Mobil 1 from Walmart-different from anywhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a member for the last 11 years and you ask this question? I would expect it of a newbie, not for someone that has been around for this long.

I wish Sam's club would sell a 10-quarts jug of M1 or PUP at a discount. Give the consumer the volume discount they want.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
I have a sure example of walmart cheapening their electronics. ...
panasonic had three models that were identical on the outside and feature set. One had a 800U suffix one had a 80u suffix and walmart had a 8u suffix.

They "CAN" change level of quality - but they have to change the packaging, part number, or UPC code to match.

Otherwise, we wouldn't have "walmart spec electronics" (well documented in other cases as well as this one above) or Winchester "White Box" ammo.

Walmart could sell a "different mobil 1" - but it would/must have a different UPC code (and different packaging)

Sold there is used there ~ has to meet OEM specs unlike the oils worshiped by the wise guys with the SOS posted on this site

Getting back to engine oils, it would be costly to change the blending ratios for different retail outlets.

So that Internet myth is totally ridiculous.

actually little known fact walmart oil is actually used oil repackaged and dyed to make it look like it's new. I know it looks clear and clean but the reason why you can see through it is because there's little cameras setup on the rear of it and a tiny screens setup in front of it so it gives you illusion of being clear but it's not actually clear.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Trust me there would be no faster way for Mobil to hurt their brand!

+1

Brand perception is big but how many people know that the Sony tv or the Honda lawnmower they got a great deal on in the big box store is not made by that brand?

Originally Posted By: izz
actually little known fact walmart oil is actually used oil repackaged and dyed to make it look like it's new. I know it looks clear and clean but the reason why you can see through it is because there's little cameras setup on the rear of it and a tiny screens setup in front of it so it gives you illusion of being clear but it's not actually clear.

296ec05b18047d8fe017677c23496f075081d2025ae53439dd802ee7e66e0107.jpg

Many years ago, a similar claim was passed around about
Champion spark plugs sold at discount stores.
Started by auto parts stores I'm sure.
Nothing to it then, nothing to it now.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
5 Quart jugs were Walmart exclusives a few years ago,complete with the Walmart logo on them. Did some kind've patent eventually run out?

It was the 5.1 qt jugs that Walmart sold that were a Walmart exclusive, had the Walmart logo on it and said to return used oil to Walmart.

I know Valvoline jugs had that on them, not sure if others did or not.

I had Mobil 1 Delvac ESP and it meets the MB 229.31 spec's no different than what I pay at parts store except $20.xx a gallon rather than $35+/-

Kragens spark plugs are seconds...
It's a plot to overthrow the government...
Wally is pretty energetic to go to all that trouble...
Wow!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
...Honda lawnmower they got a great deal on in the big box store is not made by that brand?

You keep saying that, but it isn’t true, and this is at least the third time you have been told that it isn’t true.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Walmart could sell a "different mobil 1" - but it would/must have a different UPC code (and different packaging)

Yes. I know Walmart in the States used to have different package sizing, but the same product inside. Our Walmarts do that on occasion, too, with package sizing, which makes price matching problematic, of course.

Walmart buys bulk oil from a huge refinery in China, has it shipped to North America in huge tankers, has it packaged in different color containers (suggesting they are different brands) in a huge facility on the west coast in a double top secret, G-2 classified location. The savings are huge, the marketing is huge, the profits are huge.
Buy your oil from a reputable independent auto parts store, not a huge retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back