Multiple NAPA guys say they're "moving away" from Mann+Hummel??

I'm actually seeing "Wix Like" products being offered at Oreilly's via (MicroGuard) Premium Guard filters so maybe there is some truth to this Napa change.
That's exactly what I was thinking.. Posted that before on another thread. Looks like a lot of parts retailers (Napa, Oreilly, etc) are catching on that Mann-Hummel products are lacking quality! Good for these retailers to notice! Must have car-minded people in management positions to change their house brands over from Wix/Mann-Hummel.. Must be close to the apocalypse! Why? because for once someone did something right! lol

That's exactly what I was thinking.. Posted that before on another thread. Looks like a lot of parts retailers (Napa, Oreilly, etc) are catching on that Mann-Hummel products are lacking quality! Good for these retailers to notice! Must have car-minded people in management positions to change their house brands over from Wix/Mann-Hummel.. Must be close to the apocalypse! Why? because for once someone did something right! lol
I will add that M&H has probably started hitting their bottom dollar (Charging Napa More $$). If they know they can get better quality filters for less then it's inevitable for the change to happen. It seems more than just a supply issue here IMO.

The NAPA I go to which is a corporate store, always has plenty of Golds in stock. It's the Platinum they have trouble getting, they tell me.

Meanwhile, O'Reilly usually always has the XP in stock.

The NAPA I go to which is a corporate store, always has plenty of Golds in stock. It's the Platinum they have trouble getting, they tell me.

Meanwhile, O'Reilly usually always has the XP in stock.

Stock of Wix XP has been iffy since Covid. It doesn’t help on most numbers we only stock like 2. Sure at the high volume store I’m at now we have more on some common numbers but I feel like we’ve always got some empty slots on the shelf when it comes to the XPs. No issues keeping M1 or KN or OEM filters stocked if we’re talking “premium” filters.

Stock of Wix XP has been iffy since Covid. It doesn’t help on most numbers we only stock like 2. Sure at the high volume store I’m at now we have more on some common numbers but I feel like we’ve always got some empty slots on the shelf when it comes to the XPs. No issues keeping M1 or KN or OEM filters stocked if we’re talking “premium” filters.
You got the 51040XP in stock? 🙂

I will add that M&H has probably started hitting their bottom dollar (Charging Napa More $$). If they know they can get better quality filters for less then it's inevitable for the change to happen. It seems more than just a supply issue here IMO.
You make a great point. Not only are they balancing the quality but also what the retailer's cost on those filters. I wouldn't put it past M/H to raise prices, lower quality, typical corporate moves.. And time and time again those cheapening moves usually results in the company laying off people, executives get a bonus and go to another company to ruin.

But those moves result in the consumers getting a better product, cannot complain about that!

This is the exact reason we left Carquest at work. They switched from Wix to several other manufacturers which raised our prices. Wix had a super program which reduced list cost to us by about 70 to 80%. Some of our air filters listed in the hundreds of dollars so using Wix was a win win for price and quality. Our local NAPA sucked so bad we went with O'Reilly down the hill for Wix. Before I retired I noticed part numbers going unavailable for a while then returning as a rebadged Purolator. We will see what shakes out.

You make a great point. Not only are they balancing the quality but also what the retailer's cost on those filters. I wouldn't put it past M/H to raise prices, lower quality, typical corporate moves.. And time and time again those cheapening moves usually results in the company laying off people, executives get a bonus and go to another company to ruin.

But those moves result in the consumers getting a better product, cannot complain about that!
A WIX filter for my truck is $48 now from Napa. :oops:

The NAPA (No auto parts available) store 2 blocks away from my house, closed a few years ago. I tried to do business with them on many occasions, but they never had anything in stock to buy. The story always went, we can order it for you and have in tomorrow. So I guess they came up with a new excuse for not having anything in stock. The last time I went there, they gave the their stock reply about having it tomorrow, to the two customers in front of me as well . I left and went to advanced auto parts which was about a half mile away. Guess who was there when I got there ?. The three of us looked at each other and laughed,as they left with what they came in for. I honestly can't believe napa has lasted so long with their outdated way of doing business.,,,
Keep in mind there is Private Franchise Napas & Napa Corporate stores...some of the old private guys are probably just biding time? I have 4 stores local to me, 2 Private & 2 Corp, all do a pretty good job. The 5th store that was closest to me went tits up like 2 years back they were an old private store that sold out to Napa & did a terrible job- I guess they closed em up due to other stores close by? Anyway, they dont all suck

Last edited:
The only bad thing about AZ is they then "TAKE CARE OF" everyone else! I've been trying to convince them to give me a deal for years, just don't buy enough. (And the fact a lot of their parts are junk doesn't help!)
AZ's service is good for us, sometimes parts are crap but have good warranty....probably why Advance bought CarQuest to improve quality- but all this imported crap is the same- just a different sticker

Back