Mobil 1 0W-40 versus Mobil 0W-40 "Turbodiesel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's identical to the regular M1 0W-40. I wouldn't sweat it and use the cheaper version. How much does it cost you? 20 Euros per liter?

Jeffrey, tell us where you are living. I know that you can buy many top quality oils on the economy at places like Wal-Mart and dollar(euro) stores like PickRaus.

The Toyota that you're driving actually seems to recommend a 15W-40 diesel oil and has a rather large sump of 4,2 liter for a engine of this size. These light duty engines will work perfectly well with a basic ACEA B3 rated oil. You have many options other than the Mobil 0W-40 and you can get reasonably priced oils on the economy that meet your requirement for not too much money.

Give us some idea of where you live so we can get a idea of what the climate is like.

I live in Idar-Oberstein, Germany.

Based on the manual that came with my Toyota it seems to me that the recommended oil weight for the climate in Germany is in the range of 5w-40. We tend to ride the edge of 0c from November through February.

I don't have the manual with me at the moment, but I believe the recommended oil was to be "CH-1 or CF." Phrased in this manner I take it to mean that CH-1 is the best choice, but CF is OK. I haven't found anything that is rated CH-1. Perhaps it doesn't matter that much, but my understanding is that it would be optimal for me to have an oil that can handle the soot load of the engine. Isn't that what CH-1 indicates?

Well, you're at the northern part of a very temperate climate. The Pfalz region to your south has the nicest weather of all of Germany and is where their wine growing takes place due to the warm weather. I've spent time in Baumholder and to your west in Birkenfeld back during the great unpleasantness.

You mention winter temperatures of 0ºC which is a nice warm 32ºF so you won't have much problem with oil flow. I got the 15W-40 recommendation for your engine from a Lithuanian web page so your owners manual may differ. Keep in mind that if your owners manual is recommending API rated oils then they will be ratings such as CH, CF, CH-4, CI-4. These are generally ratings that have been tested in Class 8 heavy duty tractor-trailers and are quite excessive for your tiny little Yaris. However, you are very wise to follow the manual if that is what it is recommending. Don't hesitate to go to the Toyota dealership to get their recommendation and to have them explain the manual recommendations. They tend to be much more customer friendly and helpful than the dealers in the USA.

But since this topic was about the Mobil 0W-40, note that it is rated VW 505.00 (a diesel rating), ACEA B3/B4 (another diesel rating), API CF (one more diesel rating) so it will work great in your car. I realize you're in between autobahns but if you make it up to the A61 or down to the A62 then take the opportunity to run the little Toyota and let us know how it does at autobahn speeds (at least cruising at 160kps).

It's very likely the stuff in both bottles is the same. Quite usual marketing move. If this "Turbodiesel" version is really designed for diesels only, its additive package should differ from its gas cousin, but then we would see a difference in ash content and TBN.

quote:

then take the opportunity to run the little Toyota and let us know how it does at autobahn speeds (at least cruising at 160kps).

160 kilometers per second seems a little fast, even for the Autobahn.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

They are in fact two different oils. The Racing oil has much higher anti-wear additive levels

Mobil said the only difference is the high levels of ZDP. It's not that much different.
confused.gif

Phosphorus and zinc are increased by around 90%, calcium by 15% or so.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

tongue.gif
[/QUOTE]

Ohh moribundman, you know that when in Rome you should do as the Romans do. KPS is 'Kilometers pro Stunde" which would be 'Kilometers per hour' to the English speaking folk. Sorry for the confusion but if it makes you
grin.gif
then it's all good.

At the moment the very best autobahn trip has to be the drive from Munich to Berlin on the A9. This road is brand new and offers 6 lanes (3 in each direction) through the countryside of the former East Germany. There are no major cities to pass through but you do have to slow down to about 130 km(80 mph) when you cruise past Nurnberg. If you're going to make this trip then choose something fast from the mietwagen counter. I once emptied the fuel tank on a 5 series BMW in 45 minutes. I wish I'd checked my fuel economy but that thing was not delivering the gas mileage of a 3 liter Lupo, that's for sure.

FowVay,

I am in the Rheinland-Pfalz. I live in Idar-Oberstein, but I work in Baumholder. What do you mean by "back during the great unpleasantness?" Cold War?

Rumor (and you know how rumor is in military communities) has it that Baumholder will be closing in 2006. Good thing I didn't buy a house last year! It is true that we don't really need the current configuration of Army forces here in Germany, but I am still sad that the party is really coming to an end. It really is a great life here!

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

then take the opportunity to run the little Toyota and let us know how it does at autobahn speeds (at least cruising at 160kps).

tongue.gif

My wife and I drove the autobahn in the early 90's, we ran across Germany and Austria at 200 KPH and were regularly passed by machines running at least 250 KPH. It was a real joy to drive the Autobahn!
lol.gif

quote:

[Razz]

quote:

Ohh moribundman, you know that when in Rome you should do as the Romans do. KPS is 'Kilometers pro Stunde" which would be 'Kilometers per hour' to the English speaking folk. Sorry for the confusion but if it makes you [Big Grin] then it's all good.

Actually, FowVay, when in Germany I do as the Germans do and call it "KMH." When abbreviated, it's always called KMH. If you want, I'll gladly tell you what the "H" stands for.

Tschüß!
wink.gif

I'd rather hear what the 'M' stands for. I've never seen KMH on a speedometer or in any publication indicating speed.

And Tschüß back at ya!

Do you also wonder why "kilogram(m)" is abreviated with "kg"? The international and German abreviation for "kilometer" is "km."

"Kilo" bedeutet natürlich "1000" und "Meter" ist wohl sowieseo klar.
wink.gif

Auf dem Tacho von allen meinen Deutsche Autos steht entweder "KM/H" oder "KMH" drauf. Du mußt halt tatsächlich auf einen Tacho draufschauen und nicht nur wilde Behauptungen aufstellen!Kann schon sein das auf dem Tach von einem Küblewagen "KPS draufstand, is aber halt doch schon etwas lange her.

Oh, und "VW" reimt sich nicht so toll mit "FowWay."
tongue.gif

Tschüß!

All German speedos say "kmh" or "km/h." So does my US export Audi.

-

Just google images for "tacho" (Tachometer= speedometer)

http://www.s6plus.de/Galerie/S6PLUS_Tacho.jpg
http://www.mb190.de/190eusversion/bilder/tacho.jpg

[ November 06, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Oh Mori, you're too smart and worldy for me. I won't continue this any further.

Jeffrey, if you're still reading this thread maybe we can get together on my next visit to DE. I'm coming over next month for a visit and I wouldn't mind a drive back to your neck of the woods. Feel free to PM or e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back