More on Cord Cutting - costs going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, be aware that the free streaming channels cut out portions of the shows and add extra commercials, not only Pluto but tubi and others.

My wife and I laughing, is cutting the cord to millennials canceling cable TV and signing up for Pay Streaming services? *LOL* good god Charlie Brown!
Laughable and then they complain costs going up?
Does anyone know how to be independent anymore?

If you pay for TV and are complaining about price, then stop whining and stop paying the price, like hello?
You want a Ferrari but only want to pay for a Mazda 3?

Hey everyone, its real simple, if you dont want to pay for TV go out an buy a 4K Roku player or 3 or 4 Roku players and cancel your pay TV, its that simple. We actually have 5 Roku players.
Sure, if you want, we pay for Hulu+ for $6 a month and Netflex for $13 a month, plus an attic antenna that feeds the 5 Tvs in our house with all Major Network stations and more, total cost = $20 a month is our TV bill.

We cant possibly come close to watching the HUNDREDS of channels, programs and movies available to us.
Just amazes me all the complaining instead of doing something about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
My wife and I laughing, is cutting the cord to millennials canceling cable TV and signing up for Pay Streaming services?

Cutting the cord is canceling landline phone service and going to cellular, or at least that's what I think when I hear the term.

Hey everyone, its real simple, if you dont want to pay for TV go out an buy a 4K Roku player or 3 or 4 Roku players and cancel your pay TV, its that simple.

Then how do you get internet and phone? Most services are bundled together for a better price.

I use PHILO for "basic cable " channels. Netflix and one HBO. Along with pluto , some other free app channels, and, of course, broadcast tv. Even with 100MB/S internet, Aim still $100+ less than the DISH I had before. Yes, alittle cumbersome to get used to , but its not $100+ cumbersome.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I use PHILO for "basic cable " channels. Netflix and one HBO. Along with pluto , some other free app channels, and, of course, broadcast tv. Even with 100MB/S internet, Aim still $100+ less than the DISH I had before. Yes, a little cumbersome to get used to , but its not $100+ cumbersome.

And for $20/month your Philo credentials allow you to log into the individual channel websites to stream all the available shows.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by BigD1
Pluto...free streaming TV. News channels, music channels, movie channels, and on demand movies too.

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/channel-lineup

Is that for real? Won't require you to pay for a subscription after an hour or a day like Hulu did?

$6.00 a month for Hulu (for those that dont know)isnt going to break the bank.

Again, get a Roku Player, hundreds of free choices. Yes Pluto too.

Good point alarmguy. I have ROKU and Pluto
smile.gif

Subscribed. Our 2 painful years with Comcast will be over soon and we'll be making a change. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Subscribed. Our 2 painful years with Comcast will be over soon and we'll be making a change. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Don't forget you can get Xfinity Mobile for $12 a month for 1gb of data. It's unlimited voice and texting. They're offering $250 off a phone right now, but I think the black friday deals from other vendors might be better as they might be offering up to $400 off a phone. You can only get it with a Comcast account though. They also use Verizon towers so reception should be good.

Pluto TV is real, but recently (maybe still in the process) of changing ownership.

Free with regeneration, but you can browse the movies and tv shows available on demand without signing up. https://www.imdb.com/tv/

Last edited:
Hulu w/ ads is six bucks. You chose not only to have Hulu with no ads, but Hulu LIVE. When you choose live TV, you're putting yourself right in the same territory, competition-wise, as big cable. What did you expect?

I pay $6 for basic Hulu w/ ads, $16 for Netflix UHD (4 screens watch/download), and Prime, which we don't really find many shows we like (Vikings being the best, IMO); however, we do PRIMEarily use it for the shipping benefits and music through our Echo speakers.

We're doing the free trial of Disney+ right now and may alternate between Netflix and Disney+ or keep both and get rid of Hulu when shows are over for the season.

//

We want high-speed internet, so I don't include that in the cost of viewership; that's $54.24 for 200/25 down/up (Mbps).

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Yup!
We recently got rid of Cable TV and have moved to watching through an antenna similar to what you've posted. And because we don't have a SHMARRRRT TV, we just bought a FireStick.

Smart TV's aren't very smart for long. I just bought a brand new Fire TV Stick 4K for $25 for our 2 year-old near-to-end 4K Samsung smart TV, because the Fire TV interface is SO much faster and easier to use than Samsung's crap. Also, our 4K Samsung TV has a limited LIVE TV selection, which is would randomly change to: we would be streaming one of the other mains and it would randomly switch us to some bootleg PBS-type stuff on its live channel...

I've got an older Fire TV dongle for our older 1080p Samsung TV, because it literally stopped supporting channels. THAT TV was supposed to be upgrade-able, meaning you could remove the old, modular package and replace it with a new one with more CPUs, etc. Come to find out, Samsung didn't realize that people don't want to pay so much for a CPU upgrade and a new remote, when the software is still crap and the TV itself can't get any better (e.g., local dimming, backlighting, form factor, etc.)

//

I would gladly buy a new TV (when I need to) that was NOT smart, even if it only saved me a few bucks, because I find the interface and shelf life to be abysmal compared to cheap, $25 dongles that you can buy with faster response, etc. every couple of years, if you really wanted to.

Where I am at Spectrum is offering a streaming service they claim to be comparable to Hulu Live or Hulu Plus whatever their highest package is around $50/mo. Spectrum streaming was supposed to be $25/mo. Not sure if that's for limited time like other cable packages to get you hooked then after 6 months they increase. Wish I had another good option for internet.

Pluto...free streaming TV. News channels, music channels, movie channels, and on demand movies too.

Is that for real? Won't require you to pay for a subscription after an hour or a day like Hulu did?

I watch Pluto TV on my Roku Ultra for free. They do have local commercials which pays for the content.

Sure, but they don't have your live local channels, which is what OP was asking about.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Sure, but they don't have your live local channels, which is what OP was asking about.

No problem, I got overpriced Verizon for that but apparently my package doesn't come with the Discovery or Science channels.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I use PHILO for "basic cable " channels. Netflix and one HBO. Along with pluto , some other free app channels, and, of course, broadcast tv. Even with 100MB/S internet, Aim still $100+ less than the DISH I had before. Yes, a little cumbersome to get used to , but its not $100+ cumbersome.

And for $20/month your Philo credentials allow you to log into the individual channel websites to stream all the available shows.

If I have a Roku Ultra and 100Mbps fiber for internet, how does Philo (at $20/mo) allow me to watch, HGTV or Fox News for example?

Pluto is okay. The way they suddenly cut in commercials is annoying. Commercial time almost equals show time.

I wonder how many people are Amazon Prime members but don't take advantage of their television service which is included? Lots of good programs there if you search without paying more.

More and more services are going the annoying commercial route to get you to sign up for premium service that is commercial free.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Propflux01 said:
I use...

If I have a Roku Ultra and 100Mbps fiber for internet, how does Philo (at $20/mo) allow me to watch, HGTV or Fox News for example?

If you want specific pay TV channels, then you must pay and your not a cord cutter because you do not have the desire to tell the channel to "stick it" and your not paying for them anymore! *L* Its really that simple. Your either in or out with the idea. what I am about to say is NOT directed at you or anyone in here, but we have choices in life, if you dont like the cost of something, have a backbone, stand up and dont pay for it, its that simple.
But these companies have you figured out, spineless, they know you will complain but you will give them your money anyway! *L* (not directed at anyone in here at all!)

Real cord cutting is about not paying for specific TV channels. Having the guts to say no more, not whine like a spineless glob.
All major network channels are free in better then pay TV quality.

Sure some subscription channels like Netflex, Hulu or Amazon or all three to most people are reasonable at a cost of $20 total payment a month for Hulu plus one other.
But that is it and with that, you get literally hundreds of channels, commercial free movies, and some really fantastic TV series that no human being can possibly come close to watching all the content.
We actually share our Netflex subscription with our daughter in another state and she shares her Amazon with us. Meaning we use each others logins.
Netflex and Amazon have some killer movies and TV series. Hulu good too at $6 a month.

Our choice for sure is Netflex and Hulu subscription, I think anyone would be happy with those two.

But I definitely agree Amazon has some really good stuff on it too and our daughter shares her login with us. So if you already have Prime, try Amazon / Hulu for a while and though I encourage Netflex you maybe happy with just the two.

(btw, I dont watch Pluto never got around to it, have no desire simply because of the hundreds of other stuff already available to us with Netflex, Hulu and our daughters Amazon prime., Never mind the hundreds of other stuff. But from what I read, its yet another option among countless options)
Still blows my mind that anyone complains about the cost of pay TV when there is no reason to pay. *LOL*

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

Philo offers 58 channels for $20/month, and the channels are all real, not 30 real channels and 28 shopping channels. It does have HGTV, but it does not have Fox News or any other news networks except for BBC News and Cheddar. It also does not have any sports channels, that is how they are able to keep the price so low. https://try.philo.com/
I have had Philo for over a year. I view it from cheap Roku boxes and I like it very much. The picture quality is excellent and it has been 100% reliable with zero buffering. The other things that I like about it is that I can use it on 3 different connections simultaneously, it comes with it's own cloud DVR, it has look back capability (for shows that I missed), and when I open a program/show it starts at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back