Mobil 1 ATF being discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, their official Twitter account replied:

"Hi David. Mobil 1™ Synthetic ATF will continue to be sold at select retailers."

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
FWIW, their official Twitter account replied:

"Hi David. Mobil 1™ Synthetic ATF will continue to be sold at select retailers."

I'm waiting for the Walmart $22.88 rollback!

Do any Walmarts carry M1 ATF? None do around where I live. I have to pay $10+ per quart at Autozone or Advance Auto.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Do any Walmarts carry M1 ATF? None do around where I live. I have to pay $10+ per quart at Autozone or Advance Auto.

I have never seen M1 ATF at WM.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
M1 ATF isn't that great anymore, given the competition. M1 ATF no longer meets some very important standards in modern transmissions.

There are better options out there, such as PP ATF, Castrol Full Synthetic, Maxlife, and all the other synthetic LV ATF's. The new formulas are backwards-compatible with the older specs with no problems
smile.gif

Please explain what "very important standards".

all the modern ones, like Dexron VI, Mercon LV, Honda DW1, Toyota WS aka JWS 3324, Nissan-Matic J/K/S, SPH-IV, that kind of thing
smile.gif

I think your confused about this. Many here believe the better ATFs focus in on a very auto manufacturers requirements. Saying a given ATF meets two dozen different specs doesn't mean it's a superior fluid.

Our family has a 1994 Honda Passport and a 2001 Isuzu Trooper, they call for Dexron IIE and Dexron III. I like the fact that Mobil 1 ATF is still higher viscosity than a lot of the new specs being created now. I hope they kept it that way for a while instead of reformulating it to meet the lower viscosity specs for the newer cars and trucks.
The way it is now matches closer to the viscosity when our vehicles were designed and built. Then there is the benefit of the synthetic basestocks.

With our vehicles age and mileage, I don't think I want to try and experiment with a lower viscosity ATF in them, so, Mobil 1 ATF is fine just the way it is, to me.
We are using it in the power steering as well, since it calls for Dexron atf.
Our dad's 2006 Tundra power steering calls for Dexron III, so we are putting it in there too.

Last edited:
Exactly. My 2002 Tacoma calls for DexIII and Mobil 1 ATF is all it has ever gotten both in the transmission and in the power steering system.

I think the M1 ATF is a fine product, I just wish it met spec for my wife's Xterra. I used MaxLife in the transmission and transfer case, but M1 in front and rear diffs. I doubt M1 is going to stop making this ATF, but they could be reformulating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back