Moog isnt as good as they used to be

Moog's Problem Solver line with the sintered metal bearings should in theory be tougher than the OE sealed style which uses a smooth ball in a teflon retainer. However, that's ONLY if they get greased regularly which the majority of owners likely don't do. Also, if the vehicle is serviced by a mechanic, very good chance that gets forgotten as well.

Moog's Problem Solver line with the sintered metal bearings should in theory be tougher than the OE sealed style which uses a smooth ball in a teflon retainer. However, that's ONLY if they get greased regularly which the majority of owners likely don't do. Also, if the vehicle is serviced by a mechanic, very good chance that gets forgotten as well.
I'll be sure to keep my outer TRE's greased!

Moog, a reputable company in the past, unfortunately faced bankruptcy several years ago. During this period, Moog's assets were sold off, including the brand name itself. Interestingly, a Chinese company acquired the Moog name. To the best of my knowledge, the only similarity between the Moog of yesteryear and the present day Moog is merely the name.

To put it into perspective, it would be akin to Mobil 1 experiencing bankruptcy and Walmart subsequently purchasing the brand name to market their own line of Supertech oils.

Today I just replaced again sway bar bushings on the Elantra. I replaced them in April with Moog bushings and Hyundai OEM endlinks.

Not even 5 months later the sway bar is thumping. Endlinks are fine.
Replaced the moog bushings with Hyundai OEM bushings.

I'd say Moog is not at all what they used to be.

Look how wallowed out they are at 5 months, maybe 5k miles.

Note, the Moog bushings are split on the bottom, the OEM are split on the side.

IMG_20230924_133418680_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230924_154203656_HDR.jpg

Moog, a reputable company in the past, unfortunately faced bankruptcy several years ago. During this period, Moog's assets were sold off, including the brand name itself. Interestingly, a Chinese company acquired the Moog name. To the best of my knowledge, the only similarity between the Moog of yesteryear and the present day Moog is merely the name.

To put it into perspective, it would be akin to Mobil 1 experiencing bankruptcy and Walmart subsequently purchasing the brand name to market their own line of Supertech oils.
In my link below, I do not see any reference to a Chinese company buying the MOOG trade name. It has had a plethora of ownership/division changes over the past decade or two: Cooper, Federal Mogul, Tenneco, and in 2022 Apollo Global Management.

Last edited:
In my link below, I do not see any reference to a Chinese company buying the MOOG trade name. It has had a plethora of ownership/division changes over the past decade or two: Cooper, Federal Mogul, Tenneco, and in 2022 Apollo Global Management.

Yea, Moog is under Driv now - who is of course Carl Icahn. Same deal with Pep Boys(and why they push Driv parts now).

I was debating throwing Moog Problem Solvers on the Ranger - but decided to go with Delphi control arms/ball joints in the hopes they were Turkish made. Nope, made in China but still looked and felt nice.

I was debating throwing Moog Problem Solvers on the Ranger - but decided to go with Delphi control arms/ball joints in the hopes they were Turkish made.

I put Moogs on my Ranger and after 8 years it's holding up just fine since I grease them 2x per year (at every tire change). If I had to do it again I would probably go with a sealed design. Unless it's a severe duty application, the old school greaseable design really is un-necessary.

I think that there are a lot of products out there that are not as good as they used to be.... They use a old name that was one known for quality...for the name only...
Porta Cable and Delta to name a few.

Reactions: hrv
I have a 2010 for f150 crew. I replaced the contol arms at 75,000 miles. I like Moog parts for the most part. I purchesed 1 RK upper control arm and 1 CK control are for a test example as the passangers side Balls were sloppy and the drivers side was questionable as the struts I was doing as well because of a broken spring (another story). So the rk has no grease fitting but the ck did as the time. My understanding is the Ck has a "gusher" bearing is advertised as better than OEM. The OEM had no GF.

Now a few weeks ago at 137,000 miles the drivers side was loose and this was the rk with no G fitting. The passenger side with the GF is still taught. I just replaced it with another RK Moog arm. It came with a GF.

My point? The RK lasted as long as OEM the CK is lasting longer than OEM. Just what I expected, Just what was advertised. Perfect! I cannot as for anything more than that, No False advertizing. No feeling that I was taken for a fool, furthur, no feeling that I was "lyed" to with no recouse. Some items may be differant but its my experience with this one.

I have a 2010 for f150 crew. I replaced the contol arms at 75,000 miles. I like Moog parts for the most part. I purchesed 1 RK upper control arm and 1 CK control are for a test example as the passangers side Balls were sloppy and the drivers side was questionable as the struts I was doing as well because of a broken spring (another story). So the rk has no grease fitting but the ck did as the time. My understanding is the Ck has a "gusher" bearing is advertised as better than OEM. The OEM had no GF.

Now a few weeks ago at 137,000 miles the drivers side was loose and this was the rk with no G fitting. The passenger side with the GF is still taught. I just replaced it with another RK Moog arm. It came with a GF.

My point? The RK lasted as long as OEM the CK is lasting longer than OEM. Just what I expected, Just what was advertised. Perfect! I cannot as for anything more than that, No False advertizing. No feeling that I was taken for a fool, furthur, no feeling that I was "lyed" to with no recouse. Some items may be differant but its my experience with this one.
To a point. YES! MOST times OEM is only a small percentage higher in cost. Our time is valuable. Right? Although sometimes its not an option as its unavailable or untouchable in cost. If this ontrol arm wasnt as expected I would have had something to say. Most times it doesent help but most times if no information is passed on nothing gets changed. Be sure you have a good relationship with yor supplier. I call them by name and make sure they know mine. if I purchase local. It has helped me many of times. chck out the GENUINE parts line. the few times I ordered these parts on-lne they were a OEM repackage. Again most times they are the same price. BLA bla bla. Ok ill shut up now. Ok ok.

Back