Motor Oil Shelf Life-Chevron Answers The ?????

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Fact is, the additives that are in engine oil can and do have a shelf life. No one here knows what that time frame is. The lame argument that "oil" is millions of years old doesn't apply to a formulated product.
Blackstone tested some oils from the 1960's and the additives they were supposed to have were there and intact. A five year shelf life for oil is ludicrous--formulated or otherwise.

Good, think the M1 that I just put in the Fusion Hybrid is over 5 yo since I found it away from my stash area and don’t recall buying it

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Fact is, the additives that are in engine oil can and do have a shelf life. No one here knows what that time frame is. The lame argument that "oil" is millions of years old doesn't apply to a formulated product.

Only partially true hall, I'm leaning more with the earlier arguments about the new oil specs coming out in relatively short periods of time- ~5 years.

Without starting any debate whatsoever other than to answer the OP's question, it's like trying to "prove" how old the earth is, or the theory of evolution. Since nobody was around that long ago to watch and document any of the suspected changes up until present date, it's impossible to scientifically evaluate those theories. Just like honestly answering the question of how long a sealed container of oil will be good. Let's answer it this way, since this is my theory- with today's plastic jugs, automobiles as we know them will be gone long before that oil "goes bad".

My take on Chevron's date coding? It's purely a marketing move, to make people who are skeptical to begin with buy more oil because they will think it's "spoiled". That's it in a nutshell.

Thanks but I had no question. I never even said if I agreed with it or not.
Only that Chevron came out with this statement. I have oil from the late 70's and a few cans from the 50's.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I think that BITOG members can better answer the question of:
"What is the shelf life of motor oil"?

Really?
Ain't this the same bunch who gets into a ruckus when someone questions the owners manual about what weight oil they should use. You know the old engineers know best line. lol

Originally Posted By: Zee09
I think that BITOG members can better answer the question of:
"What is the shelf life of motor oil"?

Really?
Ain't this the same bunch who gets into a ruckus when someone questions the owners manual about what weight oil they should use. You know the old engineers know best line. lol

laugh.gif

Indeed. I do believe the engineers know best. However, I think that the oil companies only test oil shelf life for a certain time(e.g., ~10 yrs) and stop. So, they don't know how long an oil can sit on a shelf beyond that point and won't make any claims.

Members including myself have used up their oil stash beyond that time with good results. Optimum results? IDK but, it doesn't seem to be killing anything.
smile.gif

First off I'm not saying ya or nay but to think that this is pure marketing is even tougher for me to swallow. If I'm the head of marketing for a company I want you coming back more often than every five years to buy my product so why not say 6 months or a year if that's all I'm trying to do is get you to buy more of my product sooner.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Seems Chevron answers this question with their Euro 5W40 Havoline Ultra
Read down to the bottom in the gray box.
60 months from the bottle filling date- Interesting

Its would only be really interesting if it was believable.

So it isn't.

And just how do you know all this Mr. Ducked?

Easy. It isn't believable because I don't believe it.

That's logically this "all" (of which you speak) required to justify my post.

If you were to ask WHY I don't believe it, my reasons would include:-

(a) The (AFAIK complete) lack of ANY evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, to justify such, or any, time limit.

(b) The fairly numerous but scattered (mostly anecdotal) accounts of ancient oil being tested and used with no evidence of abnormality.

(c) Manufactures general record of arbitrary CYA/sales promoting statements in this and other contexts.

(d) The shortness of many of these stated shelf lives relative to the (itself generally understated) service life in an operating engine. This is likely to be given as a year. Less than 5 times longer on the shelf, uncontaminated, at room temperature, in a sealed (though possibly permeable) container, doesn't compute.

For more specific evidence (sort-of) I go to this

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

Its titled "Lubricant Storage Life Limits - Industry Needs a Standard " and it was written, and is sometimes quoted to support shelf lives, though it in fact does the opposite, since if you read it you might reasonably conclude that "industry doesn't need a standard", since they don't appear to have one, nor any basis for one.

Like most "pitches", what it doesn't say is as significant as what it does. There is absolutely no evidence reported here for on-shelf deterioration of motor oils. Instead, its served up as a ready-cooked "given" with a side order of "The sky is falling" Chicken-Little panic salad.

They survey industry recommendations. Table 4 (recommended shelf life for indoor storage at 20C) is especially instructive

Major oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) 1 YEAR
Major oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) 1 YEAR:
Major oil company D: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) 1 YEAR
Major oil company D: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) 1 YEAR:

Independant oil company B: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) Virtually unlimited *
Independant oil company B: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) : Virtually unlimited
Independant oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (mineral) : Infinite
Independant oil company C: 10-30W Motor Oil (PAO) : Infinite

1 year (!) isn’t very long, and 1 year to infinity is a pretty wide range. I think you could say there's a certain lack of concensus.

IF the 1 year has a basis in fact, it could mean that the major oil companies massive (but of course secret) testing of their latest oils, extending over several decades, has told them that their oil is particularly fragile.

OR it could be that their general knowledge of the chemistry of their product makes them think it might be particularly fragile, though its odd that the PAO, plausibly believed to be more stable in an engine, is just as fragile on the shelf.

OR it could be that they wanted to cover their big fat corporate arse, and pulled the smallest number out of it that they thought they could get away with, assuming no one would notice that it was completely unbelievable.

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but I've found its actually quite difficult to be TOO cynical, and often quite an effort to be cynical enough.

Guess I just missed the "Chevron" window. Currently running PUP 5w20 SN made 2012, for a full year or Honda 15% MM, whichever comes first. Shook and poured, no worries here.

Indeed. I do believe the engineers know best. However, I think that the oil companies only test oil shelf life for a certain time(e.g., ~10 yrs) and stop. So, they don't know how long an oil can sit on a shelf beyond that point and won't make any claims.

Not quite sure how they could test shelf life of current blends for any period of time (let alone 10 years) and then certificate them for any time period to current specs.

Basiago and Obama may well have been originators of the test protocols to make RSL (Retrospective Shelf Life) testing a reality.

Originally Posted By: z71offroader83
I just dumped some Valvoline Durablend 5w-30 in my lawnmower engine. The oil is at least 13 years old.

Mowers have higher revs and need better protection than your vehicle. Price of each should not even be a consideration here.

My lawnmower gets $6 qt oil. My vehicle engine gets $3-4 qt oil. I'm first & last owner of my vehicles also and they-all go to the Michigan salt-rusted junkyard 18 years later with a clear dipstick and running very well.

Show all your engine machinery better respect and service than that.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
If I'm the head of marketing for a company I want you coming back more often than every five years to buy my product so why not say 6 months or a year if that's all I'm trying to do is get you to buy more of my product sooner.

Then your product is too expensive in the long run - needs replaced too often.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Running 15 year old 0W30 "green" Castrol in a half dozen vehicles and OPE engines.

A lot of long time members of this site would kill to get their hands on some of that good ole elixir right there!
20.gif

I'm just about out of stock...but the OPE will be years more running on it before any changes.
I promise to report any engine failures due to lubrication.

Shelf life is a wide open question but API levels will change every few years and yea additves will fallout.

What effect in the real word? do not know.

Some cutting oils have high addtive and biocide levels, so we do 1 year on them PCMO up to 5 years.

Bought a 5qt bottle of QSAD last week from AZ. Did not check the date until yesterday. Manufactured in 2017. Not a problem for me but I didn’t think they would still have anything that old on their shelves.

I have an unopened bottle of 1955 Margaux in my wine cabinet that I found in my Father in Law's basement.
It's valued at around $1000.00. At least the resale VALUE seems to get better with time!

I don't have any vintage "blended in Germany" GC, though many current VAG Castrol is GC.

I do have a bottle of lawn equipment 10W30 G-Oil ( what horrendous marketing ) that is at least a decade old, if not more.
Any takers ? :)

I also see two hand-dipped paraffin candlesticks on my mantle - I don't think think they show an expiration date,
though they ARE looking a bit dusty.

I also recall Sodium Metal being stored in oil back in the H..S Chem class days. Very reactive stuff when exposed.

Therefore, I conclude, Motor oil is good indefinitely in the bottle :)

The obsolete API spec argument doesn't hold merit. If you use an oil that doesn't meet current spec WHICH IS CLEARLY PRINTED ON THE CONTAINER, that's on you, buddy.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
... Let's answer it this way, since this is my theory- with today's plastic jugs, automobiles as we know them will be gone long before that oil "goes bad".

I think the plastic containers will go "bad" before the oil does.

I know plastic can get brittle and crack over time, especially if not stored correctly.

I have had 2 plastic bottle failures.
One was a 1 year old 5 qt jug that had a small pinhole leak (just sitting under my workbench, made a bit of a mess).
The other was a 1 qt container, but it was stored under the hood for my top-off oil. It cracked when I was pulling it up from its storage spot under the hood, it was probably 5 years old, and had been under the hood most of that time (I refilled it since the bottle fit perfectly).

I tend to agree. I had foolishly kept a quart in my vehicle cargo area for emergencies. The heat and possibly collision with other objects in the tool box caused a leak and a mess. Don't do that...

Back