Motor Flush Compounds and Additives- Safe to Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SW99,I am curious where you got this idea from? At least it sounds better than the kerosene flush ideas I have heard of.

I have been curious if a person ran used oil through a bypass filter with a pump that would circulate the oil.Would it end up clean? I would add the odd quart of oil to refresh the additives.

ron- old timers have used this for years just like the kerosene. My take on this is that at least the ATF has lubrication properties and I have never seen a transmission that didn't have spotless metal inside. Even on nasty fluid. the internals looked excellent. It must do some cleaning even though ATF is generally low on detergents so to speak.

Getting ready to do a flush in the Civic at 148K. 3 quarts of ST ATF and a bottle of the motor medic flush for 15 minutes. I also run a new RA closeout $1.40 filter just so I can see what comes out.

Originally Posted By: sw99
ron- old timers have used this for years just like the kerosene. My take on this is that at least the ATF has lubrication properties and I have never seen a transmission that didn't have spotless metal inside. Even on nasty fluid. the internals looked excellent. It must do some cleaning even though ATF is generally low on detergents so to speak.

Your conclusion is not correct. It's not doing any cleaning because there is essentially nothing to clean in a transmission. It looks clean inside since there are no products of combustion to deal with, and the internal temperature is nothing like what is seen in a cylinder wall, cylinder head or near the rings.

The fluid can eventually look bad however, since it does experience thermal breakdown. It's not doing any cleaning though.

Correct or not, it seems to work well for me and I'll continue to do it with a quart of Motor Medic flush. I like the bright red fluid color so that I can see what crud comes out of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back