Hellwig bushings vs Moog Thermoplastic bushings vs Energy Suspension polyurethane

I installed Hellwig sway bars and could not have been happier except for a clunk on the front bar. So then I researched the issue and the Hellwig bracket/bushing combination was faulty so then I turned to Energy Suspension and wow! What a difference! It was like my Navigator turned into a Navigator GT. Felt very sporty and I loved it but professionally it was not good. The ride quality had vastly diminished and I was feeling the road. I felt every bump and pothole. So my passengers would not desire feeling it.

So I turned to Moog thermoplastic bushings. Although it doesnt feel as sporty the ride quality was back. A good combination of ride quality and performance.

The Hellwig bushings in comparison were somewhere in between the Energy Suspension and the Moog.

To sum up...

Ride Comfort...Moog thermoplastic bushings...Moog seems the only one putting thermoplastics out there and it looks like a poly bushing but its different material.

Crank up the sport with more road feel...Hellwig polyurethane bushings that come with the bar

Maximum sport sacrificing ride quality...Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings

Technical note...I used the Moog bushings in the Energy Suspension brackets as Moog has limited brackets.

My ultimate goal was to make my Lincoln Navigator handle better. Going into turns there was lots of lean with the oem bars wasnt pleasant.

Yeah! Those small bushings make your 6000lb SUV ride and handle much different!

I have a front Hellwig bar on my F-350 and have just been lazy about putting the rear bar on. The front one was an absolute pain in the rear to install so I have been lazy on getting the rear done.

FWIW it rides so much better even with just the front bar. I also changed out the endlinks and the slight clunk in the front end I had dealt with by turning up the radio went away.

Can you link these Moog bushings? Are you talking about the bushings on the bar itself or the end links? The bushings on the bar itself shouldn't make near as much difference as the end links, are just pivot points.

I have the Moog thermoplastic on end links and was not very impressed with them, because they have no real give/rebound, and are hollow like they will shred apart once they start wearing a bit more. I am surprised they have lasted as long as they have, though the vehicle I put them on, doesn't get a lot of mileage.

Anyway, I wonder if you had overtorqued the polyurethane bushings and just couldn't do that with the moog because being thermoplastic they don't deform as much initially. At the same time it seems like rubber would be best for your needs, kind of why the oem used rubber in the first place, along with it being quiet by default.

Everyone has their own preference for ride control vs lean but remember that whichever bushing material you choose, you're only talking about an inch or so lean difference, in how much one bushing material compresses vs another, if all are torqued correctly. That extra lean can also be considered uncomfortable to riders... depends on the road, if really curvy then I'd rather have the extra control and if passengers are troubled then I (already would have if passengers are in the vehicle) slow down on curves.

An aging (at least enough that it needs these parts replaced) Navigator, being top heavy? Polyurethane bushing all the way if you want more control, rubber if you just want it back to stock.. and then are talking about every bushing in the suspension, and the cab to frame as well. It is always a trade off, replacing one or only a few pieces at a time. Heck even the seat cushions aren't as spongy after a while. It all adds up.

I am not talking about the endlinks. It is the actual bushings and Energy Suspension provides a custom fit bracket for the bushings. Overtorquing is possible for their endlink product but not the brackets.

I could feel a difference between the three bushings and when I searched this forum there was someone here who felt the same way. Also google.searches comfirmed my thoughts.

It wasnt a bad feeling but my opinion is too much road feel for what I wanted to do.

If someone is looking to sport up their vehicle without spending a lot of money I do think the Energy Suspension brackets/bushings will maximize the performance of their existing sway bar.

Im going to relent and go back to the Hellwig rear bushings (the Hellwig are softer versus Energy Suspension). As for the fronts Hellwig is sending me new bushings and if they look the same as the old bushings then I will reinstall the Energy Suspension.

Reason...I just cant stand the handling with these softy Moog bushings. For $13 I bought an 8 ounce tub of Energy Suspension lubrication. Works great to really max grease these things.

Back