Mounting luggage box - top or on tow hitch rack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer I picked up a couple of those plastic luggage cargo boxes. One is the ubiquitous Sears X-Cargo big white bubble carrier. It is about 40 x 30 x 20. I know I can mount on it the roof rack, but I was thinking about mounting on the rear using a hitch mounted cargo rack. I would stand it on end and have to figure out some way to strap it down.

The question I have is would it be legal? It would block the view of the license plate, but not the lights.

I also picked up a Yakima Space Case, which is not made any more. I think it might be because it is too big. It is 92 x 38 x 18. I have a Saturn VUE and when I set it on top it hangs out both ends. I guess I could still use it. It would hold a LOT of stuff.

If I had both of these things mounted I would probably double the amount of cargo I could carry.

Originally Posted By: datech
The question I have is would it be legal? It would block the view of the license plate, but not the lights.

If your plate isn't visible, it's illegal.

I wonder if I can mount the license plate on the cargo hitch carrier?

Also, as far as a trailer, I was also thinking about buying a 6 x 12 enclosed cargo trailer. Then would it have its own plate?

If I had both of these things mounted I would probably double the amount of cargo I could carry.

Check your payload and axle ratings for cargo loads. Mounting them both and filling them both will also give you squirly handling characteristics. Will the inside of the car be filled with people? Because people do weigh a lot and can easily max out your payload on smaller vehicles.

For example my 2012 Escape has a 1200 lb payload limit so with four 250 lb guys and a small amount of gear I'm maxed out on payload.

Just two in the front seats. I can only carry a hundred on the roof according to the manual, so puffy light stuff, sleeping bags, etc., or long things that wouldn't fit inside, oars maybe. I have spare tires on rims that would be nice to get out of the way.

The rear carrier is rated for 300 lbs. I guess the plastic box weighs something.

I wouldn't do this very often, it would be only when the occasion really demanded the extra room.

I guess I should figure out a way to make the license plate visible if I ever mount the Sears carrier on the back. Either that or sell it to somebody else at a garage sale.

Last summer I picked up a couple of those plastic luggage cargo boxes. One is the ubiquitous Sears X-Cargo big white bubble carrier. It is about 40 x 30 x 20. I know I can mount on it the roof rack, but I was thinking about mounting on the rear using a hitch mounted cargo rack. I would stand it on end and have to figure out some way to strap it down.

Won't work. I have one for my Rav4. It mounts on the roof rack. Works well. You will lose 1.5mpg.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Won't work. I have one for my Rav4. It mounts on the roof rack. Works well. You will lose 1.5mpg.

Have a Sears cargo or the Yakima? Why won't it work? I guess I will lose visibility through the rear window and the license plate will be blocked. I guess the gas mileage loss isn't too bad. I don't intend to do this often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back