Muzzle brake or bayonet on an SKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Googled this for a while and found nothing. I was wondering which would someone who owns an SKS prefer. Muzzle brake or bayonet? It seems you can't have both.

I keep the bayonet on mine. Though it is a original chinese model. If I had a different one i'd swap it for the muzzle and modify it for ak magazines.

I just got one awhile back and I think I'd prefer both. Ha ha. Really though, if it's true I can't have both, I'd like to get a muzzle brake and a bipod (for use in the bayonet lug). I wouldn't mind a bayonet, though. Just have to figure out which way I'm going to take the project.

You don't need a muzzle brake on an SKS any more than you need a bayonet or a bipod or a picatinny rail or a folding stock or a red-dot scope, but all of those things look cool even if they're useless. I don't think the people who are doing all these mods are using their dad's Vietnam war bring backs. Most of them are like mine, cheap chinese imports of no historical value. Might as well make them look cool.

I agree, a 100% complete and original SKS with all the proper stuff looks very nice in it's own right, but so does one with all the silly [censored] on it.

Well, I am probably a little older than many here. I can remember these sks's laying in crates on the floor at the gun shops for $55.00ea. I realize that you may see a $300 price tag on these now a days but they are still only a $100 rifle at best. Nothing wrong with that, I own 2 and they are very good and reliable camp/truck rifles.

I have seen many butcher their sks with adapted "duckbill" ak mags or the 20 round chicom fixed mag but it only seems to make them less reliable. I would never alter my rifles from original but then again I am just old skool that way.

Yep, I've seen crates and crates of SKS for well under $70 each.

If you wanted to pick through the crates they charged you $10 more. They had new never used ones for $100 even at the gun show years ago.

Never owned one. I've got plenty of family members who have one plus a few tins of ammo.

Bill

You don't have to be that old to remember when firearms were cheaper than they are today by quite a margin. We've all seen crates and crates of them at cheap prices... 10 years ago. Even two years ago, but not today. Everybody could get piles of these guns in the eighties for a little bit of nothing, but that's twenty plus years ago and times have changed, unfortunately.

I wish I had a time machine to go back and get an SKS for $100 (regardless of whatever you think they're worth in imaginary currency) but the fact is, if you're buying one for $100 in America today you'd better wear gloves because it's probably hot and if you're selling one for $100 you're an idiot or a thief. Unless things change and we let the chinese and russians flood the market with these guns again, the days of the $100 SKS are done.

You can get a nice Yugo SKS with a good muzzle break already on it and keep the bayonet. You HAVE to keep the bayonet, thats the coolest looking part of the rifle.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I dunno, I think the grenade launcher on the Yugos is pretty cool, too.

"What's that on your rifle?"

"Oh, nothing... JUST A GRENADE LAUNCHER!"

LOL that is the coolest aspect of the Yugo. Got a slick blade and a grenade launcher!!! Amazing rifle. Lately Ive been seeing Yugos without the Launcher but instead with a nice looking muzzle break that almost looks like a surpressor. It's about as long as one but it has the port holes for gas. Anyway mine came with that instead of the launcher.

Thanks for all the replies. I have shot SKS's with and without muzzle brakes and there is a difference. It just seems to make it more accurate when repeat firing, but for single shots especially I don't think I need one. Its not like shooting a Barrett .50cal w/o a muzzle brake. I bought this Russian SKS in 1989 with a cracked stock and has had a Tapco stock for years. It doesn't have the built in 10 round mag anymore, but I use the 20/30 round Tapcos without any troubles unlike the metal mags which seem to jam. I do have all the parts to convert it to original. I should have prefaced this thread with the mods so far, as well as saying I have another SKS (Norinco) in original form. Both are super accurate and dependable. They are used as varmint and sport guns.

How do you like that tapco stock? How does it feel? I've heard some people say they feel solid and others say they feel too light or flimsy. What's your opinion?

The Tapco is top notch and feels solid. Though I went from a cracked wood stock so anything would have felt better. It shoots nice and accurate. The cleaning kit compartment in the grip is a little cheesy, but works. I like the adjustable length stock. When shopping around, the Tapco seemed to have higher ratings than the Fiberforce. I have a Fiberforce stock for a MAK90 which I like too though did require some deburring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back