More Oil Filter Drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a few OEM Hyundai oil filters ordered from Amazon. 1st time of these filters via Amazon. I usually go and make the mad trip across town traffic to the dealer and buy them by the dozen, but decided to try a few by Amazon. I hope they are real EOMs and not some fake. Ordered a pack of drain plug gaskets too.
Anyway I got a box with the filters excluding 1 filter. Box also had tire pressure gauges etc. I though they cut me 1 filter short. There was plenty of room in the box. Few hours later the UPS truck showed up and I got a large box with 1 filter and a bunch of bubble packs. Makes no sense to me but this isn't the 1st time this has happened.

Just received today (Amazon) my 1st time ordering a jug of oil to see how that goes. Just a tiny bit seeped out of the cap wetting the top of the jug a a small oil spot in the box. So I'll have to re-think if I want to try that gain... dunno yet.

Getting air filters, cabin filters, belts etc. via Amazon has gone well so far. Well I just got a Bando serpentine belt I need to install on my vehicle so guess I better hold back until I see if it fits correctly - hoping Amazon thing saying it fits my vehicle is correct.

I still do local to (picked up a platinum AGM battery for wife's Lexus couple weeks ago plus lots of misc stuff since).

Sometimes it's a price thing, sometimes not a easy local find, sometimes cannot find local, sometimes I'm lazy and want it delivered to the door.

Now come holiday season I stay away from the mad rush and its all Amazon from the recliner.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
The owners of the local electrical and plumbing shop, a husband and wife team

Some small business owners are jerks who couldn't be employed by anyone else. There, I said it.
28.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The owners of the local electrical and plumbing shop, a husband and wife team

Some small business owners are jerks who couldn't be employed by anyone else. There, I said it.
28.gif

That's true!!! I grew up in an area where one guy owned all the stores for 6 decades...
Not much choice until he croaked. That was in the old days when you had not much choice.

I will say these FL-910s filters always are impressive looking from the outside.
I like the gloss white and this one is really clean and well made.
The inside gives me pause from others in the MC line.

If they can fix the minor issues I'm sure sales would double. The prices are outstanding.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
....Yeah I know it may be an Amazon trick but just 5 minutes ago I opened the Amazon box of dog food etc that just came in now. Ready for that red MC oil filter box which I do like. .....

Wow, that must have been a big Amazon drone delivering the 12 lbs+ package!
I really wish Amazon would just go back to using trucks like the good old days...
eek.gif

960-red-tape-keeps-amazon-from-flying-its-drones.jpg

That's a really nice practice....in theory.
I live out in the country, but my mailing address is a town of about 650. Yes, that's six hundred fifty people total. So everybody knows everybody.
The owners of the local electrical and plumbing shop, a husband and wife team, always tell people to shop and buy local. They've also told people that the warehouse stores sell cheaper items than what they sell.
A couple of years ago, I was walking into a Home Depot store (about an hour away from where I live) and out walks the owner/wife with a large shopping cart full of purchased items. This was in a city of about 150,000 people. I got in front of her filled cart and we chatted for a few minutes about small talk and just to say hi. Every now and then I would look down into her cart and see items that I know were going to be used on their job site, things that they could have ordered from their local suppliers, but they chose to buy them at Home Depot because they were cheaper.
Imagine the odds when we bumped into each other again about an hour later at a warehouse grocery store in the same city. This time she had her huge shopping cart filled to the brim with groceries that were to be used for her family, even though my local small town does have a grocery store that supplies probably everything that she had in her cart, except the home town grocery store's prices would have been higher.
I really, really wanted to ask her if these stores were included in her definition of buying local, but I bit my tongue.

I call that "armchair activism". It is all fine and dandy these people that claim to buy or advocate for "local only" purchase and in the end, they become hypocrites when that mantra is an inconvenience and they go big box store when it suits them.

People are going to go where their money spends the best plain and simple. "Mom and Pop" or local stores only mean anything to me when I need it now or they have a highly specialized product not normally stocked elsewhere.

Amazon has a fulfillment center in my state. Shopping them is shopping local.

Battery goes low in the smoke detector? Whip out my phone and in a few clicks its in my mailbox in a day or 2. Free shipping with Prime. Cheaper then I could get it in the store.

If I am buying in bulk and dont need it right away then RockAuto. If I am in a rush of just need a single item then its Amazon prime.

IF they could just get the grocery thing off the ground I would be happy. Then I would never have to deal with shopping again.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
...I call that "armchair activism". It is all fine and dandy these people that claim to buy or advocate for "local only" purchase and in the end, they become hypocrites when that mantra is an inconvenience and they go big box store when it suits them.

People are going to go where their money spends the best plain and simple. "Mom and Pop" or local stores only mean anything to me when I need it now or they have a highly specialized product not normally stocked elsewhere.

Well said Hoot. My thought too on the couple in Kruse's small town, hypocrites that talk out of both sides of their mouth. In other words, do as I say not as I do.

I do shop where my money "spends best."

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
...I call that "armchair activism". It is all fine and dandy these people that claim to buy or advocate for "local only" purchase and in the end, they become hypocrites when that mantra is an inconvenience and they go big box store when it suits them.

Well said Hoot. My thought too on the couple in Kruse's small town, hypocrites that talk out of both sides of their mouth. In other words, do as I say not as I do.

I like to shop at mom and pop stores right up until the point I feel I'm getting screwed. I'm not paying twice, sometimes more for the cost of certain items in a mom and pop store when I can buy it in a big box store for considerably less, which happens often with certain mom and pop stores. As I get older I realize that the extra money I can save shopping is better in my pocket.

In our small town we have a really nice, privately owned hardware store. It sells just about everything a HD or Lowes would sell. They tend to be pricier than both HD and Lowes (both are approximately 30 miles away). I'll use the local hardware store if the difference in gas makes it cheaper in the long run. Knowing their pricing on their in-store items, I assumed their lumber prices would be the same. I was surprised to learn, for the same grades of lumber, they match, or are a little cheaper than HD and Lowes. I don't assume anymore. I just price check with them before I make the 30 mile trek.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac

My thoughts exactly as well. You two got the point of Kruse's story. Sure, the couple can shop wherever they want, but at the same time, they don't need to be telling people they need to buy local (that is, they don't need to be telling people to refrain from shopping elsewhere) ... That fits the definition of a hypocrite.

I shop locally as much as possible, but I do shop elsewhere at times if the price difference is too great because I can't afford to do otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back