Mobil 1 AP 5w-30--what happened? Can't find any.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Originally Posted by bbhero
Hmmmm opposite what he was told...

Ohh well...

Bad idea on their part to try and sell $50 five qt container of oil at Walmart....

I have said for a long time now... Anything over $24.97 was a tough sell in there. And going two times as much was really never going to sell.

I'm in very expensive New Yorkistan about an hour and a half north of NYC. Normal EP is 28.99 5qt and about every quarter there are sale sod EP for $24.99. That's when I stock up. Is it really $50?? by you? Maybe confusing EP with AP?

I think he was referring to AP. In reference to why it's disappearing.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Originally Posted by BISCUT
Hmmmm opposite what he was told...

Ohh well...

Bad idea on their part to try and sell $50 five qt container of oil at Walmart....

I have said for a long time now... Anything over $24.97 was a tough sell in there. And going two times as much was really never going to sell.

I'm in very expensive New Yorkistan about an hour and a half north of NYC. Normal EP is 28.99 5qt and about every quarter there are sale sod EP for $24.99. That's when I stock up. Is it really $50?? by you? Maybe confusing EP with AP?

I think he was referring to AP. In reference to why it's disappearing.

I am sure he was as well.

Marketing it as simply giving you 5K more miles for double the price was a bad move.

Thats the classic problem with mileage or time based marketing.

UD

Originally Posted by 4WD
BB: You having an optical contusion again ? ðŸ§

You world championship buddies at Mobil 1 must have had a stuck on stupid spell if they ever thought $49 oil would sell at Wally world
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
BB: You having an optical contusion again ? ðŸ§

You world championship buddies at Mobil 1 must have had a stuck on stupid spell if they ever thought $49 oil would sell at Wally world
lol.gif

I'll say 50 bucks for a jug of lube at The Great Wall is even more ludicrous than the 39 buck jug of RP at The Great Wall!
laugh.gif
I never saw a single jug of AP missing from the shelves. Stock never shrunk.

Originally Posted by phoneman91
I am unable to find any M1 AP 5w-30 in the stores. Especially in the 5 Quart bottle. I am able to find it on the internet--but only at high price.

Has it be discontinued? Anyone knows of a retailer that offers it at a reasonable price?

Walmart and Pep boys are the last stores to carry it. Autozone Advance ALL GONE !! O'reilly's never carried it for some reason ??

Try and find a Pep Boys who has some and ask if they can price match to walmart

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84
Originally Posted by phoneman91
I am unable to find any M1 AP 5w-30 in the stores. Especially in the 5 Quart bottle. I am able to find it on the internet--but only at high price.

Has it be discontinued? Anyone knows of a retailer that offers it at a reasonable price?

Walmart and Pep boys are the last stores to carry it. Autozone Advance ALL GONE !! O'reilly's never carried it for some reason ??

Try and find a Pep Boys who has some and ask if they can price match to walmart

Dave

I think they still have some on the shelf at Midwestern Wal-Mart... I mean Meijer, still overpriced though, I think it was around $40, Wally kills them on oil prices.

I am Still seeing 0W-20 and 5W-20 (no 5W-30) Mobil Annual protection 5qt jugs for $17 a jug at Walmart

Rotella Gas truck is also $17 for 5 qt jug

(I'll bet the formulas are similar!)

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I'll say 50 bucks for a jug of lube at The Great Wall is even more ludicrous than the 39 buck jug of RP at The Great Wall!
laugh.gif

I volunteered my time and my handled dusting feathers on visits to my nearest Walmart. Once a month, I would walk down the automotive aisle there and dust-off the Mobil-1 AP jugs that never sold.

That extra 5k mile security blanket required more ingredients, hence the higher $. Mobil finds itself in the middle between the Amsoils and Shell/Valvolines.

For me, I think while the product had "advantages" it did not have enough of them to justify the much higher cost - much like the boutiques. Consider that yes you could go 20,000 miles but it still was limited to 1 year. This compares to the much lower cost EP line which goes 15,000 miles with the same one-year constraint. So unless you were in the sweet spot of driving the additional 5,000 miles in that year, and you desperately hated to change oil, what advantage did the product bring? You might as well just buy another container of EP and go another 15,000 miles and another year, effectively getting two years and 30,000 miles for the same cost.

I don't think ExxonMobil marketed the superior characteristics of the oil itself enough to make geeky people buy the oil on that aspect alone. It takes a lot of awesomeness to spend double for something.

Originally Posted by kschachn
For me, I think while the product had "advantages" it did not have enough of them to justify the much higher cost - much like the boutiques. Consider that yes you could go 20,000 miles but it still was limited to 1 year. This compares to the much lower cost EP line which goes 15,000 miles with the same one-year constraint. So unless you were in the sweet spot of driving the additional 5,000 miles in that year, and you desperately hated to change oil, what advantage did the product bring? You might as well just buy another container of EP and go another 15,000 miles and another year, effectively getting two years and 30,000 miles for the same cost.

I don't think ExxonMobil marketed the superior characteristics of the oil itself enough to make geeky people buy the oil on that aspect alone. It takes a lot of awesomeness to spend double for something.

I think this is right on. In my opinion AP is a good oil in its own right but the 20k oil life expectancy is only suitable for a few drivers who put hundreds of miles a day on their vehicles.

Now that EP can do the same it makes sense to eliminate AP. That should free up shelf space for the next M1 product line.

It takes a lot of awesomeness to spend double for something.

The boutique brands I'm interested in are Driven (GDI oils), HPL and Red Line. I feel those brands have a unique approach and offering.

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
I wish they had kept it.

Part of me does too, although it makes much more sense to have just (2) Mobil 1's. Mobil 1 EP is a well tested product with a proven track record.

People are cheap when it comes to oil. They will spend thousands on the car itself and gasoline.

You guys are spot-on. Like most things technical, getting another 33% performance improvement (5k miles) from an already good product doesn't cost 33% more - it costs a bunch more. It's the law of diminishing returns. Squeezing the last percentages of performance from any design costs inordinately more than the lesser designs. It's an exponential cost / benefit curve. The smart engineer / company knows where the knee in the curve is and provides most products at or just above the knee. That's what we did, anyway.

Boutiques are for the fan boys, swill is for the heap-keepers. With the mass market moving toward shorter OCI's due to government-mandated GDI engines (for CAFE fuel economy increases), sales of top performance oils like AP were bound to decrease, further increasing their price per unit volume. That's the death knell of a product for a mass market producer. I was involved in a few of those discontinuations myself.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

laugh.gif

I volunteered my time and my handled dusting feathers on visits to my nearest Walmart. Once a month, I would walk down the automotive aisle there and dust-off the Mobil-1 AP jugs that never sold.

Haha!
cheers3.gif

It is the casualty of the BITOG paradox; Members will change filters and oil 3 times more often as "cheap insurance" but won't pay extra to insure they don't have to.....

Back