Mobil 1 5W/30 04 Toyota 4runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to see a bad UOA on these Toyota 4.0L engines, every one is stellar regardless of motor oil grade or brand...that's the Toyota engineering.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
As someone said above, 1gr-fe's found in 4Rs manufactured prior to late 2005 are more prone to the headgasket cylinder 6 leak and subsequent misfire.

I have a 2005 and I caught the leak at 88k miles. I fixed it myself in Fall 2011 and haven't had any problems since. It has ~136k on it now.

Mine never overheated, nor have many of the others who have had this problem. I feel that it's a manufacturing defect. My heads required milling, though never overheated. That in combination with the fact that Toyota updated the headgaskets makes me believe so...

Here's my 4th gen...

...and my 2017 5th gen just because...
smile.gif

Nice looking rig! What signs did you catch that made you believe it was a HG leak?

Originally Posted By: dblshock

I know, it's dirty...running the Alanza A/S for summer tires here 46 degrees north 1.25" spacers 5100 Bilsteins up one click in front all dialed in from the shop...my run to work nowadays is 20mi. flat 55mph pulling 24 mpg on E091 TC-W3 spiked fuel...running/driving like new.

For a 2006 it sure looks well taken care of. That engine is just broke in.

Nice report. I doubt if by 190k you haven't had the hg issue that it should pop up now.

Have you always run synthetic in ur rig? I'm at 128k in my 07 and it has always been run on conventional. I was thinking of moving to syn and upping my oci but I'm semi worried some leaks may show up even tho there are none that I can see.

Also, when u go 7k do u reset ur maintenance light and then keep track of the additional 2k miles or just leave it in? (Random question but just curious)

Another question to op and the rest of the 4th gen owners here: does ur engine use any oil? Mine uses about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart over a 5k oci. Its been doing this since I got it at 98k.

Originally Posted By: jbn3500

Nice looking rig! What signs did you catch that made you believe it was a HG leak?

Thanks. We love our 4Runners.

I first noticed a rough idle at startup after sitting a while. That eventually manifested in cylinder 6 misfires. I sent off an oil sample, and suspicions were confirmed. See potassium in this report...

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
Another question to op and the rest of the 4th gen owners here: does ur engine use any oil? Mine uses about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart over a 5k oci. Its been doing this since I got it at 98k.

zero, the level never moves @140k and I do 7,500 OCI's

I run 2 sets of wheels...if anyone can share a way to get the TPMS warning lite to go out disabled would be appreciated.

Nice report. I doubt if by 190k you haven't had the hg issue that it should pop up now.

Have you always run synthetic in ur rig? I'm at 128k in my 07 and it has always been run on conventional. I was thinking of moving to syn and upping my oci but I'm semi worried some leaks may show up even tho there are none that I can see.

Also, when u go 7k do u reset ur maintenance light and then keep track of the additional 2k miles or just leave it in? (Random question but just curious)

I have always stayed with the mobil 1 because that is what the dealer said they put in them. I have always used the OEM oil filter as well. Seems to be a good filter and is cheap. I do reset the maintenance light every time it comes on. I have a small notebook I keep on all the maintenance I do on the vehicle, so I don't rely on the light at all.

Knock on wood, I have never had to add oil since I have owned it.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: dblshock
I run 2 sets of wheels...if anyone can share a way to get the TPMS warning lite to go out disabled would be appreciated.

Here you go...
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/108176-write-up-how-disable-bypass-tpms.html

If you want to use the TPMS with your summer wheels, you can just wire it up with a switch in the circuit.

Thanks for sharing that. I will be doing that to mine as well. Since were on that topic, does anyone know if the spare tire has a sesnor in it. I have never had to use it yet.

Nice report and 4Runner.

Im usually down about 1/2 qt by 10k so I add a 1/2 qt and push the OCI to 15-18k.

I bought a poorly-maintained '07 Limited last year as a project, OCIs in the 15K-30K range but run through the car wash diligently.

Minor sludge under the valve covers and timing cover, and a chronic P0016 bank 1 camshaft timing error. Main timing chain was worn and elongated as shown in the pic below, new Toyota chain vs. factory chain overall length comparison.

Replacing the chains and components is a PITA on this engine due to the big timing cover w/ 24 bolts, plus water pump and accessories that have to come off. No gasket on the big timing cover, just a bead of FIPG and a pair of o-rings for the oil pickup and filter outlet. It's been a leisure time project since mid-May and should be buttoned up over the 4th of July holiday.

Originally Posted By: crainholio
I bought a poorly-maintained '07 Limited last year as a project, OCIs in the 15K-30K range but run through the car wash diligently.

Minor sludge under the valve covers and timing cover, and a chronic P0016 bank 1 camshaft timing error. Main timing chain was worn and elongated as shown in the pic below, new Toyota chain vs. factory chain overall length comparison.

Replacing the chains and components is a PITA on this engine due to the big timing cover w/ 24 bolts, plus water pump and accessories that have to come off. No gasket on the big timing cover, just a bead of FIPG and a pair of o-rings for the oil pickup and filter outlet. It's been a leisure time project since mid-May and should be buttoned up over the 4th of July holiday.

Wow, what's the mileage? and 6 or 8 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back