Mobil 1 TDT Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OEM is 5000 miles normal duty and 2500 miles severe duty. My MB is the 2.5L Turbocharged engine.

You are right, it might be worth is to do a UOA at 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: slammds15
I go 10k every oil change, the oil comes out fairly clean which I find rather odd. I run a 6.0l and it gets pounded everyday.
My 6.0 gets pounded every day too, my oil looks spotless too, but I'd be concerned w/shearing myself. I change it every 5K, but I'm also NOT paying for it!

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
The OEM is 5000 miles normal duty and 2500 miles severe duty. My MB is the 2.5L Turbocharged engine.

You are right, it might be worth is to do a UOA at 7500 miles.
I had a chance to pick up one of those cheap ($2000-'92 300D), but it needed the A/C evaporator & some rust work done-it ran rings around my '82, though.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule

I use it in my 1998 12 valve Cummins Dodge. I'm still using up my stash of CI-4+. I change it at 7500mi and have been getting good UOA from Blackstone.
At Walmarts in NC it's $22.00 a jug.

Is that for 5 quarts?

If so, and I change my Delvac 15w40 at 5000 miles now in my MB, I break even changing M1 TDT at 7714 miles, using one oil filter.
48.gif
49.gif

Do you think TDT will be ok in an old MB diesel engine for that long?

Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT comes in 4qt jugs.

As far as how long to run your oil the way I would find out is to have a UOA done at 5000mi and see what the lab says.

I have a 1987 MB 190D turbo with 261,000mi but I've never done a UOA on it. I usually do 5000mi OCI with dino oil. I've been thinking of doing a UOA to see how its doing. It holds 8qts, how many qts does your MB hold?

I've been running Mobil 5w40 products since the first oil change on my Golf, with a 10k-mile OCI. The local Walmart doesn't carry it, but O'Reilly's does.

How long you can run between oil changes may depend on the sump capacity.

I would recommend the M1 5w40 over their 0w40 in any application, gas or diesel.

Those ol MB Diesels hold alot of oil and they need to because they fill the oil with soot worst than any diesel I have ever seen. (Cat,Cummins,Detroit,Kubota,GM)
After 5000mi the oil draining out of my 190D looks like a black velvet cream. However, other than soot contamination they don't seem to be to hard on oil.

Those ol MB Diesels hold alot of oil and they need to because they fill the oil with soot worst than any diesel I have ever seen. (Cat,Cummins,Detroit,Kubota,GM)
After 5000mi the oil draining out of my 190D looks like a black velvet cream. However, other than soot contamination they don't seem to be to hard on oil.

That's a normally-aspirated engine, right? No turbo? So it must not be getting enough air for complete and efficient combustion, so the result is more soot than in properly-tuned turbo models.

You can adjust the fueling in any of the engines you listed, to produce more exhaust smoke and put more soot in the oil. But with the 190 you might not have any choice. (Note: this is mostly conjecture.)

You should have your used oil analyzed for soot and also do a compression test. Your rings may be worn and letting a lot of soot blow by into the crankcase.
High soot in the oil will cause the rings to wear even faster.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

That's a normally-aspirated engine, right? No turbo? So it must not be getting enough air for complete and efficient combustion, so the result is more soot than in properly-tuned turbo models.

You can adjust the fueling in any of the engines you listed, to produce more exhaust smoke and put more soot in the oil. But with the 190 you might not have any choice. (Note: this is mostly conjecture.)

It has a turbo, and doesn't smoke from incomplete combustion. There is nothing wrong with it, those old MB diesels just put alot of soot in the oil. Never seen one that didn't and they still run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
You should have your used oil analyzed for soot and also do a compression test. Your rings may be worn and letting a lot of soot blow by into the crankcase.
High soot in the oil will cause the rings to wear even faster.

Charlie

I believe the rings are fine. I don't have to add any make up oil between changes. Also, I put glow plugs in it not long ago and checked the compression for the fun of it, it had 550+psi in each cyl. You guys are spoiled by the newer diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back