Mobil1 Ann Prot 20K Road Trip-Test Results Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone can prove one way or the other if any certified oil is better or worse than another certified oil.
Engines will last a long time with any name oil.
It really boils down to choice.
For 99% of the cars on the road,any certified oil in the proper wt will work fine.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
"irv" is partly right, if you take the now-famous Blackstone wear rate study, done on a lot of engines, and they did compute a per-mile basis for iron wear. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php
....2. The Blackstone study only showed a slightly higher iron wear rate (see Subaru and Chevy engine wear rates in the document).

And from that link above, here is a very important quote from Blackstone that we need to pay attention to:
Quote:
Well, we’re no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another, that’s for sure.

Blackstone was afraid of teams of oil company lawyers bothering them, so they totally ignored the small differences in their own bar charts, and put that statement in there so they couldn't be accused of having brand-specific favoritism.

The reality is that Mobil1 regular-type is nothing special on wear rates, and you can do somewhere between 10% to 20% better on wear results using many other oils.
The data uses enough cases to make it statistically accurate enough.
Using 2 different engines was nice too. On both engine groups, Mobil1 was about the worst you could do.
Regular Mobil1 doesn't impress me much based on that data. I'm assuming Mobil1 EP and AP could be better.

Now is the 10%-20% worse wear expected from Mobil1-regular significant to most of us? Maybe. I certainly don't want more wear. I prefer less wear.

Now is the 10%-20% worse wear expected from Mobil1-regular significant to most of us? Maybe. I certainly don't want more wear. I prefer less wear.

You are assuming that UOA "wear rates" also translate to the real world, and I keep coming back to the fact that in the real world, engines aren't wearing out sooner with a steady diet of Mobil 1. If in fact Mobil 1 was really causing 10-20% more engine wear versus other oils, don't you think this would show up in people needing to rebuild their engines that much sooner? Do you know a single person who has worn out their engine and needed a rebuild lately? Using any oil for that matter, not just Mobil 1? I bet the only engine rebuilds happening these days are for people that completely forget to do oil changes at all, or those that are racing their cars on the track on a regular basis. But not your average person getting oil changes done on time, with any quality oil.

If we had no UOAs whatsoever to look at, what would the Mobil 1 haters on this site do? They'd have nothing to point their finger at. In fact they probably wouldn't even hate M1 at all, because that still seems to be their only supposed "proof" that it's not a good oil. But I still say, look at the UOAs on the first page and they look pretty good to me. But even if you do see the odd one with higher iron numbers, how do you know for sure this is going to translate into an early demise for this engine?

The UOA can be a useful tool when interpreted properly (and using it on a regular basis on an engine to see the trends), but in reality it's mostly just a fun hobby for a lot of us. I will admit that it's nice to have a really good report to brag to everyone on here, but even the ones that show higher numbers haven't resulted in those people needing rebuilds anytime soon, so sometimes I think a lot of on here worry about nothing.

You are assuming that UOA "wear rates" also translate to the real world, and I keep coming back to the fact that in the real world, engines aren't wearing out sooner with a steady diet of Mobil 1. If in fact Mobil 1 was really causing 10-20% more engine wear versus other oils, don't you think this would show up in people needing to rebuild their engines that much sooner? Do you know a single person who has worn out their engine and needed a rebuild lately? Using any oil for that matter, not just Mobil 1? I bet the only engine rebuilds happening these days are for people that completely forget to do oil changes at all, or those that are racing their cars on the track on a regular basis. But not your average person getting oil changes done on time, with any quality oil.

If we had no UOAs whatsoever to look at, what would the Mobil 1 haters on this site do? They'd have nothing to point their finger at. In fact they probably wouldn't even hate M1 at all, because that still seems to be their only supposed "proof" that it's not a good oil. But I still say, look at the UOAs on the first page and they look pretty good to me. But even if you do see the odd one with higher iron numbers, how do you know for sure this is going to translate into an early demise for this engine?

The UOA can be a useful tool when interpreted properly (and using it on a regular basis on an engine to see the trends), but in reality it's mostly just a fun hobby for a lot of us. I will admit that it's nice to have a really good report to brag to everyone on here, but even the ones that show higher numbers haven't resulted in those people needing rebuilds anytime soon, so sometimes I think a lot of on here worry about nothing.

I think you are spot on, Patman.

Last edited:

Blackstone was afraid of teams of oil company lawyers bothering them, so they totally ignored the small differences in their own bar charts, and put that statement in there so they couldn't be accused of having brand-specific favoritism.

The reality is that Mobil1 regular-type is nothing special on wear rates, and you can do somewhere between 10% to 20% better on wear results using many other oils.
The data uses enough cases to make it statistically accurate enough.
Using 2 different engines was nice too. On both engine groups, Mobil1 was about the worst you could do.
Regular Mobil1 doesn't impress me much based on that data. I'm assuming Mobil1 EP and AP could be better.

To quote myself and Tom:

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Folks still cling to this ideal that they can UOA themselves into the golden seat of oily goodness using a tool designed to determine lubricant suitability for continued use. That it can divine them the "best" oil for their engine and we'll ignore that formulations change, wear profiles change and the fact that you aren't even measuring just wear, as the Redline quote above clearly demonstrates and experts in the subject have stated many times.

It's the allure of the $20 full-on engine tear-down substitution. The fallacy (or perhaps in this case, fantasy) that a consumer-sampled bottom-of-the-ladder analysis with all of the controls, methods and statistical rigour of an ADHD squirrel on methamphetamine, provides valuable, statistically comparable information that one can then use to "fine tune" their oil selection.... In most cases, from a list of lubricants that all passed the exact same API, OEM and often ACEA test protocols.

+1 It's a trend monitoring tool, never intended to compare and rank different oils from random uncontrolled engines.

Motor oil performance is properly measured by carefully controlled and standardized engine and fleet tests, calibrated with known reference oils and operated under severe worse-case conditions. Results from these tests are then compared to standard specifications established by industry organizations and OEMs, and the oils are ranked into performance categories such as SN, GF-5, etc. for consumers to select from according to their engines and driving conditions.

We don't have access to such engine and fleet data, so being an oil forum driven by a "Quest for the Best" mentality, we tend to try to predict relative oil performance from the published physical properties and personal UOAs. Fun and entertaining, but not scientifically valid.

Our real objective is to not suffer an oil related engine problem during the time we intend to keep our vehicles. This cannot be predicted by splitting hairs in physical properties and UOA ppm comparisons. If it could the oil companies would not be spending millions of dollars running controlled and standardized engine tests.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Furthermore I prefer API certified oils that I know have been tested in standardized engines and passed all parameters. I use Mobil 1 mainly because their Extended Performance grade provides me comfort in annual oil changes, and also because of their use of expensive Groups III+, IV and V base oils, again a focus on performance over lower cost Group III only based synthetic oils. There are other oils that would meet my criteria, but I have no reason to change.

Originally Posted By: Redline
Unfortunately, oil analysis is not very good at distinguishing wear between different formulations. Emission spectroscopy has a particle size limit of 3 to 5 microns, which means that particles larger will not be detected. Unfortunately, most serious wear issues generate wear particles in the range of 5 - 15 microns. Oil analysis only measures about 15-20% of the particles in the oil, and changing form one formulation to another is likely to change the particle size profile. Usually formulations with more antiwear additive will more aggressively react with the metal surface and when rubbing occurs will produce smaller particles. Generally, more antiwear additives will give greater iron spectrochemical numbers, even though the total iron can be lower. There are other techniques such as ferrography, which looks at the wear particles under a microscope, but now we are talking about analysis many times more expensive than spectrochemical analysis. The oils with the better spectrochemical numbers will be much less chemically active on the metal surface, so they will be less able to handle more severe loads. There is always a trade-off between chemical wear and adhesive wear. Chemical wear is the very small particles and soluble metals which is identified in the spectrochemical analysis, while adhesive wear is many orders of magnitude greater than the chemical wear, but much is not identified in spectrochemical analysis. But if you were using spectrochemical analysis as a maintenance tool and started seeing a deviation over the baseline, then you would know something was wrong.

It is very difficult for an individual to be able to look at numbers which will conclusively determine the best formulation, you simply have to rely on the reputation of the marketer and whether you trust the marketer's technical expertise. With most of our formulations, we rely on major additive manufacturers to do the basic API sequence testing to determine criteria such as antiwear, dispersancy, cleanliness, etc. All the oil companies rely on the additive manufacturers to do the engine test work. We will take their basic package and add additional antiwear, friction modifiers, oxidation inhibitors or whatever can be safely modified to provide superior performance. Some of the bench tests such as 4-Ball can be useful, but a blind adherance to optimize with one single test will result a less-than-optimum performing lubricant. There are always trade-offs in engine oils, and we try to enhance antiwear and friction reduction at higher temperatures and loads, while trying to maintain performance at lower and normal loads and temperatures.

We've got a test not designed to provide wear data for the purpose of performance contrast being used, crudely, in that manner, despite statements made by experts in the field like Tom. The desire for UOA's to be this precision instrument for determining the "best" oil is so strong that it doesn't seem to matter how many times folks in the industry state it can't be used for that purpose, there are still those trying to drive that screw in with a hammer.

UOA’s can test for KV, Oxidation, Nitration, TBN, Fuel Dilution, TAN, Particle Count, Water, Soot, Wear Metals, Particle Quantifier Index. ICP is a common way to trend wear elements … but has the 10 micron cut mentioned.
Here in the industrial world taking a sample from a draining sump is a big no-no … you have a sample valve in a cooler line because that’s what is circulating in the engine. IMO, if taking draining sump samples - a good cleaning oil takes a hit in particles. As mentioned here often, API/SAE specs are common across brands and OEM’s set all kinds of standards and tests for lube properties … and the UOA is about the health of that certified lube and grade. Many of these approvals included Proof of Performance engine testing and tear downs … something seldom talked about here.

Check your owners manual and see how often your OEM calls for the UOA …

What some above are neglecting is the fact that the Blackstone study took hundreds of samples of each kind of oil, which averages out a lot of the effects that might throw you off if looking at only a few UOA's (as OVERKILL did above, low sample size).

To explain it to OVERKILL, because of his ranting about "accuracy": Of course ONE or few UOA's are going to fall somewhere on the bell curve. Its obvious to engineers like myself that statistical measurement variations occur. Averaging many UOA's cancels out the fears many have about "accuracy".

No Mobil1 fanboy or hater here. Facts are just facts. A little more iron wear is common with Mobil1, plain and simple, averaged over many UOAs.
The 10%-20% more iron wear you get (on average) with Mobil1 doesn't hurt engines visibly.

That is the key here: It doesn't mean Mobil1 is destroying engines, of course not, thats obvious and I don't know why anyone would even bring that up. I certainly never said the 10%-20% is beyond anything but 'small'.

What it DOES mean is that there is absolutely nothing SPECIAL about Mobil1 regarding wear rates.
(Again, as I already said before, Mobil1 Extended Performance and Mobil1 Annual Protection might give better results than silver-bottle plain Mobil1.)

So don't twist yourselves into any philosophical pretzels or arguments based on very small sample sizes and effects that are actually common across brands.

Wear rates are one thing, yet ringland cleanliness is the real test. That one we can't see.

You do know that given the limited range of particle sizes detected in these UOAs that you can't determine what you call "wear rates" from them, don't you?
I'm assuming that you also know that UOAs are mainly a measure of the condition of the oil and not a measure of engine wear.
Since you appear to pretend to some expertise in your posts, I'll also assume that you know that you that UOAs are useful in measuring wear only on a trending basis and that a single UOA from any engine that used any oil tells us nothing at all about wear and averaging the averages is not a valid statistical tool.
You think that the engine of the car we don't see in the sig you don't have will wear more slowly using PP?
Great, then do that.
Thing is that Mobil warrants its oils for 10K, 15K and even 20K of service whiles SOPUS does no such thing.

What some above are neglecting is the fact that the Blackstone study took hundreds of samples of each kind of oil, which averages out a lot of the effects that might throw you off if looking at only a few UOA's (as OVERKILL did above, low sample size).

To explain it to OVERKILL, because of his ranting about "accuracy": Of course ONE or few UOA's are going to fall somewhere on the bell curve. Its obvious to engineers like myself that statistical measurement variations occur. Averaging many UOA's cancels out the fears many have about "accuracy".

I absolutely love it when somebody doesn't wrap their head around what somebody else is presenting and then talks down to them by presenting some alternative positioning on the issue as "explaining it" like the individual in question is somehow hindered and needs a coddled lesson in comprehension.

It isn't about the volume of UOA's that is the issue regarding accuracy, it is the tool itself, which isn't designed to be used for the purpose you are endeavouring to legitimize it for. I can only assume that this is the reason you entirely ignored the quote from Redline featured in my post which explains why, in detail.

No Mobil1 fanboy or hater here. Facts are just facts. A little more iron wear is common with Mobil1, plain and simple, averaged over many UOAs.

Except when they aren't facts but rather personal interpretations of data derived from a tool not meant to be used for the purpose ascribed, despite it being explained why this perceived "wear" may not actually BE wear at all, but you don't know, because you aren't using a tool designed for that purpose.

Have a great weekend.

I absolutely love it when somebody doesn't wrap their head around what somebody else is presenting and then talks down to them by presenting some alternative positioning on the issue as "explaining it" like the individual in question is somehow hindered and needs a coddled lesson in comprehension.

You're very insecure. I am disagreeing with you. Try not to get emotional about that. Just because you're not educated in the art & science of statistics, or engineering, or any mechanical tech that I can tell, doesn't mean you can't comprehend this.

It isn't about the volume of UOA's that is the issue regarding accuracy, it is the tool itself,

Actually, it is about the sample size. The "tool" you refer to is measurement, and it is what it is.

Have a nice weekend.

You're very insecure.

Hardly. I just don't like being talked down to. Perhaps you need to work on your approach.

I am disagreeing with you.
Oh, I'm well aware that you are disagreeing, it's the manner in which you approached it, seemingly not digesting half of the information presented and then going into lecture mode. But here you are, instead of addressing that information, which I brought up yet again, continuing to focus on me.

Try not to get emotional about that. Just because you're not educated in the art & science of statistics, or engineering, or any mechanical tech that I can tell, doesn't mean you can't comprehend this.

And here you are assuming my background hoping to cast doubt in an attempt to bolster your credibility. Seems my evaluation of your attitude was spot-on.

Actually, it is about the sample size. The "tool" you refer to is measurement, and it is what it is.

The tool isn't designed to be used as you are attempting. Regardless of the sample size, you aren't going to glean anything worthy of a meaningful conclusion from data that isn't suitable for what you are applying it to, I again, for the third time, point you to the quote I provided from Redline that clearly spells out why this is folly. You can continue to deflect and try to paint me as a clueless clown if you so choose, but I'd really prefer, as I am sure would the rest of the board, if you took the time to actually read that, reflect on it, and consider why I am stating I believe it invalidates what you are attempting to portray here.

Unfortunately, we've lost quite a few members over the years that were experts in the topics we are discussing because of exchanges that took place in the manner in which this one has. One of those losses was quite recent as I'm sure you can recall. This board is worse off when we lose those people. The depth of the pool of knowledge seems to keep getting shallower and those that are still here become less inclined to share what they know.

Come on guys, this thread is out of hand. We can disagree and still keep it civil. I don't know half as much as either of you, so just share what you know, along with your opinions, but keep it cool, please, so that I can sort through it and learn.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I don't think anyone can prove one way or the other if any certified oil is better or worse than another certified oil.
For 99% of the cars on the road,any certified oil in the proper wt will work fine.

This. My Accord has used dealership bulk oil changes for 575000 miles and ive used a bunch of different oils for changes and topoff and it doesnt care. Just keeps running and running.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

This. My Accord has used dealership bulk oil changes for 575000 miles and ive used a bunch of different oils for changes and topoff and it doesnt care. Just keeps running and running.

That kind of mileage is super impressive. Can I ask what has been over the years in terms of maintenance? Any major failures?

I will admit that it's nice to have a really good report to brag to everyone on here

Wow, really? How old are you? UOAs are meant to be trended. It's not a [censored] contest about who has the lowest wear metals on ONE uoa!

Originally Posted By: deven
I will admit that it's nice to have a really good report to brag to everyone on here

Wow, really? How old are you? UOAs are meant to be trended. It's not a [censored] contest about who has the lowest wear metals on ONE uoa!

There is no need to be insulting here, I'm sure I'm not alone in my thoughts here. Even if UOAs aren't a perfect indicator of engine wear, everyone loves to get a good report. It doesn't mean I'm immature, and frankly I don't care for your tone.

thumbsup2.gif

Should be the last words in this thread. Doubt it though.

Last edited:
And you would be rightfully doing so. Because there are 2 logical fallacies there.

One is the argument from ignorance.

The other is to not use the “equally” qualifier in front of the word “certified”.

FWIW the ACEA specs for M1 and Penn 5W30 are NOT equal.

IMO, Mobil 1 has always been and still is one of the best oils on the market.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-performance

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-modern-engines

The areas I believe M1 has always excelled in are:

1. Superior oxidation resistance
2. Turbo charger deposit resistance
3. Always ahead and up to date on latest specifications (7 years a head on SN Plus while still maintaining longer drain oils; as well as actually meet SA requirements for dexos 1 Gen 2)

Even if it was provable that M1 showed 10-20% higher Fe wear rates, I'd still put it at the top.

The SEQ IVA is the staple industry wear test, and almost all oils fall well below the 90 mircon limit.

In the following study, oil filters of different filtration efficiencies were used. The better filter reduced the concentration of wear metals >= 5 microns in size by around 92%, compared to the worse filter. Yet the UOA wear metal levels were reduced by only around 20%, due to the emission spectographic method’s very limited ability to accurately detect particles > 5 microns in size. See page 12:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.404.7165&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back