Most amount of miles on vehicle u bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Artem
1,380,000 miles on my Volvo Semi when I bought it. Does that count? Lol.

Is that a lot?

How many miles is the typical end of life for a semi?

2 years ago a bought a 99 Dodge Caravan because I was familiar with this type of vehicle and had many spare parts. It was rust free from British Columbia, but high mileage around 160,000 miles. At the time I questioned myself "what am I doing?". It's been trouble free for 2 years. I would do it again.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Is that a lot?

We don't usually keep them that long, but the Freightliner tractors at work are due for an engine rebuild at a million miles. The overall tractor goes on an on for much longer than that usually. Current day emissions compliant and ones with "automatic" transmission? Ugh.. lots of issues before 1m miles.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Is that a lot?

I've seen trucks with as much as 4,000,000 miles on them. A guy in the Winchester, VA area had a nice 1968 Kenworth that was ready to turn 4M when I talked to him on the radio. Our company usually gets rid of our trucks at 700K or so. No one wants to drive an old truck. All the new Peterbilts we're getting are automatic trans. Pretty nice unless pulling liquids.

The most mileage on a car I have bought was 106,000 miles on my 2000 Mustang GT. Still running strong w/o any engine/trans/rear repairs, but I would expect it to be reliable until at least 250K miles as I am picky about maintenance and we don't get much salt here.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
How would I know that?
You're not required to provide an answer. It's not a test.
smile.gif

In 1985 I purchased a 1971 chevelle with a small block and 155,000 miles. Didn't burn or leak oil much to my surprise, but need a bunch of other things. Typical $500 car at the time.

Yep!

Ducked asked, "How would I know that?"
ANSWER: By looking at the odometer at the time of purchase.

I bought an old Ford van where NONE of the numbers on the odometer were visible in the "window" because they had been picked at by a hook shaped tool.

Ran well, too!

In July I bought a 2003 GMC Envoy with 107k. Now at 111k, plan to trade it in at the end of the calendar year and get a new truck. Ball joints will need to be replaced around then probably, and even though exchanging the transmission fluid with synthetic helped a lot with the rough 1-2 shift I still don't totally trust that the transmission will last a long time. But I don't put many miles on and should be good for 10-11 months.

Dad bought a 2002 Nissan Frontier 4 cylinder truck with 228k miles on it last year. It now has 243k and is still running strong with the original engine and transmission.

I purchased a 1982 Nissan Stanza in 1987 with 90K on it.
Had it about a year and sold it.

Actually didn't buy it, was a "gift" from my dad that bought his old company car when it was retired. 1988 Buick Skylark with 110,000 miles. That little 2.0 L DOHC survived a 16 yo kid driving it, was reliable and had working A/C (a must in Dallas) Plus the blue velour interior was the bomb. Ran great until a tree jumped out and grabbed the front end, ins company totaled it car had about 189,000 at the time.

A couple of months ago I purchased a 2006 Scion xB with 131K. I'm at 134K and it runs like new.

I wanted a small self-propelled shipping box that got good gas mileage and so far, so good.

My wife started calling it an xBox and that's been shortened to the Box. It came with the TRD short shift that puts the shift knob right in the palm of her hand. It also came with upgraded struts/shocks and Hotchkiss sway bars.

It has the 1NZ-FE 1.5L Toyota engine which is as bulletproof as any engine can be. I guess I'll find out in a few years.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I've bought 3 528es with between 150k and 200k. The fact that a car has attained 150K+ miles is an indication of maintenance. Many wearing parts have already been replaced. A car approaching 100K is going to be needy

Not necessarily true. My last long lived car had regular maintenance and a ton of stuff went wrong in the 150K-225K mile range. It should have been sold before 150K. Trans/diff and engine were just fine...it was everything else from suspension, brakes, cooling, AC, windows, electronics, emissions, radio/CD player, etc.

For me, I've owned a couple dozen cars....never once buying one with more than 65K miles. Typically I shoot for well kept, clean cars, with 20-50K miles...and 5-7 years old.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A couple of months ago I purchased a 2006 Scion xB with 131K. I'm at 134K and it runs like new.

I wanted a small self-propelled shipping box that got good gas mileage and so far, so good.

My wife started calling it an xBox and that's been shortened to the Box. It came with the TRD short shift that puts the shift knob right in the palm of her hand. It also came with upgraded struts/shocks and Hotchkiss sway bars.

It has the 1NZ-FE 1.5L Toyota engine which is as bulletproof as any engine can be. I guess I'll find out in a few years.
Bet it lasts a while-my company had several xAs with the same engine that the FNGs beat the daylights out of-and they all made it to 200K before they got rid of them (replaced them with Transit Connects...
57.gif
).

4 years ago I bought a 1996 Honda Accord LX - 216k on it. It now has 234k on it. I just bought another 1996 Accord, this one is an EX. Miles are unknown, shows 134k - the ODO jammed. It drives like it has less than my other Accord. Love those old Accords!

Dutch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back