Mobil 1 0W40, Chevrolet '02 Z28(LS1), 5058mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
...So in essense I'm saying the reason the LS1 does a little better on a 12-14cSt oil in PB reduction seems to be related only to the main bearing clearance ...

I don't see that 0w-40 did any better than 10w-30 in this application.
dunno.gif

Where is his 30wt analysis ?
smile.gif

I was speaking in general but I think if you were to locate Last_Z's tests you'll see what I mean .

But I do have multiple analyisis's of this oil in a family owned LS1 and in this particular engine and how it's driven it likes the 0w-40 mucho better .

The current interval in the Corvette was aborted to test a new oil that IMO will shock the LS1 world . Stay tuned
smile.gif

[ April 27, 2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

To all ... thx for the responses and input.

buster ... I use to run nothing but M1 10W30 and decided to try M1 0W40 this OCI ... I think the 0W40 did a little better.

Patman ... hopefully, I'll keep this car for a good while ... I intend to strive for lowest wear possible as well.

Mike ... thx for the counter point ... I like M1 filters as well.

Last Z ... I haven't made by Walmart to have a look yet

haley10 ... I'm undecided as to whether I'll use a K&N

Bror ... I've heard nothing but good things about Schaeffers

Motorbike ... good info ... thx

Jason ... thx for reposting the link

-JHH

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

quote:

...So in essense I'm saying the reason the LS1 does a little better on a 12-14cSt oil in PB reduction seems to be related only to the main bearing clearance ...

I don't see that 0w-40 did any better than 10w-30 in this application.
dunno.gif

Where is his 30wt analysis ?
smile.gif

I was speaking in general but I think if you were to locate Last_Z's tests you'll see what I mean .

I agree with Moto! I think the LS1 is better served with something at the very end of the 30W scale on up to light 50W.
Here is the report Moto speak of. The oil was run from ~7400 miles to 11,400, so the copper is still high. The other metals however, are low. The mix ended up at 12.2 cSt which is at the very high end of the 30W scale.
In less than a week I will drain my current oil (ST 10W-40) and will install M1 15W-50 with a brew of my own which consists of a pint of #132 and a bottle of Maxlife Engine Protector mixed together. The "brew" will be added at a rate of 50ml/qt. Can't wait to see how it feels!
gr_stretch.gif

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back