Mobil1 Ann Prot 20K Road Trip-Test Results Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
He and my late Grandfather were truckers before WWII . So they owned a fair number of trucks , in their careers .

Uncle had more than one GMC or Chevy truck with the 366 CI Chevy engine . And the engines prior to the 366 .

I remember Uncle telling me about a GMC that would run like a scalded ape . But it would only make a few trips to the coast before it had to go into the shop ( valve problems , I think ) .

Mechanic finally figured out it had a high altitude ( Pontiac , I think ) high compression heads .

Uncle loved the performance but could not stand the repair costs . Mechanic installed " regular " heads . Lost the added performance , but gained the reliability / durability .

Another thing I remember . When Uncle went out to start the truck in the winter , he had a block of wood he put on the accelerator petal . He would set the RPM's to about 1200 & go back into the house and drink another cup of coffee or what ever . 15 - 30 minutes latter he would go back to the truck and be on his waw . And the engine was warmed up and oil flowing properly before he got on the highway and went WOT .

I am sure he was sure this produced less wear on the engine .

Hey 4wd those Mobil 1 AP 5 qt containers have not been selling rather they been stolen by the night shift crew....
lol.gif

At my Wally world they are collecting dust very nicely.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey 4wd those Mobil 1 AP 5 qt containers have not been selling rather they been stolen by the night shift crew....
lol.gif

At my Wally world they are collecting dust very nicely.

It's collecting dust at the Walmart stores around here too. They must have a lot of money tied up in this product to let it die, or someone high up is still hoping it takes off and won't admit they screwed up. They should have asked Bitog while it was on the drawing board what we thought. LOL

Very, very true indeed demarpaint. They could have polled the members here about pricing of the oil... That would been a smart idea. Because them cats would have found out that $30 plus is not going to work with a high majority of people.

Very, very true indeed demarpaint. They could have polled the members here about pricing of the oil... That would been a smart idea. Because them cats would have found out that $30 plus is not going to work with a high majority of people.

Had they polled us, and actually listened, they would have canned the idea.
wink.gif

It’s the lack of perceived value for its target market. Vehicles under warranty are going to get the owner manual oci or shorter from the BITOG/DIY crowd. Very few people are willing to risk their warranty. And once out of warranty, you only get 5k more oci for the $15 premium vs M1 EP. In a vehicle that uses absolutely no oil I might run it, but most vehicles will need a qt in 20k

They didn’t think this one through

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Just your usual EM biased test with absolutely NO real value. No Control, nothing and they are using their own labs to do the sampling! LMAO! Am I supposed to believe this?

No thanks Mobil, I don't believe your false hype and never will, there are so much better oils out there for the same price point or less!

Speaking of bias.

Ain't that the truth. He's like the pot callin the kettle black.
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
A friend has been using EP at 15K OCI for years and just put AP in his 2012 Dodge. He will run that car for many more years knowing him.

“....Another thing I remember . When Uncle went out to start the truck in the winter , he had a block of wood he put on the accelerator petal . He would set the RPM's to about 1200 & go back into the house and drink another cup of coffee or what ever . 15 - 30 minutes latter he would go back to the truck and be on his way......”

My dad di the same thing during the winters in Eastern Oregon on his car. A piece of wood cut just so with a notch.

I'm not looking to go 20k, but if it is better oil, I'll run it for whatever OCI I want. Some of the data on 0w20 AP is better than EP. As for the cost? I don't care that much when I may be doing 1 oil change every 3/4 of a year, or so on a $50,000 vehicle.

Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend has been using EP at 15K OCI for years and just put AP in his 2012 Dodge. He will run that car for many more years knowing him.

And it will likely do very well, even with all of Exxon Mobil's alleged lying and cheating.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I'm not looking to go 20k, but if it is better oil, I'll run it for whatever OCI I want. Some of the data on 0w20 AP is better than EP. As for the cost? I don't care that much when I may be doing 1 oil change every 3/4 of a year, or so on a $50,000 vehicle.

True for most people, the better and/or more expensive the engine, the more premium the engine oil should be.
For example: One buys a new or new-ish Corvette. High $$. They won't put in SuperTech Synthetic, they would go for M1 Annual Protection or Ravenol DXG (dexos1 PAO+POE oil).

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
True for most people, the better and/or more expensive the engine, the more premium the engine oil should be.
For example: One buys a new or new-ish Corvette. High $$. They won't put in SuperTech Synthetic, they would go for M1 Annual Protection or Ravenol DXG (dexos1 PAO+POE oil).

Hopefully if they love their Vette and want a quality synthetic they'll go with some Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum and not M1!

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
It’s the lack of perceived value for its target market. Vehicles under warranty are going to get the owner manual oci or shorter from the BITOG/DIY crowd. Very few people are willing to risk their warranty. And once out of warranty, you only get 5k more oci for the $15 premium vs M1 EP. In a vehicle that uses absolutely no oil I might run it, but most vehicles will need a qt in 20k

My thoughts exactly. M1 EP sells for $24 per jug and is guaranteed for 15k. They are axing people to pay about 70% more money for 33% more miles (protection).
How does Mobil not see this false economy?

Maybe someone remembers the Letterman "funny ads" segment where a store ad showed two varieties of bologna on sale: tasty and extra tasty. Not much difference between them! The tasty stuff is good enough for me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: DGXR

My thoughts exactly. M1 EP sells for $24 per jug and is guaranteed for 15k. They are axing people to pay about 70% more money for 33% more miles (protection).

This seems illegal to me.
23.gif

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Hopefully if they love their Vette and want a quality synthetic they'll go with some Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum and not M1!

First of all, there are a lot of Corvettes out there on the road that have run nothing but the basic Mobil 1 5w30 and they have no problems. And for those (like myself) that want something with a bit higher HTHS, we now have the option of the new Mobil 1 0w40 ESP (or in my case I'm running the 5w30 ESP)

This hatred of Mobil 1 is silly, it IS just as quality of a synthetic as Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum is.

Originally Posted By: Patman
First of all, there are a lot of Corvettes out there on the road that have run nothing but the basic Mobil 1 5w30 and they have no problems.

My Corvette example of why they might not choose SuperTech dexos1 Gen2 5w30 was just notional. In reality, they would probably do OK on SuperTech. Its just not considered to be a "great" choice for an expensive engine. ... Though, you saying they just put in M1 regular-flavor 5w30 is usually because they don't know about or care enough to get the best M1 flavor available. Many Corvette owners are car enthusiasts who often ask "Can I do better than regular M1?", and the answer is yes, either M1 EP or M1 AP would be a step up. Choosing Ravenol DXG would require more knowledge of base oils and things like tungsten and moly, which most don't know about.

My last run of M1 EP was 12 mo/18k with 1/2 qt added, could have pushed to 20k easy. The AP is a solution looking for a problem. Unless their marketing strategy is to appeal to the crowd that thinks something marginally better is worth the diminishing return for a 32% premium.

I’m starting to think it was meant to increase sales of EP … that’s what I see coming off the shelves right next to it ... eventually they might clearance or return to re bottle as EP … especially what is still in large tanks … could they?
This trip may well be the last attempt …
As to the warranty comments … Google average age of vehicles in the USA …

Last edited:

Considering that my local Jiffy Lube has raised the price of a synthetic oil change (no rotation, oil change only) to $89, Mobil's proposition of $40 for 5-qt of AP and $10 for a Mobil 1 oil filter is still reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back