvana $64,055
givemethevin.com $65,631 then increased to $67,000
KBB’s instant cash offer $68,454

I went ahead with Vroom and as long as you don’t mind making a few extra phone calls to check on the status of the payment/paperwork it wasn’t terrible. I accepted Vroom’s offer on 6/15, then overnighted the paperwork and title on 6/17. The truck was picked up on 6/24 then moved to the Kansas City area on 6/25.

6/30-my truck appears on the Vroom site for sale for $79,499. A few days later it is lowered to $78,999 then raised back up to $79,499.

7/2-I received the check for $70,000 but they “forgot” to sign it, UGH! Called and had it voided and was told it would be reissued after 3 business days.

I called multiple times to get the tracking info for the new check with a constant “it’ll be 2-3 more business days, we don’t have a phone # for accounting” line before finding an email for the Vroom CEO on Reddit. Sent him an email on the evening of 7/12 and received a call the next day to advise the check will be sent or they can wire the funds. Received the check on 7/15 and it was signed so I was able to deposit it.

Meanwhile Vroom has lowered the price from $79,499 a couple times and it is now listed for $71,499. Maybe I’ll buy it back if they lower it to $60,000?!? I placed an order for a 2021 Raptor on 6/15 and have a scheduled build date of 8/14 and “should” have the truck by the first week of September. No discounts on the new truck but no markup either but it was $3800 more for the new one than Vroom paid me for mine. Hopefully the new truck doesn’t get delayed due to the chip shortage, lack of car transporters, COVID, flooding or any other reason. I think I got my deal done just in time as the 2021s were set to be ordered and I figured the market would correct.
500202AF-68BB-4196-A0E5-F7DFD230ACD7.jpeg

I'm curious how these different sites do their quoting. Vroom offered $13,500 for my spark when Carvana offered $16,900. Strange that sometimes they are close and others they are on different planets.

Thanks for sharing. Should not have had those issues getting paid from a company that does that full time. My daughter recently sold to Carvana with no issues but of course both your experience and hers are one offs so who knows.

It looks like the other offers (which were still crazy good considering) were closer to reality as it appears Vroom may have not have left themselves enough margin at 70k. If they are patient however I bet they'll still get somebody to bite.

Was the 2019 raptor Troublesome? Curious why the move to a different Raptor.

No problems at all. Just figured I’d trade up to a 3rd generation with these inflated values. Interested in how the new rear suspension does as well as the new interiors. I would’ve liked a Raptor R but not sure when those will be at dealers and probably too expensive for me as well.

I'm curious how these different sites do their quoting. Vroom offered $13,500 for my spark when Carvana offered $16,900. Strange that sometimes they are close and others they are on different planets.

Yeah it’s the same story on different forums I’ve read. What is highest with one model is the lowest on another. Not sure if it’s regional or what but no way would I think they’d have a buyer for a used truck at $7,000 over NEW MSRP.

The unsigned check sounded like a stall attempt to have a few days to sell it first. I sold my truck to Algo..

Best price and they picked it up as well.

Yeah it could have been an honest mistake on their part or maybe checks under a certain amount have a printed sig and over needs an actual signature or something. It was listed for sale almost immediately but I was concerned they’d reduce the value they were paying me as they had a line on the contract about adjusting price based on actual condition or unforeseen market conditions. I wasn’t familiar with Algo, maybe should’ve checked them out too.

So are these guys just buying vehicles still on warranty or will they venture into vehicles off warranty.

They will buy vehicles out of warranty as well. The kbb Instant Cash offer just directs you to a few participating local dealers so maybe I should’ve done that and tried getting them to match Vroom’s offer. It might have saved me the hassle of calling Vroom a bunch and I would’ve walked out with a check the same day. I will say if Vroom had just signed the first check I wouldn’t really have anything to complain about. I think their first line of call center reps are either a 3rd party or in another country, or both. They can’t do much at all but read you some notes or input notes for someone to hopefully see at a later time. Asking for their manager gets you to someone in Houston but even they can’t do much in my case except “send a message to accounting”.

My 2001 Dodge 1/2 ton v8 club cab auto 83,000 miles
Did the what would I get thing recently quoted $500-$750 from various online buyers

looks like it’s still worth more to keep than to sell

Back